The Monster In My Pocket

vaustein

Thanks to the Energizer 2500 mAh rechargeable AA batteries I'm using, my GP2X MK2 w/ FW 2.0 functions as an MP3 player for many hours without a recharge. I'd like to stop using my Creative MuVo
and use the (albeit much larger) GP2X as my main portable MP3 player.

However, I would like to place the GP2X in my pants pocket while the GP2X is turned on and playing music.
For example, the GP2X fits in the front hip pocket of my shorts, which I wear during workout at the gym. I'm concerned that keeping it in my pocket during use could cause overheating from lack of ventilation. Is this a plausible concern, or is it safe to use this way?

This may seem goofy, but I'm serious ;) Thanks!

Wrong forum.

Any damage incurred is your own fault. Real gamers don't carry their precious GP2X in their pockets.

Don't listen to TelcoLou, he's just cranky and old :)

Although he's probably right about the forum... if you put this in "I need help" it would probably be more likely to be found by other people in the future who have the same question.

There's no problem with overheating, no matter what else is going on in that region of your anatomy! My main concern is that the screen will get scratched and that is something you really don't want. Also, consider that when the GP2X is in your pocket the buttons/joystick may get activated and start skipping tracks etc.

Good advice. I guess if there's anything hard/sharp that could scratch the screen in or near my pocket, then it's a bad idea. And no, I'm not trying to be adolescent ;)

Thanks for the replies, guys!

well, as long as he doesn't hit select none of the buttons should work and the screen should stay off... if you're planning on doing this get a GP2X screen protector and you should be fine (although what do I know I'm just a crazy old fool in a double beer cap... and I don't even drink!)

if the shorts are baggy and it moves around enough due to the idiotic design of the battery connectors they might bend and making the battery not be connected anymore, which is annoying because then you have to get like a flat object to bend them back.

if the shorts are baggy and it moves around enough due to the idiotic design of the battery connectors they might bend and making the battery not be connected anymore, which is annoying because then you have to get like a flat object to bend them back.
I wouldn't worry about this one, you usually have to drop it to bend it.

I see it is a MK2, it shouldn't have un-springy terminals.

Last edited by a moderator:
While we're on the subject of the Mk2 battery compartment... I am finding that with my 2400Mah batteries I have to use a sharp object to prise them out to recharge. But I have 1700Mah ones that fit much more loosely and come out easily.

I thought AA's were supposed to be a standard size. Why does this happen? Is there any problem with me having to use force to get the batteries out? I have no choice ATM.

Just bought a Mk2 for my son (actually I 'd like one to develop for it..) and found it very difficult to get the batteries out(!).

Only had a quick play of the in-built game (Vectrex) and was reasonably impressed - time will tell if my son is so taken with it - hopefully, initially if I get outcast & mame installed he'll be happy.. Although he'll probably be happiest when the PS1 emulator is playable and I can ISO all his old games :)

Kev

Hey.....

Is that a GP2X in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me???

:D :D :D

DSR

While we're on the subject of the Mk2 battery compartment... I am finding that with my 2400Mah batteries I have to use a sharp object to prise them out to recharge. But I have 1700Mah ones that fit much more loosely and come out easily.

I thought AA's were supposed to be a standard size. Why does this happen? Is there any problem with me having to use force to get the batteries out? I have no choice ATM.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, batteries do come in different sizes, no name brands being more likely to have weird sizes, I found the 2500mAh Energizers fit fine, they are usually about $10 for 4, or less in a bulk pack from Sam's Club or similar.

It all depends on how much force, I would use a medium/small screwdriver so that I was assured of exactly how much force I applied, I wouldn't use the battery case cover, it could break and possibly cut you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back