The Apparent Problem With The Usb Connection

CyberAxe

i have a card reader so its not THAT important to me to be able to transfere files via the cable but it would be nice to be able to do so.

this has probably been mentioned before though i couldnt see it so just throught i'd mention it sice ive not seen anyone else mention it.

i think the reason that so many people have trouble with the USB SD is because the GP2x seems to show itself as a USB HD rather than a Removable Media Drive which is quite apparent if you look in my computer and compare how the gp2x acts compared to a card reader.

also any digicam ive seen that hooks up via usb shows itself as a removable media device and not show up as a removable hd so this shoudl be fixable if they update the driver to act appropriatly.

and this would explain why the card only works properly on the gp2x if you format it on the gp2x but doesnt work properly if you slot it into an SD Card reader and vice versa since if anyone has noticed put a card thats formated on the gp2x and slap it in a card reader it is formated and usable but none for the files are visable and it shows about 250mb used space with practically nothing on it.

the usb connection isn't beeped up because it is shown as a hard drive. Most mp3 players and digital cameras do that. I think the firmware is messed up in the GP2X. For example, if you overclock the GP2x the usb doesn't work anymore. Also, my card reader could read a GP2x formatted sd card and vice versa. ??weird problem??

Just thought I would through this out there, when I try hooking my gp2x up to my laptop through the usb connection (usb 2.0), then my laptop doesn't recognize the device. However, if I plug my gp2x into my usb 1.1 hub, and plug that into my laptop, it works just fine (except at the usb 1.1 speeds).

I hooked up my gp2x to my older media player computer I have hooked up to my TV and it is detected fine, it is a socket A athlon computer though as opposed to the socket 939 on my main machine, it could be the motherboard is dependent on whether it is detected or not.

For anyone that is interested:

I've had these USB issues, but have found (surprisingly enough) that after installing gfoot's Gadget device serial dirvers on the gpx2 and the corresponding windows drivers on the PC side, the issue seems to have disappeared i.e. I no longer need to load USBMon in order to get USB to work.

(there seems to be some confusion in windows over the USB device ID's from what I can determine, and somehow gfoot's drivers sort this out)

gfoot's drivers can be found at:
http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1191

I have also updated the wiki with the relevant information.
I'd really appreciate it if people experiencing this issue could test this.
Thanks
-(e)

when i tested the usb transfere abilities i am sure i already had those installed

when i tested the usb transfere abilities i am sure i already had those installed

Okay... It seems I might have jumped the gun on this one :(
I'll remove from the wiki. Seems this only works on my home machine, which probably indicates that there is something else at play.

Thanks for your response
-(e)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back