The What Music Are You Listening To Thread

Chillin this eve, playing the new DOOM with the sound turned off accompanied by some of my Jazz favourites..

..etc

A bit odd I know (you're not the only ones) but it's something I enjoy doing.

Hey y'all. What should I be searching for, when I wnat more of this:
More of Jill Andrews it is not, that much I found out by myself. For starters, what do you call that genre?
[doublepost=1464520702,1464520411][/doublepost]Same genre?

Djoga'Ro: Sounds like a type of 80s/90s PopRock to me and some/many of those bands had a certain Bluegrass and Blues influence indeed.
It's a bit like "Roxette", the favourite band of my sister:

I'm listening to those Finns now:

Last edited:
@Klumpen Thanks. Didn't hear that PopRock until now. When it comes to describing music, I'v got the vocabulary of a 5-year-old. I know Ska and Not-Ska. :) Don't know what to say, what it is I'm after. The rhythm, the colour?
Roxette was definetely not what I was after - always found them somewhat boring.

@Djoga'Ro They had some better songs than the popular ones but I aggree, they tend to be a bit boring.

After 8 years of planning and choosing between the different tunings I finally got myself one of those (after selling some stuff) for an incredibly good price.
Mine's made from walnut and maple, lightweight and not skewed even 19 years after building (most hammered dulcimers are a bit distorted after a while due to the high tension, doesn't interfere with playing though). It's already great fun.

Last edited:
@Djoga'Ro Just sounds like country rock to me tbh. There's a short list of bands that specific song/sound reminds me of. Some of them might be irrelevant, depending on if you want female vocals.

Most notably, Zach Brown Band. As someone who doesn't like country, they're pretty fire, I think. Country rock's okay.
The Pretenders aren't (weren't?) country, but they sound a little similar.
Highly Suspect's prog rock (or alt rock, depending on how specifically you define the genres), so definitely not the same genre. Similar sound though. Some songs on Mister Asylum (Bloodfeather, Claudeland, Lydia) might be of interest to you, as well as Serotonia, which is a new single not on Asylum.
Heart is fantastic (though you probably already knew that), but might not be what you're looking for.

I tried.

Yeah, country rock's a good call.

That second video is bluegrass, I concur on that also. A different genre, though distant cousins I guess.

I'm going through my old CD rips at the moment, so I've been listening most recently to tracks like 'You can't go home again' by DJ Shadow:

(hopefully this software will leave that link alone, as all the yt vids on this page are making my browser crawl to a halt)
[doublepost=1464720364,1464720090][/doublepost]Nope. Oh well, never mind.

@tigerroast Thanks, naming it country/rock helps a bunch. Although searching for that a lot of touchy-feely stuff comes flying my way. Gotta duck and cover.

This' nice, too.

So odd actually seeing James Blake make those noises that I usually just hear in my headphones. Sadly, more recent stuff from him seems to have given up on the electronic drone tones, which always gave the songs structure to me.

aye! Magic!
Strange. The beginning is more of voice inflection, then comes the medieval melody part. I did not know that german/european music had that.
I find there are 3 types of music (disclaimer: I do not do music theory/musicology, also first draft, ideas welcome):
  • Music based on Melody. Just go up and down tone ladders. No inflection in the tone, just short staccato or long tones.
  • Music based on Rhythm. Tantra and tom-toms. A drum solo. No notes, no melody, just rhythm. Breakbeats. Also rapping falls into this (not that the lyrics say something significant nowadays...)
  • Music based on Noise. Distorted stuff (some metal bands, unintelligible and unable to get even which chord they are strumming). Disonance (using two notes that generate "bad frequencies")
Derivates:
  • Melody+Rhythm: Music based on inflections. Music from India and Arab music have that. Not much melody, just inflections.
  • Melody+Noise: Music based on synthesizers. Vocoders, where the noise is forced into a specific melodical tone.
  • Rhythm+Noise: Music based on sampling. Scratching.
So if you grow up with one, you could find the other subjectively boring. For example: Dutch house music is based on rhythm, and some simple, but repeating tones. Its called trance. Or a hey-yah hey-yah from American natives, which to untrained ears just sound the same, so it gets boring after the first minutes (with dutch trance I find it soooo boring that the beat takes like for ever to start... really... more than 3 minutes before the beat starts (maybe they get paid by the minute?).... at festivals people start to whistle and such.... you see, a real band just does "one more time" and makes the song longer that way. "Hey Jude" is a notable one).
Rhythm: "Rock the funky beats" falls into this. It does have a bass line, but, it is insignificant compared to the other elements.
I love synths for example. You can take 128 samples of... draw your noise, and it actually sounds pretty good if you play it in a loop (different that the defaults: sinus, triagle, sawtooth, etc)

I finally decided to check out The Soft Moon yesterday, after having supposedly been exposed to some sings through a few television series. Although somewhat simplistic, and not quite any of the things I typically listen to, there is enough there that I like that it might grow on me. The early stuff has a very 80s feel to me, with the most recent album moving toward a 90s sound. (I read a piece of a review on Wikipedia that mentioned it being more futuristic, which made me laugh.)

Here is the video for the title track from the most recent album. It is kinda fun. Enjoy!

Back