The Telcolou Psp Battery Poll™

What battery are you using in your PSP?

• The stock one that came with it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After market standard capacity battery

• After market extra-capacity battery

• Battery? I lost mine in the catastrophic wormhole incident and use the AC plug

• Total voters

T

TelcoLou

Just curious .. I've had my PSP since 9:30 am on launch day and have been using the same battery .. wondering if I should 'upgrade'. All comments welcome :D

Mine is kinda shot....I have to stick metal on the contacts/pray after not using it for a while as the battery drains completely and wont recharge unless I fiddle around. It worked 2 times, but I fear the 3rd time it'll be trash :(

Should I upgrade? Anyone? :unsure:

I have three batteries - the original which works great still and I have a Sony aftermarket extra capacity battery that is very good and actually does seem to give some extra play time. I also have a MadCatz aftermarket "extra capacity" battery that came in a kit with a charger - it doesn't seem to last as long as either of the Sonys, and dies "suddenly" without triggering the flashing green LED warning for any significant period of time - this happened to me while playing Final Fantasy VII just a few days back and I lost about two hours of my game as a result; really pissed me off! :angry: So, I don't like the MadCatz one, though I still use it some (but cautiously!)... I sure won't buy another MadCatz battery though...

shinneri posted on Mar 22 2007 at 12:28 AM said:
I use the standard battery, and I hate how its power drains so quickly when you aren't even using it. Much, much quicker than any of Nintendo's rechargeable battery systems.
I suspect you're just putting your PSP to sleep and not turning it OFF. See the manual, but basically, you have to HOLD the power button UP for something like 5 seconds to actually turn OFF your PSP, otherwise it just enters sleep mode... There is no significant power drain on the battery when the system is actually turned off.

Last edited by a moderator:
jimid2 posted on Mar 22 2007 at 01:19 PM said:
I have three batteries - the original which works great still and I have a Sony aftermarket extra capacity battery that is very good and actually does seem to give some extra play time. I also have a MadCatz aftermarket "extra capacity" battery that came in a kit with a charger - it doesn't seem to last as long as either of the Sonys, and dies "suddenly" without triggering the flashing green LED warning for any significant period of time - this happened to me while playing Final Fantasy VII just a few days back and I lost about two hours of my game as a result; really pissed me off! :angry: So, I don't like the MadCatz one, though I still use it some (but cautiously!)... I sure won't buy another MadCatz battery though...

shinneri posted on Mar 22 2007 at 12:28 AM said:
I use the standard battery, and I hate how its power drains so quickly when you aren't even using it. Much, much quicker than any of Nintendo's rechargeable battery systems.
I suspect you're just putting your PSP to sleep and not turning it OFF. See the manual, but basically, you have to HOLD the power button UP for something like 5 seconds to actually turn OFF your PSP, otherwise it just enters sleep mode... There is no significant power drain on the battery when the system is actually turned off.
Actually the psp drains when it is fully off after a few weeks, whereas the DS lasts months.

I never turn it off, unless something crashes.

Sleep mode rocks B)

ive been using my battery since i purchased it in december, and i say it lasts quite well (i use it all day during school, with playing music and homebrew) tho i would like an aftermarket one which would probably make it better (imo i like the psp's battery, also didnt use it for a good week or two and the battery was fine (it was lower) but that was expected)

Goemon4 posted on Mar 22 2007 at 08:20 PM said:
also didnt use it for a good week or two and the battery was fine (it was lower) but that was expected)
That's the whole point. It drains fast. ;)

It was lower in 1-2 weeks, imagine after a month ;)

gotta point ;) but it wasnt a huge drain (it probably went from 90% to like 70%) im not huge on batteries draining but it isnt that bad, but when in use its fine tbh, like i said i use it all day and it dosnt die out on me, imo its a godo stock battery, but an after market battery is probably alot better

purple_goat posted on Mar 22 2007 at 10:09 PM said:
funny story: my bricked psp ran out of batteries so I recharged it...
didn't do much good but whatever :p

... I don't get it ...

let me use m interpreting skillz.... ok, he went to either upgrade or downgrade his psp, but the battery died in the process, so he went to charge it but it was already bicked, so it didnt to much good

(am i right?)

Been using the stock battery that came with my PSP purchased October last year. I'm impressed with how long it lasts after seeing ongoing reports of shortened battery life. Mind you I've only been playing PSP & PSX games so far.... that may change whenever I finally get around to installing the N64 emu & run at 333mhz.... or whatever.

I got a big surprise a few months back. Playing a gasme, didn't notice the flashing green light, and the PSP shut off at 3% (as it does). At the time I didn't know that it only went into sleep mode, and so thought I had lost my recent playing. Imagine my surprise next morning when I plugged in the AC adapter, turned on and the game sprang back into life right where if had turned off.

SO yeah, um, back on topic, Lou... if you're still satisfied with the battery, why upgrade? Note *IF*. If not, then yeah, whatever. Knock yourself out.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 23 2007 at 06:22 AM said:
TelcoLou posted on Mar 22 2007 at 10:33 PM said:
purple_goat posted on Mar 22 2007 at 10:09 PM said:
funny story: my bricked psp ran out of batteries so I recharged it...
didn't do much good but whatever :p

... I don't get it ...
I don't either, but ok...
nah, I just mean I have that little to do :)

Back