The 256X256X256 Thread

BlackPixel: Could you post the MTL file and texture for your model? The OBJ file references a "blackpixel_ship_test_02_export.mtl". The OBJ file only contains the geometry data and I can't seem to find a good converter for FBX files. I'm not doing anything fancy, just messing around with irrlicht, but your model has inspired me :)

I kind of had to cheat a bit and break my own rules, but I got pretty close...

el-pango-palm-tree.jpeg

280 tris*, 64x64(?!) texture, designed to carefully abuse alpha testing, everything more or less arranged into triangle strips, should be very SGX-friendly.

Let me know if you would like the file itself. It's not boned or animated yet, but it wouldn't take me too much effort.

*The fronds have both front and back faces; if someone wanted to use it with back face culling disabled, we could dump a LOT of tris that way.

I'm following this thread with quite a lot of interest - would you guys please include the model files in your posts?

el_pango: I could easily use your tree model in WakeBreaker, for example, and it would work pretty well ..

torpor said:
I'm following this thread with quite a lot of interest - would you guys please include the model files in your posts?

el_pango: I could easily use your tree model in WakeBreaker, for example, and it would work pretty well ..

Wish granted - look here.

Also, here's another variation, without the coconut, slightly fewer tris, slightly nicer silhouette, IMO.
palm2.jpeg

Somewhere, I have this silly little calypso-sounding .xm that loops after about a minute - let me know if you want that (it would be nice if the example program could explain how to use sound and libmikmod as well).

Last edited by a moderator:
el_pango said:
Also, here's another variation, without the coconut, slightly fewer tris, slightly nicer silhouette, IMO.

Sans Coconut?!?! Ever Palm tree needs a coconut!

-God Ginrai

There's something I don't quite like about the surface normals on the tail...

It definitely needs work, but...

spacecraft-256-tris.jpeg

at least the polycount's nice and low.

el_pango said:
There's something I don't quite like about the surface normals on the tail...
nice model. as re the tail - you need smoothing groups (or whatever the blender control equivalent) to create discontinuity at the tip of the stabilizer - right now the tip is a single vertex, on a very 'sharp edge' - that creates unnatural normals.

Blender?
There's an autosmooth function somewhere, you can tell Blender to make all edges of a certain angle or greater sharp. It's in the button box for "object", under "edit". It's F9 on my version.

I don't know what model formats can handle that, though, so there's also a modifier called EdgeSplit that will automatically split sharp edges so a primitive graphics library can just draw everything Gouraud / Phong, but since the edge has 4 vertices instead of 2, the normals are fixed. It wastes a little bit of space, if you care about that.

God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
Obviously the Coconut needs to be a model of it's own such that you can shoot it down :)

Caine said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
Obviously the Coconut needs to be a model of it's own such that you can shoot it down :)

Well, if we're going that far, then each half of the coconut needs to be its own model, so you can break it in half and use it to gallop. ;)

-God Ginrai

Hey Everyone!

Just to flaunt my newly aquired modeling talents I've decided to show off a couple models of mine. :D

Both are WWII style planes modeled from using plans from The Blueprints

They are also modeled with the Pandora in mind so I made them as low-poly as I could but they are still over the 256 limit. (Sorry!)

Plane name - He 162 A-2
he162a2lowpoly.png

Poly count - 572
Notes - On the top of the plane is a jet engine.

Plane Name - Arsenal-vb-10
arsenalvb10lowpoly.png

Poly count - 450

I modeled these for a game idea I have that attempts to mimic the 1944 style of gameplay but with more features.

Leaderboards

Online multiplayer

Custom soundtracks

Plane customization

Computer and Pandora cross-platform play

etc...

I decided not to smooth them because I believe it takes away the retro look. :/
If you want to see a wireframe just ask. :D

Edit: If anyone would tell me the best way to unwrap a model like this I'd be eternally grateful :D
Double Edit: I made my own thread asking for people willing to help me with the project.

Dragons_Slayer said:
Doesn't really fit the 256tris (it has 2408tris :unsure: ) but does have a 256x256 texture and I'm sure the Pandora could handle this model. It's Scrooge McDuck :D !

2dae1croessiegfried101.jpg

2dae1croessiegfried101d.jpg
I meant to remark on how awesome this one is days ago, but never got around to it; this seriously looks like he could have walked right out of a Kingdom Hearts game. How long did he take you to make?

Hi all,

I hate to hijack a thread, but the artwork here is top notch and the thread activity is pretty dead. If any of the artists here would like to collaborate on (possibly commercial) 3D projects for the Wiz/Canoo, please give me a shout. My game engine is pretty mature already - http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55551-wiz-game-engine/ and I'll be releasing more demos shortly.

Cheers
Kurt

Back