The greatest 8 minutes of SID music ever

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
By watching this video you accept the following terms and conditions:-

1. You have to listen to the whole 8m37s. It's a journey, man.
  2. If you don't know what a SID is, good god, educate yourself first.
  3. You are free, nay, obligated, to better this video with some C64 tunage of your choosing.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WDe0gc4ETTk?feature=oembed

(As the video title suggests, the gameplay shown is Spectrum but the music is C64.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that was an epic journey into SID music, makes me want to get one of those SID-based synthesizers with real6581-chips. I mean, I do have a circuitbent gameboy with a midi interface... but it isn't exactly that awesome phasing sound which the SID could produce.

Anyhow, I'm babbling, I'll be quiet now, this just got my music-geek-adrenaline flowing. =P

Excellent stuff Gruso.

I have an emotional attachment to Warhawk. Not surprising as I designed most of the levels and graphics :D

https://www.youtube.com/embed/UYUb_VI-_9o?feature=oembed

I can remember the three of us clustered around my mates phone as Rob Hubbard played an early version of the Warhawk theme down it and being blown away. Good times indeed :)

I don't know where to start with that first post of yours BaDToaD. Fantastic slice of history there. :D

I find it weird that people would be still interested, especially after all this time, but then I suppose I am interested when it's someone elses game. I can remember being at a computer show and people wanting my autograph. Now that felt really weird :) We were just three lads that wanted to make a decent shooter for the c64. Signing copies in the local computer shop was pretty surreal too LOL

Warhawk took 6 months of evenings and weekends to get to the final product. We used to meet up at one of the houses and design and code all evening. The game was pretty playable after about 3 or 4 months but there was a lot of tweaking of the game play and alien attack patterns until it played just how I wanted it. As the designer I moaned like hell until it was just right (Thanks Mike) Personally I still think it's one of the best c64 shooters out there.

It was (I believe)the first c64 shooter with a pickup. From level 3 (or is it 4 LOL) on there are small ships with see through wing markings. They look like black eyes markings against the space and coloured markings against the level backdrops. If you hit one they drop a small pickup that looks a little like a mine. Be careful as you can shoot them accidentally. If you pick one up you get 30 seconds of double speed and double firepower. They are essential at later stages.

There is also a version out about called Proteus (the working title) which had big end of level motherships instead of the alien swarm. We had to change it to the swarm at short notice as Firebird thought the Mother ship made the game too much like Starforce (the arcade game we based it on)

Anyway, anyone that wants to play Warhawk or the harder to find Proteus has my permission (just thought I'd put that for Prometheus' benefit ;) )

I hope you enjoy that little snippet of Warhawk "History" ;)

ToaD

EDIT: I've found Proteus and the Warhawk final beta (for some reason called Warhawk II by whoever found/leaked it hehe, it too had motherships) so they are available online.

All three versions play great on the Pandora and look lovely on the small screen :D

I find it weird that people would be still interested, especially after all this time
Really? I'm having a nostalgasm just by participating in this thread! :lol:

Well done - if nothing else - on being a part of computing history people are still talking about 25 years later. Would that we should all come so good. :)

Anyway, anyone that wants to play Warhawk or the harder to find Proteus has my permission (just thought I'd put that for Prometheus' benefit ;) )

I hope you enjoy that little snippet of Warhawk "History" ;)

ToaD

EDIT: I've found Proteus and the Warhawk final beta (for some reason called Warhawk II by whoever found/leaked it hehe, it too had motherships) so they are available online.

All three versions play great on the Pandora and look lovely on the small screen :D
What a history lesson! :D And, I must admit, you got a laugh out of me with that mention there. Do you mind if I add this to the Legal Emulation Resources thread?

What a history lesson! :D And, I must admit, you got a laugh out of me with that mention there. Do you mind if I add this to the Legal Emulation Resources thread?

Permission granted :) I know that Mike (Flash) Ware, the main coder of Warhawk will be happy for you to add it. He contacted me in 2009 for input into the DS homebrew version. So dig out those R4 etc cart's

I am credited with some of the graphics but TBH Lobo done most of the work. The main sprite is mine along with a few other little bit and pieces and of course the first ten levels are redesigns of the original c64 version designed all those years ago. It's the game we would have made back in 1986 if the hardware permitted.

Kudos to the guys for doing such an awesome job on it.

It retains an old school feel but gets a real kick up the ar$3 if the graphics and sound department.

It came 3rd in the World’s Top 10 Nintendo DS Homebrew R4 compo 2009 and was the top ranked game.

Warhawk DS homepage

https://www.youtube.com/embed/J9gkLHYbhCU?feature=oembed

Permission granted :) I know that Mike (Flash) Ware, the main coder of Warhawk will be happy for you to add it.
Thanks much! :D

What an awesome contribution to the list. Thankyou. :)

I should post a favourite SID tune, no? :p

I always liked this one from Scooby-Doo & Scrappy-Doo, which is a fairly long original tune, in spite of the game being based on a licensed property.

The one for Ninja Rabbits is quite good also.

No YouTube link for these two, because nobody's put them on YouTube in their entirety, as far as I can tell! :p You'll have to use the Java-based SID player on the above pages.

Nice one Toad.

Speaking personally, I don't think I appreciated these tunes at the time and the huge amount of goodness that emerged from virtually nothing of a chip.

YEAH! Machinae Supremacy ftw!

But this just won't do. I'm the one who spreads MaSu propoganda 'round here!

Nah, you can join me. Machinae Supremacy is awesome. And after hearing that link, I gotta, just GOTTA get View From the End of the World.

Machinae Supremacy deserves to be the most popular metal band. Should they be? Yes. Do I want them to be? No, because when you get to the top, you never stay there and your music/etc ends up sucking. Look at Basshunter...what a loser now...

And more on topic, wow, Gruso, thanks for linking that. It was a journey.

To craig, GO TO HELL (not really, no pandora in hell), real SID > anything. Also thx for linkage ;) . I always love seeing insane feats of coding...

To BaDToaD - proper respekt, I played that. It was _awesome_.

To sbt - I wish I had cool IRL friends :( . Jealous respect ftw!

EDIT: Ordering 'A View From The End of the World" now...

Back