The best web browser?

Midori usually is fine - it's just that the Midori in the old OpenEmbedded version we currently use is crashy and buggy.
Should change when we update to a more recent OpenEmbedded version, DJWillis is working on that, but he's got little time and there's much work to do.

FireFox and Chromium both eat 30 - 50MB on the NAND, no idea where we should get that space from... we'd probably have to sacrifice stuff like python or some needed libraries...

I'd say we try to upgrade to the next OpenEmbedded version and include a stable Midori that starts up within seconds as it is only a couple of MB big.

FireFox and Chromium can easily be used as PND.
I see your point, have Midori there just to get started, like IE in Windows, then download a more powerful browser as a PND to run off of a SD card. If other options take up too much space lets not have them on the Nand.

I see your point, have Midori there just to get started, like IE in Windows, then download a more powerful browser as a PND to run off of a SD card. If other options take up too much space lets not have them on the Nand.

Basically yes - except for that IE is even more bloated than FireFox or Chromium and Midori is REALLY small :D :D

Sounds like the way to go. It only takes a minute to install your browser of choice anyway - or at least it will when Midori works ok :p

Basically yes - except for that IE is even more bloated than FireFox or Chromium and Midori is REALLY small :D :D
Ahh, good point. ;)

Midori would be quite nice if it weren't buggy. I look forward to the hotfix that includes the updated version.

Midori would be quite nice if it weren't buggy. I look forward to the hotfix that includes the updated version.
Once again. Midori itself is not buggy. It works quite stable for me (i use Gentoo). The package from the Angstrom repo is buggy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the need for a small browser to fit in the NAND, but it would help if that had some explanation in it's default home page, and if there was a way of overriding the default with a preferred version from SD if present.

FireFox and Chromium both eat 30 - 50MB on the NAND, no idea where we should get that space from... we'd probably have to sacrifice stuff like python or some needed libraries...
NOOOOOOOO

That's enough to convince me. As long as Midori and libwebkit get updated to less buggy versions, they'll do. From my desktop experience, I don't much enjoy Midori, but it does get the job done.

NOOOOOOOO

That's enough to convince me. As long as Midori and libwebkit get updated to less buggy versions, they'll do. From my desktop experience, I don't much enjoy Midori, but it does get the job done.
Given the size issue now at hand here, I would like to note that I agree with this. It's no good sacrificing libraries and such for the sake of a built-in browser (which, as others have I think correctly argued, only really needs to be "good enough", whilst the other options remain in PND form).

A decent lightweight browser is needed. I quite like the look of Midori but as everyone knows, it crashes all the time. An updated version thats stable would be perfectly fine imo.

As for 'third party' browsers, an upto date version of Firefox 4 (beta 10 currently) would be nice. They've made some good improvements since Beta 7. As for Chromium, the 'blue' version looks and works well but doesnt support HTTPS and Chromium Dev (Black) has lots of unwanted Chromium OS features. Get HTTPS working etc and it'll be perfect imo.

Are we sure HTTPS doesn't work? I'm using it right now logged in to my gmail account on my pandora.

Are we sure HTTPS doesn't work? I'm using it right now logged in to my gmail account on my pandora.

It works, fixed that months ago. :)

Ah, cool. I grabbed the version from your archive and it worked fine. You may wanna update Craig's App Store because it has the old version without working HTTPS!

It works really well now, shame extensions dont work :(

Late to the party but I see in all these pages that Fennec well and truly got the finger :)

I thought Arora was on the system as it opens a wide variety of file types and is linked to the documentation of apps. Wont that need replacing?

Best browsers are FF4 and Chromium both with kinetic scrolling plug-ins(though Chromium corrupts and gets weird over time) but as is said, whats the point of firmware at any expense if its available as PND.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back