The Tv-out Rundown

naples39

So I figured it's about time to get a tv-out cable and enjoy some retro on the bigscreen. Just have a few questions before ordering that I'm sure others must be curious about as well....

First off, is gbax the only place we can be sure of getting 'second-run' cables? I'm in the US and was hoping to save a few bucks on shipping by ordering from gp32z, but it's obviously not worth it if they have the crap cables. Anyone order one form there?

My second question would be about compatibility. What emus currently work with tv out? nkNES? squidgesnes? DrMD? MAME? GNUboy? gngeo? I know I've read some people say had problems with DrMD. Is that confirmed?

For those emus that currently don't work, how hard is it for devs to go back and add support? Is that something a future firmware might fix and make all emus compatible in one swoop?

I preordered a cable from gp32z at the same time i preordered my 2x, so im assuming i have a first gen cable. I only tested it for about 15 mins, but it worked perfectly for me.. i guess i got lucky.

From my tests:

DrMD = NO
GNUboy = NO
MAME = NO
gngeo = YES
TILEMATCH= YES

Not great compatibility yet but... SvsC Chaos, Garou MoW & Metal Slug on big screen is really great!

Tested in PAL mode.

Working.

Another world - R.A.W.

Duke2X.

Flashback - Reminiscence.

Hexen - uhexen.

NK's NES.

Noiz2sa.

Oldplay.

Doom - PrBoom.

Quake.

Tilematch.

Vice.

Wolf3D.

Mainly working.

GnGeo2X - horizontal banding evident, especially aparent in vertical scrollers.

Beats of Rage - refresh rate makes image flicker onscreen, uncomfortable on the eyes, worse in NTSC.

Not working

DrMd.

Gnuboy.

Mamegp2X

Outcast.

PC Engine.

Squidgesnes.

And of course video playback works, but has highlighted to me the Divx audio sync issues in frimware 1.2.1.

:D

sms plus 2x was working on mine then i put the newer version on and it stopped working on tv out

Hokutoy posted on Feb 1 2006 at 04:13 PM said:
Not great compatibility yet but... SvsC Chaos, Garou MoW & Metal Slug on big

I know its off topic , but what do you use to run SvsC Chaos i have the files but dont know what emu to use

(naw)mcx

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the emulators don't work fully on the tv out but they'll be updated to work on the next release of them. The tv outs are great as you can play movies on the tv using the gp2x and their perfect.

adgloride posted on Feb 1 2006 at 03:41 PM said:
Some of the emulators don't work fully on the tv out but they'll be updated to work on the next release of them. The tv outs are great as you can play movies on the tv using the gp2x and their perfect.

Well yeah, that is the hope, but there are no guarantees there. Kinda sucks that compatibility is so low right now, but I doubt that will stop me from getting one soon. What is it about the software that makes the image output work fine to the 2x screen, but go crazy on the tv-out?

naples39 posted on Feb 1 2006 at 07:50 PM said:
adgloride posted on Feb 1 2006 at 03:41 PM said:

Well yeah, that is the hope, but there are no guarantees there. Kinda sucks that compatibility is so low right now, but I doubt that will stop me from getting one soon. What is it about the software that makes the image output work fine to the 2x screen, but go crazy on the tv-out?
It's to do with screen sizes and scaling. Basically, the library that most emulators use, ryleh's minilib, has a little problem with scaling for TV that makes it scale to only half screen-size. Problem solved by scaling manually and detecting whether or not it's outputting to TV.

nickspoon posted on Feb 1 2006 at 03:59 PM said:
It's to do with screen sizes and scaling. Basically, the library that most emulators use, ryleh's minilib, has a little problem with scaling for TV that makes it scale to only half screen-size. Problem solved by scaling manually and detecting whether or not it's outputting to TV.

Hmmm, I suspected it was something to do with Ryleh's minilib that everyone was using. Sounds like an easy fix though, so hopefully the devs will implement it soon.

(naw)mcx posted on Feb 1 2006 at 05:59 PM said:
Hokutoy posted on Feb 1 2006 at 04:13 PM said:
Not great compatibility yet but... SvsC Chaos, Garou MoW & Metal Slug on big

I know its off topic , but what do you use to run SvsC Chaos i have the files but dont know what emu to use

(naw)mcx

To play SvsC Chaos you need Gngeo2x 0.6.7b emulator.
SvcC Chaos is too big so you need dumpgfx for Windows to dump the gfx.

So use the tool and put svscchaos rom and the svscchaos.gfx in the roms folder and it will run.

Sorry for my crappy english B)

Back