Turn My Gp2x Into An Automatic Music Player For My Car

fatjake

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hello,
I must admit that I have not been using my gp2x much lately, but I recently found a very good use for it. I do not own an MP3 player, so I would like to turn my GP2X into one for my car (with my 2 gig SD card). I am going to build a circuit to power my gp2x out of my cars fuse box so that it always turns on when the car turns on.

I want it to auto boot into a music player and then run a playlist (on shuffle would be best, but i can just randomize the playlist beforehand if necessary).

I first tried to get this to work with oldplay, but although I could get oldplay to start automatically, I could never get it to autorun a playlist (m3u or pls). Actually, I could never get it to run a playlist (m3u) even by hitting buttons.

I have also looked at craigamp and that does not seem to do what i want, although maybe It just isn't documented.

this is what I would like to happen:

1) Car interior turns on, GP2X is switched on at same time key is turned (i take care of this part), so it turns on.
2) GP2X Boots and autoruns a music player, with a command line switch to run a playlist with all my music (on shulffle)

I would like this to happen in a way where I never have to touch the gp2x unless I want to.

MP3 is the only required format, but .mod and .xm and maybe .wma are bonuses.

I think that oldplay can do this, but its readme does not say how to start aplaylist from command line, and I am not top notch at linux stuff. If anybody could help me, I would send them my gratefulness, or maybe 5 USD over paypal (sorry for the sorry state of the USD).

edit the autorun.gpe to get a program to launch automatically

I recommend OMMPC for it's nice playlist functionality. and it resumes from the place you left off. Of course, if you exit by killing power to the gp2x it won't save the last spot.

Sounds like something like mpg123 will do what you want - it's a console based, command line driven mp3 player. You could write a simple shell script to tell it what to do, shuffle songs, etc.

I wouldn't power the 2x from your fuse box however - I'd power it from the permanent feed to your radio (maybe using the accessory line to control a fet which powers your gp2x). That way, it'll go on and off with ignition.

Craigamp can do that, just load the playlist start it playing in random mode and exit. It wil auto resume next time you run it.

You can also shuffle dirs etc. too.

fatjake said:
Hello,
I must admit that I have not been using my gp2x much lately, but I recently found a very good use for it. I do not own an MP3 player, so I would like to turn my GP2X into one for my car (with my 2 gig SD card). I am going to build a circuit to power my gp2x out of my cars fuse box so that it always turns on when the car turns on.

I want it to auto boot into a music player and then run a playlist (on shuffle would be best, but i can just randomize the playlist beforehand if necessary).

I first tried to get this to work with oldplay, but although I could get oldplay to start automatically, I could never get it to autorun a playlist (m3u or pls). Actually, I could never get it to run a playlist (m3u) even by hitting buttons.

I have also looked at craigamp and that does not seem to do what i want, although maybe It just isn't documented.

this is what I would like to happen:

1) Car interior turns on, GP2X is switched on at same time key is turned (i take care of this part), so it turns on.
2) GP2X Boots and autoruns a music player, with a command line switch to run a playlist with all my music (on shulffle)

I would like this to happen in a way where I never have to touch the gp2x unless I want to.

MP3 is the only required format, but .mod and .xm and maybe .wma are bonuses.

I think that oldplay can do this, but its readme does not say how to start aplaylist from command line, and I am not top notch at linux stuff. If anybody could help me, I would send them my gratefulness, or maybe 5 USD over paypal (sorry for the sorry state of the USD).

Thank you ALL for the replies, I will be able to figure something out with the suggestions. I will post again with pics once I build my power circuitry and let you know how it worked!

Last edited by a moderator:
Parkydr said:
You might want to do something like this.

Now this is something i like the look of...! I always thought there was room to use the GP2X in car and its great to see some people have already started playing with the idea.

My best mate is a car audio expert (been running his own business for 10 years!) and has been modding cars for a long time, ill run this thread past him later today and see what he thinks. Hopefully he can offer some decent input... ill let u know....

One other idea i had was if its possible to run satnav through the GP2X, or maybe thats a step too far :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back