The Joystick...

nik166 posted on Dec 12 2005 at 10:31 AM said:
i hate the GP32's pad :eek:

I agree; it was not a very good joystick, it was far too loose and many units had trouble hitting diagonals. Took a long time to get used to, though I must admit once I did it was much better. Pretty easy to mod to.

It seems as though the gp2x joystick is the opposite of the gp32's; very stiff, convex molding, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
triksR4rabits posted on Dec 12 2005 at 09:39 PM said:
I agree; it was not a very good joystick, it was far too loose and many units had trouble hitting diagonals. Took a long time to get used to, though I must admit once I did it was much better. Pretty easy to mod to.

i NEVER got used to the GP32's stick :D
but i can get used almost well with my GP2X's modded one, the deadzone is boring, but once you have a shorter stick with a good grip, it's playable :)

then, gotta get used to the deadzone and the sensitive diagonals, but these were kinda also on GP32 :p

its only a matter of time before someone creates a plastic joystick bit for the thumb. Wait alittle while.

abigsmurf posted on Dec 12 2005 at 08:07 PM said:
you can lower the dead zone by shortening the shaft of the joystick (simple trigonometry). Anyone know if the circle around the stick can be removed without damaging the case. Maybe if there's enough demand we can get octagonal direction guides sorted. I'm sure if I was to go to a plastic molders I could get the guides made around 2quid each if there was more than 25 people to sell them on to.

at the moment the only problem I'm having is the diagonals being too sensative.

You can shorten the shaft to narrow the dead zone but it will cause other problems. For one the stick will be even stiffer than it was because you will have a shorter moment arm. Then you will hit the circle thing around it. It can't be removed because it is molded in and not separate. I suppose you could drill it out but then you will see a big hole which will be ugly.

Adding the octagon thing is not all that good of an idea either. You would wear it out quick by rubbing it all of the time. Then what happens if you want to hit those in-between directions like with a game like missile command or centipede. Using the stick to emulate a mouse like in an ST emu would benefit from those extra directions as well.

Coders could emulate a traditional stick by using the orthagonal bias (see that chart of mine ) which enlarges the target area for the up,down, left, right. The trick is convincing them to try it.

DaveC posted on Dec 12 2005 at 05:36 PM said:
abigsmurf posted on Dec 12 2005 at 08:07 PM said:
you can lower the dead zone by shortening the shaft of the joystick (simple trigonometry). Anyone know if the circle around the stick can be removed without damaging the case. Maybe if there's enough demand we can get octagonal direction guides sorted. I'm sure if I was to go to a plastic molders I could get the guides made around 2quid each if there was more than 25 people to sell them on to.

at the moment the only problem I'm having is the diagonals being too sensative.

You can shorten the shaft to narrow the dead zone but it will cause other problems. For one the stick will be even stiffer than it was because you will have a shorter moment arm. Then you will hit the circle thing around it. It can't be removed because it is molded in and not separate. I suppose you could drill it out but then you will see a big hole which will be ugly.

Adding the octagon thing is not all that good of an idea either. You would wear it out quick by rubbing it all of the time. Then what happens if you want to hit those in-between directions like with a game like missile command or centipede. Using the stick to emulate a mouse like in an ST emu would benefit from those extra directions as well.

Coders could emulate a traditional stick by using the orthagonal bias (see that chart of mine ) which enlarges the target area for the up,down, left, right. The trick is convincing them to try it.

DaveC is so modest, he already shortened his stick the smart people way, I probably would have done it if I had access to a mill like he does.

Here is his thread, you may already have been there :)

I know it may be a little late in the thread to ask, but has anyone actually brought these issues up with GPH, or have we done nothing but complain this whole time?

abigsmurf posted on Dec 12 2005 at 09:19 PM said:
so can anyone confirm that the little plastic circle around joystick can be removed?

no, on the prototypes it was another part, with nother color, but on production models it's a part of the body, gotta destroy it to remove it..

How difficult would it be to actually take apart the joystick, the thing inside the machine, and loosen the springs up? Or replace the thing alltogether with a looser stick?

Loose looser loosest. :)

Jarska333 posted on Dec 21 2005 at 12:07 PM said:
How difficult would it be to actually take apart the joystick, the thing inside the machine, and loosen the springs up? Or replace the thing alltogether with a looser stick?

Loose looser loosest. :)

The joystick is a switch, soldered on the main board I believe .. one could in theory de-solder it and replace it with a different type of switch that matches the original pin arraingment ... maybe :unsure:

So.. Is there any final note about getting a pad on it? My GP2X is still sitting on the shelf.. I haven't touched it since the initial open the package :(:(

Drag posted on Dec 18 2005 at 11:31 PM said:
I know it may be a little late in the thread to ask, but has anyone actually brought these issues up with GPH, or have we done nothing but complain this whole time?

They know about it and they are working on a replacement which will be available for free or cheap. Evil Dragon talked about it on the german forums.

BTW: I built my own stick:

gp2xstick.JPG

SatanClaus posted on Dec 22 2005 at 04:32 AM said:

They know about it and they are working on a replacement which will be available for free or cheap. Evil Dragon talked about it on the german forums.

gp2xstick.JPG

Doesn't that long stick make the dead zone worse?

SatanClaus posted on Dec 21 2005 at 09:32 PM said:

What kind of stick is going to be though? Your replacement looks nice, you're not going to have fun playing emu games, the cornor is to hard to find and you might be hitting up or the side instead of the cornor...

Thats why I want a pad.. I need 8 directions, no more :)

To be honest doesn't look like it will be much harder then the arcade ball rig up for directions, of course the big sticks are just great for play.

/e rigs up an arcade ball controler

SatanClaus posted on Dec 22 2005 at 05:32 AM said:

gp2xstick.JPG

Nothing personal, but if you use this stick for playing games, then you must be mad :p

I know Arcades have even bigger sticks but keep in mind that you have both hands FREE when using them, you aren't holding the arcade machine in both hands ^^

Back