The best web browser?

I've stopped using any browser on my Pandora. I find them all too slow (or crashy) I see no advantage to using the Pandora over using my HTC Desire which a instant web browser plus full flash support.

I would be more tempted if Midori worked without crashing, because that loaded quick enough imo.

I never thought any of the browsers as overly sluggish.. It was one thing I was fairly impressed with is how fast the browsers actually do pop up on load. So I usually use the new Firefox 4 beta or the chromium-dev version that has the fixed ssl support. both seem fairly stable.

Now that I've got my Pandora I go between Choromium Dev for https sites, and Chromuim when I need to download something. It's annoying having to exchange between them, but they're so much better than the alternatives. Firefox takes an ice age to start up, and you can't leave it running because of the amount RAM it uses. Fennec isn't much better, I don't see the need for this browser personally.

Midori is arse. I understand the whole 'it's good enough for going to get the actual browser you want' arguement, but it doesn't even render the official Pandora appstore properly. I know most of us can appreciate the backroom coding aspect of the Pandora, but when the official web-browser can't render the official site repository, well it just looks unproffessional. And it crashes LOADS. Arora is a much better alternative.

Now that I've got my Pandora I go between Choromium Dev for https sites, and Chromuim when I need to download something. It's annoying having to exchange between them, but they're so much better than the alternatives. Firefox takes an ice age to start up, and you can't leave it running because of the amount RAM it uses. Fennec isn't much better, I don't see the need for this browser personally.

Midori is arse. I understand the whole 'it's good enough for going to get the actual browser you want' arguement, but it doesn't even render the official Pandora appstore properly. I know most of us can appreciate the backroom coding aspect of the Pandora, but when the official web-browser can't render the official site repository, well it just looks unproffessional. And it crashes LOADS. Arora is a much better alternative.

The fact that midori doesn't render websites properly is not because of a bug in midori. It seems very webkit<->GTK specific.

Furthermore, this bug has been fixed for ages and just needs to find its way into the Pandora firmware. I think that's DJWillis's job, but he (like most core devs) are really busy. Give it time and it will be fixed. This is not even a maybe.

I never thought any of the browsers as overly sluggish.. It was one thing I was fairly impressed with is how fast the browsers actually do pop up on load. So I usually use the new Firefox 4 beta or the chromium-dev version that has the fixed ssl support. both seem fairly stable.

Switch your router to Channel 5. I did this, and it fixed a lot of problems with wifi on my pandora. Better and more reliable connection with faster speeds!

Once again - Midori itself is awesome. It's very fast, it provides enough features (at least for me), it renders properly every site I've tried so far and it has never crashed yet.

I just tried the official appstore - rendering is fine (I haven't noticed any difference between midori and my desktop FF-3.6), downloading is also fine (I successfully downloaded UQM and xrick). So please don't blame the browser, it's fine. The problem is in default PND for midori (and/or its dependencies). Blame the pandora firmware devs, not midori devs.

PS. I use midori-0.3.0 + webkit-gtk-1.2.6

Hahahahahahahahaha.... bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!! that piece cracks me up. Ad blocking is bad m'kay.

I use no script because I hate going to sites and finding those floating flash ads all over the page i'm trying to view and slowing even a beast of a PC to a crawl, it's even worse on my work PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will compile Lynx and PND package it when I get the chance. Not exactly too flashy, but low on memory footprint and thus a lot smoother to use.

I will compile Lynx and PND package it when I get the chance. Not exactly too flashy, but low on memory footprint and thus a lot smoother to use.

You would be my hero!
Yeah. I miss the days where I had plenty of time at my hands... now I'm more or less grown up and I even lack the time to do trivial things like compiling...

^ it's code for the gnu streams editor "sed."

The equivalent in English, on a GUI interface, would be "Edit -> Search and Replace -> search for: ' pandora' / replace with: 'default firmware' -> Find Next -> Replace".

s/pandora/default firmware/

what does that meant to mean? :p

Funnily enough I first encountered this sequence in online conversation, immediately understood it and even started using it myself. It was only recently that I played around with vim for a while and realised where it originated. That probably says something about me but I'm not sure what. :D

Fennec isn't much better, I don't see the need for this browser personally.

I like Fennec because it by default lets me scroll by touching the screen, similar to on my iPod Touch, and scrolling is a lot smoother than in Firefox. I don't use Fennec a lot because, like all the browsers aside from Chromium and Firefox, I can't get downloading to work properly.

Huh, I missed this.

I'm still using Midori mostly. I like it and don't really see why others hate it so much. I try the Firefox and Chromium builds whenever they come out, but I also go back to the built in Midori because of how quick and tiny it is. I'll probably give lightweight a try as well sometime in the near future.

Back