The Evolution of Video Game Controllers Poster, pandora is in!

would make for decent wallpaper :)

Last edited:
Hmm, why does the DSiXL link to the Wii classic controller, but the DSi does not? And the SG-1000s link to the Magnavox Oddyssey (sp?) but not the Master System?

But of course, the most offensive inaccuracy is to link the Pandora with the game.com. Why, I oughtta!

Oughta what? There is a certain logic in that path: the Game.com was effectively a gaming PDA with a touchscreen. The Pandora is a gaming computer/PDA with a touchscreen and a keyboard. There does seem to be something missing, some convergent evolution, but I can't think of what else would go there without necessarily cluttering up the diagram more than it already is.

I know....it's not representative of ALL the entire consoles that have been built, and it must be hard to label or see a chain where one came from.  I saw more than a few orphaned "consoles" on that poster that have no beginning and were just a novelty I guess.  The Open Pandora has a LOT of the systems beat.  These mega-million$$$ companies didn't have ONLINE vocal fans like us that support their product with a most vociferous voice.  We stick up for our console of choice and it's this very console that allows us to run as many of those consoles as possible.  We can keep those old systems alive.  In our hearts and minds and in our Pandoras.

Horse shit!  I'm just a DS clone... So many things about that representation of the history of hardware are BS.  Blah blah blah, hate.

I hear you, liveunderwater.  I'm not saying that it's accurate.....in a weird way, I'm just happy that the OpenPandora was in there.  That was enough for me.  I even saw some interesting consoles that I didn't know about.

The Atari 2600/800 track ball is missing from that poster.

And both the 2600 spinner and 2600 joystick (or possibly it was called a games paddle back then, I forget) are both labelled simply 'Atari 2600', while the Duke and Controller S are labelled 'xbox' and 'xbox controller s'. Still, it's nice that someone went to this effort, and extra-nice they included the Pandora (even if I reserve the right to quibble that they haven't got its derivation quite right).

surprised they didn't make a connection between all the gun controllers and the wiimote 

Back