The Curse Of Monkey Island

Miika

Only Amiga makes it possible
Website
Visit site
Hey, I posted this on the ScummVM forums too, but I think more people will answer here.
OK, here's the story.
The compatibility list says this game is WAY too slow to be playable. However I went ahead and tried this with the official build, and the SVN build.
First I tried the game on the SVN build. Looks good, but yes it is very choppy (I tried @ 240MHz, this sucker can't do better than that <_< ). Then I quitted, and tried with the official release. To my surprise, it played with quite recent speed, the movies weren't lagging, and the gameplay wasn't too bad. But, the image isn't downscaled, and is therefore basically unplayable. But it ran at recent speed after all.
EDIT: I had a very old official build, the current one is downscaled and runs the game quite well, Check it out!

My question is, is there anything you can do about this? Make it faster? I know the GP2X can handle this game!
Thanks for the port and all.

I played this game on my 60MHz Pentium Pro :p

well... the problem is that the gp2x is not an x86 machine but an arm system. you cannot compare the speeds of a 60mhz pc with a 200mhz arm at all. Also, I imagine that downscaling requires a bit of cpu power aswell. It might be playable in the future but I don't really expect it to be. Depends on what scaling algorithm is applied. I am surprised though that there seems to be such a huge difference in speed.

I finally finished this game in Hospital last week!

Great game, daddy!

If its the scaling that slows it down i can try to cheer you up. I suppose it uses a own scaling routine which could be replaced by a hardware scaler routine.

It would trade speed for a bit more battery consumption but would be a fair deal that way. Hope someone accepts that work and exchanges that routine.

AFAIK it uses the HW scaler for downscaling. The slow downs are in strange places (like the inventory) Also the game is perfectly playable with regards to scaling since you can toggle the unscaled "zoomed" mode. (I think it is L + Y)

DJWillis is the one with all the knowledge regarding this though...

PokeParadox said:
AFAIK it uses the HW scaler for downscaling. The slow downs are in strange places (like the inventory) Also the game is perfectly playable with regards to scaling since you can toggle the unscaled "zoomed" mode. (I think it is L + Y)

DJWillis is the one with all the knowledge regarding this though...
Thanks for the tip, but it is still very slow with the unscaled scrolling mode...
They could implement scrolling on the official build, maybe that would be faster?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah sorry I didn't mean to imply that the zoomed mode was faster, only that it displays the graphics without distortion. Yes there are many areas where the cursor slows down but if that doesn't bother you too much the game is still playable.

A bit Off-Topic, but how can you guys play ScummVM games on a GP2X ?
Don't get me wrong. I love those games and still play them. And it's great that they are running on a GP2x(technically speaking).But without a Mouse this is a tiring thing. I checked ZacMacCracken and to get out of the first room took about a few Minutes. Sam and Max isn't even solvable on a GP2X due to the Inputs(or am I wrong?) !

ScummVM is in my opinion nice to show your friends how cool the GP2X is, but for true gaming .....( unless your are inhuman patient)

Regards
paines

Anes Lihovac said:
A bit Off-Topic, but how can you guys play ScummVM games on a GP2X ?
Don't get me wrong. I love those games and still play them. And it's great that they are running on a GP2x(technically speaking).But without a Mouse this is a tiring thing. I checked ZacMacCracken and to get out of the first room took about a few Minutes. Sam and Max isn't even solvable on a GP2X due to the Inputs(or am I wrong?) !

ScummVM is in my opinion nice to show your friends how cool the GP2X is, but for true gaming .....( unless your are inhuman patient)
Regards
paines

Yes you can complete Sam & Max on GP2X. And if you are so pissed you can use USB mouse.
To the last part, WHAT an insult! Monkey Island ++ are TRUE gaming at it's best!!

What really upsets me over gp2x is that broken sword is apprently abit slow, and the cutscenes wont work. I really want broken sword on the move...i wish theyd update scumm....february release was nearly 3 months ago now!

martymcfly said:
What really upsets me over gp2x is that broken sword is apprently abit slow, and the cutscenes wont work. I really want broken sword on the move...i wish theyd update scumm....february release was nearly 3 months ago now!
It upsets you, eh? Damn those lazy developers! :angry:

hold your horses telcolou! calm down... i know you would like to flame the heck outta him but is it really worth it? I know it's frustrating, let's just go to the pub and have a beer...

Erm...what? so i can't be upset that my gp2x doesnt run my fav game? Ah thanks for clearing that up.

You can be upset all you want.

Your comment "february release was nearly 3 months ago now!" smacks of impatience and ungratefulness.

Erm actually no it doesnt. It shows how eager i am for an update. All it shows is that you can't wait to jump down my throat. I'm very sorry that iv been waiting three months for an update and want to play my favourite game and am eager to get a new release. I actually talk to the guy who does the coding, and he has spoken to me about his progress with broken sword 1 and 2 via another message board. What you read as "smacking of impatience and ungratefullness" i see as eagerness to see an engine that already plays several games i love play the two i love the most. 3 months IS a long time to wait day in and out, but i never complained, just said i was upset when i got the gp2x, and can't play it. The official site has a review by craig that actually states it does play them...so i was expectant, and UPSET when i found that it doesnt really. I'm sorry that you read this as me saying the programmers are lazy and that i don't appreciate their work. Anyways, it seems that i have to explain myself when all i was doing was stating i wish it would play these games(as i am sure it will in the future). I now know you are the lord of the forum, feel free to tell me what else i can't say so i'll be sure not to step on your toes in future. Cheers.

martymcfly said:
Erm actually no it doesnt. It shows how eager i am for an update.
The other option is that you amend the code yourself, or pay someone to do it for you?

Listen, i never said i wouldn't wait. I said i was upset when i found broken sword wouldn't work...so what?! I have spoken to the guy doing the port on this very forum, and he has high hopes for broken sword. Yes i am eager for an update...but i never said i wouldn't wait, and i certainly didn't make out that the developers are "lazy". And if i could amend the code myself...i would.

Accepted, although its abit late now, every1 seems to think im the antichrist lol.

Back