The marketing of crowdfunded free software, open hardware (OP, n900, novena, pyra)

Would be a really good idea to tell the story of the pandora, ED is very good at that, and he is extremely unbiased in doing so.

I think that is a tangent story, and that the story of the pandora is better told without too much mention of him.

Artistically it would be nice to break down the story in numbers and animations too.

Both the pandora, and the pyra, as two different stories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both the pandora, and the pyra, as two different stories.
I, as well as most people here, know that... but you'll need massive amounts of communication to carry that to people that aren't stalking here...

You seem to forget that neither isnt all that well known to the same group of people. Clear communication is key. I got some ideas, but im honing them. Needs to be told once, well.

Novena did 700k on its campaign, so thats good.

Edit: changed the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Novena raised 700k with 1000 units over a period of several weeks with a marketing focus on "freedom".

The Pandora raised 1.4 million with 4000 units over a period of 5 days with pretty much nothing but word of mouth. I have no idea what you're trying to prove.

Uhmm ... How many units can Global Components produce and how fast? How will funds be raised for production and how much funds will be available?

It's not like ED will be able to produce hundreds of thousands of Pyra's and will need a tons of marketing to sell them quickly. Seems to me it will be a continuous process of producing, selling, then using profits to produce more. That is, it will probably be more of a resistance race than a quick sprint.

All that's needed is for Pyras to be sold as fast as they are being produced.

Production is no issue. We could produce a couple of thousand per week.

But from CrowdFunding to first batch production, it will be a few months to get the parts.

Even if ED could handle production runs orders of magnitude larger than what the Pandora was manufactured at I think it'd be a big mistake to dive into that. I even think Pandora's runs were too large (but to be fair they were limited by minimum order quantities for parts). If something goes wrong you do not want to have a hundred thousand units that need fixing. If things are ever ramped up further it should only be after the design is proven rock solid.

I think the main focus should be on the 'full computer' aspect of the device.

This is a computer with umpteen GB of reconfigurable storage, USB host ports, a keyboard, a desktop, and all your favourite FOSS.

Alternatively, its a modern, powerful games console, capable of running almost every major game from the last 40 years.

What I would avoid saying is that its a pocket appliance like a telephone, an mp3 player or camera.

Of course - the prototype run will only be about 10 - 50 units. Then we'll start with slow batches. Pandora had batches of 100 per week at GC until everything was stable, after that, we changed to batches of 500.

Production is no issue. We could produce a couple of thousand per week.

But from CrowdFunding to first batch production, it will be a few months to get the parts.
"Just in time" is still not a standard for electronic parts? It should be imho. I have still no clue how companies can even deal with that long lead times. Small parts don't need much storage space so why does it always took months to get these parts? Other industries get their stuff within 24 hours from ordering to delivering or even less. :(

It's just that even when the Pyra is finished by design, there will be such a long time until the first units can be produced. So no money comes in in this time.

Back