The current situation

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Hello everyone,

Sorry for this late post, I've promised to give the iCP2 KS 110% so the following events took place at exactly the wrong time.

Anyhow, to summarise the situation (this is relating to OP UK):

A couple of months ago Ed agreed that we should move to 1Ghz production and most of my outstanding preorders could all be 1ghz boards, this lead to a simple and perfect equation, 1 for 1. Ie sell one 1Ghz unit and we can ship 1 old preorder and 1 new 1Ghz unit.

This was actually working really well, we managed to clear some debts and ship about 100 units quickly, but then we had some large preorders cancelled unexpectedly. The people who cancelled these were not being nasty or awkward, they just needed the money back and I can understand this in the current climate. It amounted to ~100 units.

They had to be refunded, and it had to happen at just the wrong time.

Fortunately we are able to claim back quite a lot of tax on those refunds, about $15,000-$20k.

That will recover the situation somewhat, but we have to be very careful, it's unfortunate this has happened when we're so close to clearing the preorders, but nothing is ever easy is it?

The tax refund won't be with us until next month. Until that time orders will continue to ship but slowly as we very very carefully recover, we have a lot of 600Mhz units to sell, which I'll put up at the 'classic' price to keep things going, paying the bills etc.

At the same time Eds sales have been slower than expected, so no free units are currently available.

I hope you can help us though this, we are frustratingly close to clearing the old original orders (we need to sell about 400 more units to do it).

Don't worry - there is a plan to solve all this which I and Ed are nailing out, I'd wanted to wait until it was a clear and detailed plan but a lot of you are wanting information now, and while the above might be worrying, please don't go off on crazy tangents until the solution is detailed.

We're pretty good at solving these things now, we are fixing it.

Thanks,

Craig

Very interesting but are you actually going to get ANY of the 1GHz units this week that Ed has ready now in Germany?
+1

We were originally told that the 1Ghz price would cover the unit, plus one refund or shipped unit.

Very interesting but are you actually going to get ANY of the 1GHz units this week that Ed has ready now in Germany?

Maybe the money was used for the ICP2 preparation ? :) (j/k i hope)

Seriously, I thought the people who ordered the 1Ghz were going to be getting a special edition -> people paid extra to get their units ASAP when they were manufactured. Now their money is gone because it went to refunds instead?

If that is what you are saying, this is extremely unfair for all of those who pre-ordered the 1Ghz - now they are the back on the wall with no other option but to wait for an undefined target date, while everyone else can order 1Ghz units in ED's shop. Their money should not have been allocated to refunds, period. The promise made to them was broken, again.

An excellent kickoff .. keep posting these, every couple of weeks, and people will be standing behind you again and being more supportive.

Thanks Craig! Good luck with carrying the burden, and with carrying the KS!

jeff

Thanks for the update.. Getting those original batches finished is going to bring peace to the force forums.

I'm going to assume it might be worth getting a final tally... emailing everybody with a new order number and estimated time - I know lots of people think they're still #2134

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Craig.

It's clear now.

Understand that situation but actually 1GHz unit is still delay right?

So in fact do I have to wait til next month for my 1GHz unit like that depending on your resolving time?

We were originally told that the 1Ghz price would cover the unit, plus one refund or shipped unit.

No wayyyyyy. A shipped unit is their original fee plus the difference.. A refund is the entire original fee minus the different.

They need to make up the refund from their "business security blanket account"...

I read it twice and im not sure if I missed the bit that said "All 1ghz pre-orders, since theyve paid, will be shipped asap". As I see it, the money is there for the unit itself, the problem seems to be what to do with the profit from those units.

Cos hell, im not waiting another month and some for my 1ghz unit, so have I mis-understood the situation?

No wayyyyyy. A shipped unit is their original fee + the difference.. A refund is the entire original fee.

I thought a refund is less costly than a shipped unit, since it costs more than the original price to produce a unit at GC. To rephrase your post, a shipped unit is the entire original fee plus the difference.

Yes, but please wait for us to work it out, we have to be very careful and cautious.

At least tell us that you have gotten Ed to ringfence a good percentage of the units he has so he doesn't end up selling them all before you can get this plan sorted out. Seriously, if the next batch is mid october, + shipping to UK, plus shipping on... the whole point of the 150 1ghz test run was that those who were in it "would get their unit, very very very quickly compared to any pandora before it".

The fact that people right now can jump onto Ed's shop, buy one and get it within a week is a slap in the face mate. Thats all were annoyed about.

Ive been a Panda user for a month now, i love it, hopefully people that havent received theirs yet, can bear it to wait a little longer.

Also, good luck on the kickstarter, it looks like its going wel.

At this rate we can start the Panda2 discussions soon :)

I retire my words, what a nice and informative post, that's a first one... who are you and what have you done to CraigiX?

I retire my words, what a nice and informative post, that's a first one... who are you and what have you done to CraigiX?

I think all the 50pence fish has gone to his head....

The human mind can only handle eating cheap fish for a limited amount of time.

Craig,

I've tended be to amongst the frustrated and vocal posters when news has been scarce; so it's only fair that I chip in and say that it's very refreshing to read such an honest assessment of the current situation from yourself.

People can deal with bad news and delays, God knows we have seen them all over the last few years. All the best in getting over this temporary blip.

Back