THE REASON WHY AN ATAPI INTERFACE IS SO IMP.

bruce leeroy

Still Fresh
When I found out about the project where a GBA was hooked up to an ATAPI harddrive and CDROM, I nearly stained my underwear. Who the hell cares about CDROMS and harddrives----Compact Flash cards ARE COMPATIBLE WITH ATAPI, PIN FOR PIN--they look just like a regular harddrive. A GBA compact flash adapter didn't seem so hard to make all of a sudden---forget all the flash 2 linkers and crap.

GBA runs off of an ARM7, so why is this not feasible with an ARM9, like the GP32? hell a good portion of the code should be compatible. Screw adding another battery, use a TINY switchmode 95% efficient step-up converter from Http://www.linear.com or http://www.national.com---they have TONS of VERY CHEAP fixed voltage step up converters. As for the I/O, I suppose a level translator would be necessary----this really sucks, cause IDE ports have 50 pins---but not impossible.

I can't understand why ANY OTHER FORMAT would even be considered other than compact flash when designing a new digital product.

bruce leeroy posted on Jul 17 2003 said:
GBA runs off of an ARM7, so why is this not feasible with an ARM9, like the GP32? hell a good portion of the code should be compatible. Screw adding another battery, use a TINY switchmode 95% efficient step-up

----this really sucks, cause IDE ports have 50 pins---but not impossible.
1. OK. The software shouldn't be the problem, but where do you put the CF-Card?
On a Cable, hanging out of your GP?

2. IDE-Ports have 40 Pins. Only Notebook-CD-Drives have 50.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back