The Sega dreamcast.

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
I do so love this machine. It came at a particular time in my life and I purchased it on impulse on the day of release.

I saw a crowd gathering in a nearby shop and went to see what the fuss was. Twenty minutes later i had purchased a Dreamcast, Vmu and Sonic Adventure.

Most played console ever. 

My friends played the shit out of it too.

My original console is now a doorstop but i have a replacement unit.

It still lives on and many cool games are still released for it, not to mention hardware add-ons.

Upcoming games http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/01/17/upcoming-sega-dreamcast-games-in-2015/127848/

Sturmwind, a great shmup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9mdItmoBs

I know many folk here know all about this but what the heck.

What are your thoughts on the Sega Dreamcast? Do you love it and if so why?

As of now the Dreamcast indie scene is in rude health and long may it prosper.

The ghost blade is imminent...

I have three of them, still mostly just play soul calibur on it.

It's a great console.  Both ahead and behind of its time, technologically speaking.  With no T&L hardware, the CPU is taxed pretty heavily even though there is a vector unit with a 128-bit bus which could work on a matrix and vector or vector and vector.  Of course, it has a built-in modem (later broadband and LAN adapters came out) and the VMU/VM/VMS (depending on your region) added an additional bonus feature, such as mini-games or character status (if there was an LCD on the device).  Also, there is support for Dolby Surround, though no game ever licensed it (at least as far as I'm aware).  I'm not sure if it was the first console to offer DLC, however, I'm almost certain it was the first to have Windows support which unfortunately resulted in a few lazy ports.  If only those developers had taken the time to use SEGA's libraries instead.  At least it offered an easy path for development.  Another neat feature was the ability to use your VMU with certain arcade machines, though I've never used this feature.

Currently, I'm working on a game for the Dreamcast, which is for my personal edification and not for public consumption.  Such a versatile console with a lot of power for what is available.

Every year I play Shenmue from December 3rd onward for an hour a day, I'm always playing Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, and I've been playing Illbleed, and Carrier as of late.  The console I got on November 14th 1999 suffered from a bad IC on the GD-ROM board earlier this year, which burned some traces and meant I had to get another unit.  I'm still looking at fixing the original one when I can find the time to do so.

It wasn't my favorite console that generation, but it had some really great things going on.  I was never really into Sega consoles, so it may be my favorite one (I did play a lot of Genesis with friends, so it is a bit of a toss up).  I still think the controller is annoying for a few reasons, but one silly little thing I like is the VMU being a second screen that can be taken out and be used to play games as well.  I never showed the Dreamcast the love it deserved, but I do love it.

Dreamcast is in my Top 10 All Time greatest home console ever created list.
As of right now, same here.

My thoughts (top of my head).

What killed SEGA Dreamcast

- SEGA's crap marketing

- People were waiting for the more powerful (higher poly count) console...PS2

- EA not wanting to support Dreamcast

- Expensive memory card with a crappy screen that'll eats batteries for breakfast

- SEGA SATURN left a bad taste in Western gamers' mouths

That's all I can think of atm.

I think the Dreamcast was my first dabble in piracy on original hardware....so there's that?

well I just got a faulty dreamcast that refuses to work from a friend a few days ago with a bunch of games (Sonic adventure, capcom vs snk, metropolis street racer and the rest were lame ass games like uefa dream soccer) and 2 controlers and a vmu with all the cables.

Im planing on buying a new one and grab some nice cheap sega games like ouse of the dead 2, phantasy star online, sega rally... fucking hell it's such a great console I cant wait to be abble to play the shit out of it!!!

AND THE NEW RELEASES GOD SUCH A GREAT CONSOLE AND  CANT PLAY IT

well I just got a faulty dreamcast that refuses to work from a friend a few days ago with a bunch of games (Sonic adventure, capcom vs snk, metropolis street racer and the rest were lame ass games like uefa dream soccer) and 2 controlers and a vmu with all the cables.

Im planing on buying a new one and grab some nice cheap sega games like ouse of the dead 2, phantasy star online, sega rally... fucking hell it's such a great console I cant wait to be abble to play the shit out of it!!!

What's the issue? If it powers on okay, but has trouble reading discs you may be able to fix this yourself. 

http://shibathedog.1emu.net/gd_rom_align.htm

I don't really know much about this console but... Come on, it's older (not much :) ) than the PS2 but someone still releases games for this thing. I don't want it, because I am not that interested in gaming but, it is supported (well, not officially) for 16 years!

This console is way cool. We had one back in the days, then sold it for the PS2.

My brother bought one in 2005 or so, but we lost it during moving. Must be hidden in a cardboard box since 2007.

I always wondered. As we have DVD players now, can't we either convert GD-ROMs to DVDs or use the added precision of DVD to burn real GD-ROMs on CD-R ?

As far as I know, it's nothing but more precise and compact CD writing, so it should be doable either by player flashing or software-controlled burning, right ?

What's the issue? If it powers on okay, but has trouble reading discs you may be able to fix this yourself. 

http://shibathedog.1emu.net/gd_rom_align.htm
I'll tell you the issue it has, the dreamcast is crashes when booting, but runs the games perfectly when I managed to run anything on it.

It does have the light on when I power it, however Iuntill now I onlly had 2 playing sessions with it (wich were a struggle) and the dreamcast sooner or later doesnt display anything but a black screen :(

and I swere it isnt the AV cable!

EDIT

I just found out what the issue was, the metal pins inside the power management section of the dreamcast were disconected and  I FIXED IT!!!!!

this video saved my dreamcast, BTW TrashyMG you inspired me to get some balls, search better the issue and see the dreamcast naked ;)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/lOzyKXkMNNg?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, my original console eventually suffered from the reseting problem, a swift whack on the console itself restored it to normal, not a recommended course of action but it works.

Sega were owned by a MUCH larger corporation that needed money. As such this corporation made the dreamcast responsible for bringing them into profit again or shoring up losses.

In other words the DC had an impossible task. If it were only meant to be a success for Sega and bring profits in for Sega only, then it was and would have been more successful.

Stupid!

Back