The average consumer

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdswithskirts

Still Fresh
It seems to me the problem with this forum lately is that everyone is so concerned with winning a prize or developing that the average user is lost in the shuffle. I value the developers and contributors, but let's not forget that without the consumer who does not buy a Pandora to develop games, make donations or try to seem intelligent, there would be fewer to develop for.

I notice that emulators and apps are becoming being easier to use and this is very much appreciated. But when someone has a question, no matter how elementary, it should not be circumvented or ignored.

The Pandora is a great machine but it still does not have the pick up and play quality that so many gamers look for. If one is willing to delve into this machine, spend 500 something to open up a new dimension in one's gaming experience, then that consumer should be treated with courtesy and not over looked because he/she is not up to snuff with the inner working of Linux or the Pandora.

I would think in order for the Pandora to really be mainstream popular it needs to recognize and welcome those who are newbies with little to none experience with Linux/Pandora/emulator machines. Address the questions that you might think are beneath you. Perhaps have a special 'rookie' section for those with minimal experience and have a moderator with basic knowledge. Maybe a Pandora for Dummies publication. Unless of course the owners prefer things the way the are now. If that is the case then so be it.

No malice intended here.

With a competition in progress, there is naturally going to be a lot of extra excitement around coding and prizes. :) Granted, it's a very developer-centric forum the rest of the time too. I often think there must be a lot of regular users out there who check the forums for info but don't post. (Hi lurkers!)

Do you have examples of where user issues have been overlooked? I thought the forum had a pretty good track record of answering questions big and small.

It is also worth noting that the Pandora is essentially a continuous beta. The device itself is pretty much unique and built by a very small team on a small budget. While it is important to help and respect the newbs , they need to understand that when you order a Pandora, you get a device which is neither polished nor sealed. The Pandora 1 isn't a device for the average consumer; The P2/P3 might be.

With a competition in progress, there is naturally going to be a lot of extra excitement around coding and prizes. :) Granted, it's a very developer-centric forum the rest of the time too. I often think there must be a lot of regular users out there who check the forums for info but don't post. (Hi lurkers!)

Do you have examples of where user issues have been overlooked? I thought the forum had a pretty good track record of answering questions big and small.
Though it was not in the support category I had a brief question about the new dos box emulator.

It is also worth noting that the Pandora is essentially a continuous beta. The device itself is pretty much unique and built by a very small team on a small budget. While it is important to help and respect the newbs , they need to understand that when you order a Pandora, you get a device which is neither polished nor sealed. The Pandora 1 isn't a device for the average consumer; The P2/P3 might be.
Well then it won't be a widespread used device unfortunately.

Does esoteric sell?

Last edited by a moderator:
Every few weeks someone comes in and says this about the Pandora.

I entirely agree with you - it's unnecessarily hard to use.

Believe me I fought long and hard for it not to be like this.

Fortunately Android has come along and is (more or less) what I think an interface should be like.

Any future handheld from me will run Android.

I'm sorry about the Pandora situation, it's out of my control. There are people who enjoy lintarding things for no good reason.

Though it was not in the support category I had a brief question about the new dos box emulator.

Well then it won't be a widespread used device unfortunately.

Does esoteric sell?

I'm pretty sure Pandora was built to fill the niche the mainstream missed in the first place.

Android could be good on the Pandora, but this is a gaming palmtop (not an iLookalike), so it would need a lot of tweaking to work nicely.

Regarding the thread in question, that version of DOSBox is definitely not consumer friendly. I've tried to address your question in the thread.

Unfortunately DOSBox will never be as easy as simply filling a folder with ROMs like your average emu. Some knowledge of the DOS command line is necessary - even on Android. If you're starting from scratch, a new thread in the support forum is the best route.

Do you mean this question? Where you wrote five words, then waited just four hours before writing this post about being ignored? This is a community of real people, you have to have a little patience.

And you can dismiss me as a "lintard" if you want, but it's the reason I ordered one. I have an Android phone, and it's fine, but I can't use it the way I use a real computer. Unfortunately, that also means we don't have the resources of Google available to polish the user interfaces overnight. But birdwithskirts, if you have specific concerns, make them known; we all want it to be more usable. Just make sure you're patient with the people who will do it.

(please don't let this thread explode...)

Do you mean this question? Where you wrote five words, then waited just four hours before writing this post about being ignored? This is a community of real people, you have to have a little patience.

And you can dismiss me as a "lintard" if you want, but it's the reason I ordered one. I have an Android phone, and it's fine, but I can't use it the way I use a real computer. Unfortunately, that also means we don't have the resources of Google available to polish the user interfaces overnight. But birdwithskirts, if you have specific concerns, make them known; we all want it to be more usable. Just make sure you're patient with the people who will do it.

I was kindly helped by Gruso so I don't understand what you are wetting your knickers about?

The 'resources of google' would never have been required if some people had just approached things with some common sense back at the start of Pandora software development - I tried - begged - people to follow my vision of it being super easy to use, but I was ignored/voted down etc. etc.

The wheel goes round but nothing changes, it's the whole reason why Linux CDs etc never caught on - people don't want to have to struggle to use their computer.

The number of times I've tried crap like Ubuntu after promises of 'it's different this time!' and found myself at that fu'ing console yet again trying to make things 'just work'.

Linux as a desktop is never going to catch on because... to the average computer user it's shit. So you would think people would stop trying to keep it like that.

It took Google/Apple to drag things in to the 21st century, and look how popular they are now.

It seems to me the problem with this forum lately is that everyone is so concerned with winning a prize or developing that the average user is lost in the shuffle.
The developers for the Pandora software are hobbyists who spend their spare time to provide you software. Regarding the competition, there is a thread about which software you want to see on the Pandora. Perhaps you should mention what kind of software (or changes to specific software) you want to see to improve usability for the average user.

It sounds like you have specific issues, but we cannot read your mind.

let's not forget that without the consumer who does not buy a Pandora to develop games, make donations or try to seem intelligent, there would be fewer to develop for.
Again, the Pandora has no paid developers. Developers primarily build the software which they want and enjoy themselves, but many will also respond to port or feature request. It is a slow process because nobody works on it full-time.

I notice that emulators and apps are becoming being easier to use and this is very much appreciated. But when someone has a question, no matter how elementary, it should not be circumvented or ignored.
It is not ignored, but there is no support staff and ED is working his ass off to get production sorted out. There is a small community spread out over a large range of timezones, so sometimes a response takes a couple of days.

Address the questions that you might think are beneath you.
I never had the impression here that simple question were left unanswered. In my perception this community has always been helpful and supportive.

Perhaps have a special 'rookie' section for those with minimal experience and have a moderator with basic knowledge.
That is what the support section is for. Post your questions there and patiently await an answer.

It seems to me the problem with this forum lately is that everyone is so concerned with winning a prize or developing that the average user is lost in the shuffle.
The developers for the Pandora software are hobbyists who spend their spare time to provide you software. Regarding the competition, there is a thread about which software you want to see on the Pandora. Perhaps you should mention what kind of software (or changes to specific software) you want to see to improve usability for the average user.

It sounds like you have specific issues, but we cannot read your mind.

let's not forget that without the consumer who does not buy a Pandora to develop games, make donations or try to seem intelligent, there would be fewer to develop for.
Again, the Pandora has no paid developers. Developers primarily build the software which they want and enjoy themselves, but many will also respond to port or feature request. It is a slow process because nobody works on it full-time.

It is not ignored, but there is no support staff and ED is working his ass off to get production sorted out. There is a small community spread out over a large range of timezones, so sometimes a response takes a couple of days.

Address the questions that you might think are beneath you.
I never had the impression here that simple question were left unanswered. In my perception this community has always been helpful and supportive.

Perhaps have a special 'rookie' section for those with minimal experience and have a moderator with basic knowledge.
That is what the support section is for. Post your questions there and patiently await an answer.
Why do I feel like this is a lecture?

Why do I feel like this is a lecture?
Because it is. You voice a complaint in a way which, in my opinion, does not do justice to the efforts of many members in this community.

I merely attempt to indicate how you yourself can contribute to help improve the problem which you have highlighted. Your complaints are valid, but without help from the users these issues will not be solved.

The wheel goes round but nothing changes, it's the whole reason why Linux CDs etc never caught on - people don't want to have to struggle to use their computer. The number of times I've tried crap like Ubuntu after promises of 'it's different this time!' and found myself at that fu'ing console yet again trying to make things 'just work'.
What has this to do with the pandora operating system? Pandora's Angström just works out of the box. It is not like ubuntu, where you maybe have to fix something.

And of course it is designed more like a PC operating system, because the Pandora is like a mini PC and not like an Android Phone.

you have to remember the software on the Pandora isn't licensed by Openpandora Ltd or Openpandora GmbH they do not stamp their approval on a game or app before it gets released, therefore it is not the Pandora's fault or the personal who sold it to you if the software you are trying to use is not as easy to use as you expected.

in regards to support you cant expect the company behind the Pandora to be liable for 3rd party software support.

as far as I'm aware in most cases the community surrounding the Pandora, or the author of an app will usually try there best to help people who need it, and as far as I can see no one has refused to help you? and I see no such unhelpful or elitist vibe in the forum.

of course I don't read every single post so if there is anything like that point it out cos it shouldn't really be happening.

Hmm well the pandora can be a tricky beast for some stuff but mucking about with it and using the forum here and learning from other users over the last few years i have in fact become quite competent around computers as opposed to my previous crapness. Then again if things continue the android apple way then one wont have to learn so much about using a system in the future i guess.

Any future handheld from me will run Android.
So many mobile devices use Android today, this is just so mainstream and no challenge! ;)

I've also heard that Android eats quite alot ressources, maybe even more than our Angström Linux does on the Pandora. However, I have no proof of that and it can be wrong or even quite thee opposite. Of course I'm always open to everything that speeds up the Handheld, no matter what OS it would be...maybe even Windows 8? :lol:

as far as I'm aware in most cases the community surrounding the Pandora, or the author of an app will usually try there best to help people who need it, and as far as I can see no one has refused to help you? and I see no such unhelpful or elitist vibe in the forum.
unless youre suhkiextreme/ocean, that guy is just a jackass at times

A Android Pandora would have failed, who would buy a outdated hardware, with an outdated version of Android at this price ?

The Pandora with Linux is what make the Pandora what it is.

Users are now too spoiled and they prefer to complain than think a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back