The Five Minute Shoulder Button Fix

Stuckie

Website
www.stuckieworld.net
Heya,

Earlier today, the spanner that I am, managed to knock the Pandora off my work desk.
It survived pretty much intact, save for the Left Shoulder Button, which became pretty unresponsive due to the fact it got wedged in the case. And amusingly, the nubs suddenly became uber responsive and fluid, to the point I've had to turn the sensitivity down a fair whack!
My shoulder buttons weren't completely great to begin with - very much recessed in like my Dingoo's shoulder buttons - and required a conscious effort to push them. They worked, just it was perhaps the one thing I wasn't overly happy with.

So, instead of bugging Open Pandora with a repair request ( specially seeing as they're no doubt inundated with "Where's my Pandora?!" requests and other such things ) I decided I'd fix it myself.. that and I'm the muppet that broke it in the first place.

It's immensely easy to open up. You only need to take the five screws out the bottom ( yes, five.. you DID take the battery out, right? ) and carefully lift up the bottom part of the case. You don't need to go any further, you're at everything you need.

Now, take some paper and cut it into 1cm x 4cm strips and fold them over twice so you've a nice thick bend point.
Locate your shoulder pads and literally just wedge the paper around the plastic ledge in the centre so the paper makes a V shape pointing out.
Line up the shoulder pads with the buttons and screw the case back on just enough to keep things in place and test your shoulder pads.
Mine were noticeably better just with that little extra bit of push on the button itself.
You'll want to then screw in the bottom two screws fully, and the middle top screw fully. Don't over do it, you only need to tighten them, not screw it through the other side!
Carefully screw in the two screws by the shoulder buttons slowly - the reason being you have just added extra height, so your Pandora won't fully go back 100% without locking the buttons, but it's about 98% and everything is reasonably flush enough that for really precise shoulder buttons, I think it's worth it.
Test the shoulder buttons again to make sure they're fine ( if not, unscrew the top row of screws slightly and try again.. you might need to unscrew fully, pop it a bit to re-seat the shoulder pads, and then screw in again slowly. )

Nice and simple, and takes about five mins.
They may stick out slightly and not look as flush as they originally were, but you should just need to essentially touch them to press them!
You probably could get it flush by cutting the paper even more so it's an exact fit with the thickness you desire, but I didn't have such precision tools at hand ( IE: a ruler and a pair of scissors ;) ... I just tore bits of paper off a piece of paper destined for the bin! )

Now excuse me as I barrel roll my way through Corneria again :D

Stuckie, I love your tutorials. I read it and it's clear exactly how to do what you suggest. It's never clear whether someone *should* do what you suggest, but that just makes it more fun :)

Oh that's easy. You should never, under any circumstances, do what I suggest ;)

I just enjoy fiddling with things! and I'm not scared to rip something apart and fix it should I need to - be that software or hardware - and it's always good to document the process in some way, should someone else be interested, you forget, or someone finds a better way of doing things.

Stuckie said:
So, instead of bugging Open Pandora with a repair request ( specially seeing as they're no doubt inundated with "Where's my Pandora?!" requests and other such things ) I decided I'd fix it myself.. that and I'm the muppet that broke it in the first place.

I would be immensely happy if someone had the guts that you have to figure out a fix for the bottom front of the screen to stop it pushing out - not that I would like anyone to ruin their Pandoras trying though!

What about those that have the shoulder buttons which look a bit like they're falling out, anybody got a fix for that?

This is in no way a gripe about OP, in fact quite the opposite, they seem to trivial to send it back for, so I just wondered if there was a way I could do it myself - I know that it is only the really early adopters like myself that have these issues and that we helped with the learning process for getting a good build cycle going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuckie said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWK2Q81oaXU

Here we go, enjoy the bootleg quality of it ;)

Excellent. I can't figure your accent by the way... sorry, my mind tends to wander!

I also appear to be the first person viewing it. Never been the first viewer of a Youtube vid before. Exciting!

I'm Scottish ;)
But yea my phone didn't quite pick up my voice very well, apologies for that.. so it's probably not so understandable.

At least it's proof that opening it ( the back anyway ) is really easy should the shoulder buttons be dodgy, and you're upto fixing it yourself than annoying OpenPandora and being without your precious for a few days!

One of my buttons stick out like that by default because it's one of the first several that was made... I don't like how it does that. I'd rather have them flush :)

Drak said:
One of my buttons stick out like that by default because it's one of the first several that was made... I don't like how it does that. I'd rather have them flush :)

Drak, I took mine apart last night trying to fix my shoulder button - I at least found out what the problem is and you know what will fix it..... a new shoulder button.

I spent a good hour messing around with paper, double sided stiky tape trying various options to see if I could fix it. I made it better but it's still not perfect.

What has happened (in mine anyway) is that the right shoulder button has been bored out by OP to make it fit better. Unfortunately it has been bored off centre slightly which allows it to drop on one side, so when it's put back together it sticks out more on one side looking like it's falling out.

If we were to receive a new shoulder button it would be an easy fix. You could start with the stock shoulder button, and using a circular file or something similar keep widening the hole till it's a perfect fit. I took some pictures last night, hopefully in one of them you can see the where the hole is drilled off centre. Take a ganders at a pic gallery I have - the ones you want to see are near the end

Pandora Pics

OP will you send us out a new shoulder button if we ask nicely? It's so easy to unscrew it's not worth sending back - plus I don't want no evils off those people that haven't even got their pandora yet :)

@OPT
Looks like the speed of rotation was either to high or the drill was not sharp enough(you find tables for drill diameter/speed/material online). You can make a simple fence by cramping a square to the drilling table. Drilling a hole is something my 14 year old son would accomplish. Argh...sorry, I'll go elsewhere for venting.

Go to your local metal worker and ASK. Don't reinvent the wheel, people have been drilling holes in things for ages, successfully!

mali said:
@OPT
Looks like the speed of rotation was either to high or the drill was not sharp enough(you find tables for drill diameter/speed/material online). You can make a simple fence by cramping a square to the drilling table. Drilling a hole is something my 14 year old son would accomplish. Argh...sorry, I'll go elsewhere for venting.

Go to your local metal worker and ASK. Don't reinvent the wheel, people have been drilling holes in things for ages, successfully!

Mali are you talking to me or Craig et al - I'm confused. I just want a non-saggy shoulder button :(

^ Sorry, I didn't want to confuse you. OPT=Open Pandora Team

edit:
You should definitely send them a mail and ask for unpainted shoulder buttons, imo.

sparkymark, if you open up the case again, could you please make a close-up photo of the LCD connector? That would be really helpful :)

sparkymark said:
Drak said:

Drak, I took mine apart last night trying to fix my shoulder button - I at least found out what the problem is and you know what will fix it..... a new shoulder button.

I spent a good hour messing around with paper, double sided stiky tape trying various options to see if I could fix it. I made it better but it's still not perfect.

What has happened (in mine anyway) is that the right shoulder button has been bored out by OP to make it fit better. Unfortunately it has been bored off centre slightly which allows it to drop on one side, so when it's put back together it sticks out more on one side looking like it's falling out.

If we were to receive a new shoulder button it would be an easy fix. You could start with the stock shoulder button, and using a circular file or something similar keep widening the hole till it's a perfect fit. I took some pictures last night, hopefully in one of them you can see the where the hole is drilled off centre. Take a ganders at a pic gallery I have - the ones you want to see are near the end

Pandora Pics

OP will you send us out a new shoulder button if we ask nicely? It's so easy to unscrew it's not worth sending back - plus I don't want no evils off those people that haven't even got their pandora yet :)
Thanks man. I looked at your pics and mine has the exact problem as yours does, haha. In another thread OP said they would send out replacement shoulder buttons. :D

I hear a lot of complaints about the shoulder buttons on newly arriving Pandora's, and a few complaints about the nubs... but I dont think Ive heard much feedback on then when they are fitted and working AS EXPECTED lol...

My only worry is (for a lack of a better way to discribe it) you cannot polish a turd, I expect the Pandora to be great but it would be nice to know if the buttons will end up equally great after (possibly) some messing around.

Help anyone? :>

Back