The best web browser?

Firefox seems to be the only one that can load more than one page at once without slowing down to a crawl or stopping altogether. This includes refreshing a page for updates whilst loading a new tab.
?

I use Chrome on my desktop, and I usually have at least 20+ tabs open simultaneously, including 5 or 6 with the auto-refresh extension, and manually reloading some of them. Everything runs at full speed.

Woops , anyways from what pandora owners say it seems that firefox is better than chrome
Chromium was absolutely fine on the Pandora when I first started using it, but the last few days it has started misbehaving more and more: opening new tabs when it should be completing the action in the same one (sometimes opening two at the same time) and closing tabs when I click on them. Not the dev version by the way.

I want to try out Firefox in the next few days, when I have time, to try and get flash working anyway.

Firefox seems to be the only one that can load more than one page at once without slowing down to a crawl or stopping altogether. This includes refreshing a page for updates whilst loading a new tab.
?

I use Chrome on my desktop, and I usually have at least 20+ tabs open simultaneously, including 5 or 6 with the auto-refresh extension, and manually reloading some of them. Everything runs at full speed.
I use iGoogle as my home page and the RSS reader widget, so the fist thing I do when going on a computer is run through the list of RSS updates and open up all the ones that I want to read in different tabs. Firefox is the fastest at opening all these pages by far and is still the most usable whilst doing it.

I've tried Chromium on Ubuntu and WinXP/Win7 and found that it freezes a lot more than Firefox. It's not too bad, just not as good IMO. Internet explorer 8 is the worst by far though. That piece of crap can freeze for 30 seconds or more for each page.

Well, OK, I just started using firefox 4.0 beta 7 and it's real slow to start. But then - I like it. Feels like at home. I vote firefox - better than chromium, midori and adora (or what was its name).

Last edited by a moderator:
Do Chromium-Dev or Firefox 4.0 crash a lot?
Chromium Dev = Crashes all over.

Firefox 4.0 Beta = Perfectly stable. ;D
midori is crashing 5 times more often than chromium-dev. I don't understand the "remember password" dialog box in firefox - the "OK" button is missing ;)

maybe we could try Dillo too. I need to get debian up and running first then I can try compiling stuff for pandora. In angstrom I feel like without one hand. BTW typing from pandora now in firefox, and I noticed that firefox sometimes has a 2 second lag on what I'm typing, a bit annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my desktop, I used Midori for a long time before eventually getting fed up with it and switching to Chromium. Given that experience, I imagine it won't be too good on the Pandora. Defaults of Chromium or Firefox are fine for me (though I'll probably install Chromium, just to keep UIs consistent across my computers).

I'll be using firefox when my Pandora finally arrives;

- 4.0 beta 9 is out and is looking really good - RC will be out next month. Performance in the latest beta is much better than 3.6.13

- the add-ins are invalueable

- flash is now working via the nokia plugin

I forgot to say that on the Pandora I found Arora not very pleasant and Midori even worse. They couldn't even render these boards or the appstore correctly, not the best choice for bundled browsers IMO. Either Chromium or Firefox would be a massive improvement.

I forgot to say that on the Pandora I found Arora not very pleasant and Midori even worse. They couldn't even render these boards or the appstore correctly, not the best choice for bundled browsers IMO. Either Chromium or Firefox would be a massive improvement.

Don't have a pandora yet, but this was my conclusion when trying these browsers out on the beagleboard.

Maybe instead of having a default browser on the Pandora it should just have a window when it starts up asking which browser you want to use. You pick your option and then it would ask if you want to remove all other Internet browsers. There, solved, now everyone is happy.

Isn't this why FireFox is beating out IE on Windows7 in Europe?

Maybe instead of having a default browser on the Pandora it should just have a window when it starts up asking which browser you want to use. You pick your option and then it would ask if you want to remove all other Internet browsers. There, solved, now everyone is happy.

Isn't this why FireFox is beating out IE on Windows7 in Europe?

That's actually a really good idea.

Ah Yes! The best part of this discussion is the fact that I don't have to choose one...

It's OPEN ! I vow to use them all !

I use IE6 only when I have to on the desktop, but Firefox and chrome get equal use...

Midori usually is fine - it's just that the Midori in the old OpenEmbedded version we currently use is crashy and buggy.

Should change when we update to a more recent OpenEmbedded version, DJWillis is working on that, but he's got little time and there's much work to do.

FireFox and Chromium both eat 30 - 50MB on the NAND, no idea where we should get that space from... we'd probably have to sacrifice stuff like python or some needed libraries...

I'd say we try to upgrade to the next OpenEmbedded version and include a stable Midori that starts up within seconds as it is only a couple of MB big.

FireFox and Chromium can easily be used as PND.

Back