The Archos Gamepad.

FZERO or any of the other new owners, is the screen well-lighted or somewhat dim even at maximum and how is the color saturation and contrast qualities? Is the gamepad's weight cumbersome to hold over time? Thanks. :)   

the screen is well lit IMO.

certainly bright enough, it looks good face on, if you tilt it side to side it is still good, if you tilt it towards you it is still good, if you tilt it away from you... it does go a bit 'negative' looking at about 45degree.

so, seeing as any tilt you use is going to be tilting away, it is a shame the screen wasn't put on upside down.

that said, the weight is fine, not top heavy or anything so doesn't become a problem after holding for any reasonable time, I've no worries there.

battery is pretty weak though, this is running out way too quick, I'm basically putting it on charge as soon as I put it down from playing on it

battery is pretty weak though, this is running out way too quick, I'm basically putting it on charge as soon as I put it down from playing on it
Heard the same thing from someone else that managed to nab one & must admit this kinda put's me off.. is it a sealed unit? if not perhaps the battery could be replaced/upgraded

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah it's sealed, no visible screws. I'm hoping for a better update in due course that improves this battery life

How does it fare battery-wise in other chores? Say with average internet browsing, IM, viewing pictures and pdf documents. Does it last for 5-6 hours?

You're welcome.

Nognir, I'm not sure, I've not really noted that.

I'll give that a test later though when I am home and let you know

Any chance you can try mame4droid reloaded and try some higher end games like darius gaiden salamander2 crystal of kings and radiant silvergun to see what cpu performance is like? i know rs wont run fast just want to see if theres any improvement over other handheld mame builds.Also i hear theres a finalburn alpha build called aFBA its not on the play store you can get it herehttp://www.emucr.com/2012/10/afba-v12.html any  way could you try Ketsui and dodonpachi daioujou 

I'll give that a test later though when I am home and let you know
I'd be really thankful for that. It'll available again on 27/12 at the local seller here. I don't expect netbook-level battery life but 3 hours on wifi away from the charger while browsing would be good enough I guess

you might get that 3 hours for browsing over wifi, just...

I'll let you know though late tonight

ok...

I had 87% battery at 8:00pm

Just got the 'low battery' warning.

It's now on 14% at 9:45pm

I've been browsing the web constantly, with WiFi on obviously, the screen has been active for that 1hr 45min duration.

Just looking at HTML websites, not been on YT or anything with video which might consume more/quicker.

So if you do the maths, bearing in mind I started only with 85% not 100% and still have the last 14% juice left... it probably would just about make 3hours constant browsing eh?

hope that helps

If I've done the math right: 105mins/(87%-14%) = 143.86mins = 2hrs 24mins. Quite steep...

I'm between the Archos Gamepad and the Ainol Novo 7 Fire/Flame if I'm getting a tablet. The latter has a less powerful chipset but packs a 1280x800 IPS screen, an aluminium back cover and a battery life of approx. 5hrs. For me the gaming controls on Archos Gamepad are just a plus, there's just no better bang for buck for a tablet you can find in your local seller atm, I don't dare take my chances. Has it been proven comfortable in browsing during the testing time?

yes I find it comfortable holding, no problem there for me at all.

I dont know the Ainol Novo 7 Fire/Flame.

I do have an Ainol Novo 7 Advanced though, which I got the missus the other year, that's updated to 4.0.3 but I find the Archos screen looks nicer/brighter and is clearer when scrolling down webpages, where the Ainol seems to trail a bit.

The Ainol Fire though I can't say I've seen so not sure on that.

Archos is comfortable though.

Only thing I will say is due to the sides of screen being wider than most tablets that don't have gaming controls there, you do have to stretch your thumb a bit more to reach the center of screen if clicking there, I tend to support the Archos in my left hand and let go of the right hands grip to reach to the middle of screen... if you were doing that a lot it might add strain to the one hand supporting it more over time. Whereas with another 7" with the typical thin sides you'd always have the weight distributed across both hands as your thumb would still reach the center screen easily... if you know what I mean

I see... The gaming controls become a possible hinder in that case. I plan to use it with a capacitive stylus (10E more) and I think it's small enough to hold in one hand near the middle of the lengthy side (reason I stick to 7" tablets). I now hope for some firmware upgrade that will help the battery life, and an upgrade to Android 4.2.

You've been helpful, enjoy your Gamepad

And Merry Christmas :D

nice one Sony, I'm going to give this a little look later tonight hopefully.

looking at the comments on that thread I'd say custom firmware is imminent :)

Looks like hmv will be stocking this very soon they have it up on there tech page but no price or release date

Back