Release The Ur-Quan Masters

Maquis196

Ur_quan_masters_title.jpg

Download from repo

All, the repo version was the very old 0.6.2, so I compiled the 0.7.0 version on my pandora and here it is.

Now this is my first attempt at a PND, so if anything appears wrong let me know.

Enjoy.

Optionals;

3DO Voice Download

3DO Music Download

The above goes into appdata/uqm/content/addons/

Current Version - 0.7.0-r3

[25/9/2012]

Release 1 - First release

Release 2 - Changed PND to make voice and music optional. Reduced size of pnd to 14M from 160M

[28/9/2012]

Release 3 - Onpon4 rebuild

Last edited by a moderator:
What a coincidence, I was just now compiling UQM, though I was going to allow voices and remixes to be placed in the appdata directory rather than including them.

Are you planning on maintaining this?

What a coincidence, I was just now compiling UQM, though I was going to allow voices and remixes to be placed in the appdata directory rather than including them.

Are you planning on maintaining this?

I was debating a long time about the extras being in the appdata, what swung it was wanting a one-stop-shop pnd for this game. I had some serious issues telling the uqm binary where to find the content originally but learned a bit about appdata from other pnd's. Can always change it in the future. I want to look into squashfs as well, the uqm files are 140mb files then the uncompressed versions I'm using (figured less decompressing would be better for the better battery?)

Yes, I'm planning on maintaining this; as long as I have a working Pandora :)

Would it be confusing to have this and a "lite" version that used appdata separately? Or just bite the bullet and do it anyway... maybe include a script that will automatically download the required files into the right place?

This is one of the greatest games ever. The plot evolvement is nonlinear and time-based: you can miss important events while seeing others, somewhat like The Last Express by Jordan Mechner. The dialogues range from frequently hilarious to downright terrifying (Orz, anyone?)

The combat is very challenging but hopefully doable with pandora controls. You need to train (and perhaps consult google) to find effective tactics against each enemy species.

It is a masterpiece: cannot reccommend highly enough!

Would it be confusing to have this and a "lite" version that used appdata separately? Or just bite the bullet and do it anyway... maybe include a script that will automatically download the required files into the right place?

Oh I'm fully in support of having everything pre-included in the pnd - It saves complications and I would have to download the other files anyway.

I just only have about 100mb of data available to me that I have to stretch untill the 1st of next month.

Wait... you're including the data uncompressed? Why?

3 reasons - I installed the Debian version on my home box to see how the repo's did it and they were uncompressed (admittedly space isn't as big an issue on these). 2 - The music and voices are all compressed vorbis files anyway so shouldn't be much difference there. 3 - The files themselves are in the PND so the end user wouldn't know either way.

Again, I'm thinking of either using squashfs to get around the content (which is most likely where the space difference is coming from) or just going down the seperate appdata route.

I'm still not getting your reasoning... regular UQM uses compressed files. If you just use compressed files like UQM normally does, it's possible (easy, in fact) for the music and voices to be added by them.

lol, I was looking at compiling this not long ago. Cheers!

Having a PND issue here, I have the game working again with the extras (so voice and music) in appdata. However on the command line the --configdir=config works great, yet the --addondir=addons fails to work.

If I run the game manually with "--addondir=/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/uqm/addons/" it loads with the addons so I know the location and files are good. It's damn peculiar. Is there another variable I can use to point to the appdata with?

Having a PND issue here, I have the game working again with the extras (so voice and music) in appdata. However on the command line the --configdir=config works great, yet the --addondir=addons fails to work.

If I run the game manually with "--addondir=/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/uqm/addons/" it loads with the addons so I know the location and files are good. It's damn peculiar. Is there another variable I can use to point to the appdata with?

Silly me, $HOME/addons done the job nicely. Upload commencing :)

OK, so even though your PND works fine, I went ahead with my porting effort anyway. I haven't PND'd it, but I organized the file structure so that it's ready for that and came up with something that I think would result in a better experience on the Pandora (mostly just better defaults and automatically creating the content directory in AppData).

I actually really want to maintain this (because I really like the game, and I hate being powerless to push improvements and such to the Repo), but I guess you probably do too and I don't want to be confrontational, so can I at least convince you to use my setup or make similar improvements? As it is, your port doesn't really feel very native on the Pandora.

Well for me this pnd was for two reasons;

1. Only 0.6.2 available online so wanted something newer

2. Testing PND creation and what not.

Now my copy is very much vanilla and what not, and it pretty much just works. What if I gave you maintainer rights to the link above and then you can update to r3 or something, and in the future, either one of us can use the PXML file to create r4? Best thing you can do is include what ./configure options you used in a file on the pnd so the next person can use them if theres ever an update?

EDIT - onpon4, you have maintainer access.

OK, cool. I'll upload my version very soon, then (probably tomorrow since I have to write a paper today).

There's no special options in the config script (I just turned off the debug release setting), though I did manually modify some options in the config files to make the default paths "." and point to the right location for SDL. Most of everything else is just copying files that don't exist from a "default" folder via a shell script ("cp -r -n -v ./default/* ./default/.* ."); the content directory is there, and so is the .uqm directory, and that's how the defaults are set.

OK, the new PND is up.

Although this build is not derived from Maquis's build and I don't know for sure how he built UQM, I'm pretty sure the only differences with this new PND are the default controls (set to something more suitable for the Pandora), the categories (Strategy and RPG rather than Action; this makes more sense, and it's usually listed as a "strategy" game in GNU/Linux), the description (I wrote a completely different description), the directory where it looks for addons ("content/addons" rather than just "addons"), and the manual (it explains the quirks of the Pandora version vs. the regular version and is then followed by the normal manual; I don't know if Maquis's PND even had a readme, but if it did, I'm sure it's different), so if none of those changes matter to you (e.g. you have already set custom controls you're happy with), you should be fine not updating.

Note if you update to this version: it looks in a different place for settings than Maquis's build: appdata/uqm/.uqm. If you want to keep your settings from there, just copy the files from the directory the old PND uses ("config", I think) to .uqm.

Uhm... Ok. Exactly which optional files do I need to download?

Content:

and

But not these?:

These aren't real addon packs, just ordinary .zip files with some extra information and bonus material. If you want to use any of them in the game, you will need to make your own add-on .zip from their contents.

Can these be added? What do I do?

Back