Release The Ur-Quan Masters

Uhm... Ok. Exactly which optional files do I need to download?

Content:

and

But not these?:

These aren't real addon packs, just ordinary .zip files with some extra information and bonus material. If you want to use any of them in the game, you will need to make your own add-on .zip from their contents.

Can these be added? What do I do?

Like the page says, the ones at the bottom you listed aren't packages, so no, you don't need those (and indeed, the game can't use them). They're for people that want to listen to the remixes outside of the game, I think. If you want the remixes in the game, you need the actual packs (uqm-remix-disc1|2|3.uqm).

uqm-0.7.0-content.uqm is necessary, but it is included with the PND, so no, you don't need to download it (actually, if you look in your appdata directory, you will find it in content/packages once you run the game). The rest of them are optional. (I hope the link to the dictionary doesn't offend you, I'm just getting the feeling you might be overlooking the meaning of "optional"; if they were needed, they wouldn't be optional. :) )

uqm-0.7.0-voice.uqm will add voices, uqm-0.7.0-3domusic.uqm will allow you to use the 3DO music (instead of the included PC music), and the three remix packs will allow you to use the official modern remixes (again, instead of the included PC music).

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, looking good dude. I mostly ripped of sigma.nl's PXML file with mine hence action (I agree its strategy).

Sweet, this people; is how a game is maintained :)

I just finished compiling Shiver's Balance Mod (about to test before packaging), but I'm not sure if it should be included with the regular PND in an update or made a separate one. If it's a separate PND, it will have to include the UQM data (making it about the same size as the UQM PND), so that might be a waste, but if it's included in the main PND, the size will be increased by about 2 MB and both vanilla UQM and the balance mod will have the same icon. In either case, I can make sure it shares the same appdata directory as vanilla UQM so they share settings.

Thoughts, anyone?

Alright, there were no responses in the past few hours, but I've decided to keep vanilla UQM and the balance mod separate for now. They can be merged in the future if it's desired.

In other news, someone at #uqm-arena noticed that I completely screwed up the license info on the PND, so I'm uploading a new version that fixes this. UQM isn't under the GPL v3+, but under a combination of GPLv2+, CC-BY, and CC-BY-NC-SA.

I've uploaded the license fix for UQM and I've also uploaded the balance mod, but damn, that icon that I used in the Balance Mod is ugly. I've made a slight edit that makes it look much better (just making the ship fill the space of the icon rather than just being in some random location) and I'll update the PND with it.

EDIT: the version of the balance mod with the better icon has been uploaded.

I just made an update to both UQM and the balance mod a couple hours ago, so I should probably post here.

I changed the default override.cfg so you can now zoom in with the "+" key (Fn-F) and you can zoom out with the "_" key (Fn-Y). I thought I had set the + key to zoom in before, but I guess I must have made an error. Note that to get the new default config, you need to delete appdata/uqm/.uqm/override.cfg (if you don't, the old configuration will be maintained).

Other than that, the only really noticeable change is fixing up the manual to give pointers on how to play netgames and how to edit override.cfg.

Good idea to keep the balance mod seperate. It is intented for PvsP meelee, not single player game.

I downloaded the game, ran it, then downloaded:

b78e0606325810f9f2e9ec786191c01b content/addons/uqm-0.7.0-voice.uqm

and was surprised to find no speech playback in game.

The problem was that speech volume was set to 0% in settings->sound. I do not know if this was a result of starting the game first without speech pack or if it defaults to zero. I think maintainer should set speech to default to 100%.

IMO, speech is the only addon you should download. You get the default music included with the base install (and it is very good: i prefer it over the remixed music).

I downloaded the game, ran it, then downloaded:

b78e0606325810f9f2e9ec786191c01b content/addons/uqm-0.7.0-voice.uqm

and was surprised to find no speech playback in game.

The problem was that speech volume was set to 0% in settings->sound. I do not know if this was a result of starting the game first without speech pack or if it defaults to zero. I think maintainer should set speech to default to 100%.

Ah, thanks for that. I guess UQM sets the volume to 0 if it doesn't find the speech pack. I didn't have the speech pack when I ran it to get the default config file, so that would be why. And I didn't notice because I decided not to use the voices personally.

I'll upload a fix to this soon. Anyone else having this problem: all you need to do is increase the speech volume (in the Sound Options menu) from 0 to 100.

However, my understanding is that, even if I change the default config to the preferred one, anyone starting the game without the game without the voices in the appdata directory will still have this issue; getting this PND set up is normally done by first running UQM, so most people will therefore not notice the change, but at the very least, you'll be able to just nuke the .uqm directory to get it working.

EDIT: It seems that it allows you to set speech volume to a non-zero value even without having voices (only makes it zero as the default), so the next update should fix the problem. :)

Alright, I've updated the PND, so no one else should experience that problem. If you are updating, note that the new default will not take effect unless you delete appdata/uqm/.uqm/uqm.cfg. It's not necessary to update to fix the voice problem, though; just adjust the voice volume in the sound options menu to 100.

I also made remixes "enabled" by default, so that if you drop the remix packs in the addons folder you will hear them right away rather than having to enable remixes first (again, if you're updating, you won't get the new default unless you delete the config file you have first, but you can just as easily enable the remixes in the sound options menu).

Thanks for the quick fixes onpon4 and thank you for bringing one of the greatest games ever to the happy owners of the OpenPandora!

I'm a bit surprised you played without speech files, I think they are a great addition. Oh well, there's no accounting for taste. The Ur Quan voices are really fearsome. And the Orz ... MAN they creeped me out.

When I did a port of UQM for another handheld, I began adding a difficulty slider for settings which simply adjusted combat speed. Sadly I lost the source. Might be an intersting thing to add to the Pandora version someday.

Speaking of taste, I also loved Lode Runner and like your Lode Runner Forever site - nice design, and I wish you best of luck with NALC.

Cheers!

Well, I'm extremely late with this, but I've uploaded version 2.05 of the Balance Mod: http://repo.openpand...859134553942137

Changes are:

2.05.0.0 changes:

- Long-standing desynch bug fixed.

- Mirror matches (both players having the same ship) now have markers to make it easier to tell which ship is yours.

- Retreat Mod added (choose Balance Mod + Retreat in the menu to play it). This mod allows ships to retreat in Melee, with some restrictions. Note that the Retreat Mod cannot communicate with the vanilla Balance Mod properly in a netgame.

NOTE: You have to delete the Balance Mod effects package, found in appdata/uqm/content/addons, if you're upgrading from a previous version.

Only a week after I packaged the last version, version 2.06 of the Balance Mod is out. This latest version has now been packaged. Changes are:

- Balance Mod and Retreat mod merged; it is now called the Improved Netmelee Mod.

- Retreating is disabled by default. Enable and configure it in the Advanced Settings menu.

- Retreated ships now indicate their crew level in the ship selection.

- A timer now shows how long there is until you can retreat.

- Various bug fixes.

Thanks for the work onpon4! Do you recommend the new mod version for single player campaign?

Thanks for the work onpon4! Do you recommend the new mod version for single player campaign?

No. It's designed for melee. Vanilla UQM is better for the campaign for the most part. It might not be so bad against the cyborg in the future, though, because apparently the team working on it is working on A.I. improvements (like picking good ships).

Forgot to mention: if you're upgrading from a previous version, you need to delete any old Balance Mod effects packages. This time, not doing it will cause the game to crash, probably because the package format has changed.

Not much is gained on the pandora's small screen. Besides, some of the font colors are too dark to read. Beginner mistake to not use red and green components in your dark blue.

Still one of the most entertaining games ever made!

Just started playing this again and... the space combat is just way too fast for me. Using the combat computer isn't really an option since you lose so many battles with it.

What would make this "winnable" for me would be a version with half-speed combat. Onpon4, would you be interested in hacking the game for this?

If not, could you upload your sources, or possibly a diff with your pandora changes?  I can hack the combat to be slower.

What would make this "winnable" for me would be a version with half-speed combat. Onpon4, would you be interested in hacking the game for this?
The game is certainly winnable. Actually, the AI is so incredibly stupid, winning is much too easy. You just need more practice.

As I said in a PM, I didn't change the UQM source code; all that's different in this Pandora port is the configuration (some different controls to better suit the Pandora, and some altered build settings to make it search for config files in "." rather than "~/.uqm").

Back