Thank You, Caanoo Software Devs!

dpaoli1979

Still Fresh
I'm new to the forums here at gp32x.de but I have been a user of open source handhelds since the GP2X F-100 days. I recently got a Caanoo and it is a fantastic platform...definitely the best (in terms of overall quality) handheld that GPH has released thus far.

Anyhow - I just wanted to thank all of you independent developers out there who have been hard at work porting emulators and games to the Caanoo. You guys are damn good at what you do and while I don't have the skills to do it myself, I can certainly appreciate the talent and effort that goes into software development. In 9 months time, the quality of emulation on the Caanoo is already darn close to what has been achieved on the Wiz in over 2 years. Hats off to you guys!

Even this early in the Caanoo's life I can only think of 2 things I would still like to see. Everything else I wanted is already available and in excellent form! We already have flawless Genesis emulation and superb SNES and NES emulation...amongst a bunch of computer emus that I haven't had the chance to try yet. Even Gameboy Advance emulation is already at least as good as it was on Wiz.

Eventually I'd love to see better PC Engine emulation on Caanoo (Hugo is still pretty buggy on the Caanoo...but it was terrific on the Wiz!)...and a port of Star Control II would be pretty awesome too! But until we see those things I've already got plenty to do on the Caanoo and I couldn't be more pleased.

Thanks so much for all of the hard (and excellent!) work!

Dark Lizzrd

Last edited by a moderator:
PC Engine - have you tried Temper (for the Wiz) through Ginge yet? Its the only one I've tried, and while I don't use it much, I've never had issues.

Of course, it requires GINGE, but that's not too big a deal to get going, and even if you can't stand all the extra steps, BAFelton put together a nice little Starter Kit for the Caanoo (Just grab the APP directory for Ginge, and under Games, grab Temper) with a GPE script already made for running Temper direct from the 'Games' menu.

Akabei said:
Talking about Ginge. There is a Wiz version of Ur-Quan Masters, which is an open source port of Star Control II.
see here

Thanks, man. Yeah I actually had Star Control II installed on my Wiz when I had it. It was a fantastic port. I haven't thought about using Ginge to play the Wiz port on Caanoo. I'll give that a shot! A native port on Caanoo would be great, though! :)

Remy said:
PC Engine - have you tried Temper (for the Wiz) through Ginge yet? Its the only one I've tried, and while I don't use it much, I've never had issues.

Of course, it requires GINGE, but that's not too big a deal to get going, and even if you can't stand all the extra steps, BAFelton put together a nice little Starter Kit for the Caanoo (Just grab the APP directory for Ginge, and under Games, grab Temper) with a GPE script already made for running Temper direct from the 'Games' menu.

Thanks for the tip, man! I haven't thought about using Ginge but I'll definitely give it a shot. Temper was a fantastic emulator for the Wiz with near-perfect PC Engine emulation. A native port would still be great but this is definitely the next best thing...and probably still better than Hugo on the Caanoo. ;)

Dark Lizzard said:
Remy said:

Thanks for the tip, man! I haven't thought about using Ginge but I'll definitely give it a shot. Temper was a fantastic emulator for the Wiz with near-perfect PC Engine emulation. A native port would still be great but this is definitely the next best thing...and probably still better than Hugo on the Caanoo. ;)
Temper through ginge is pretty much perfect. I love it! Its one of my favorite systems. I did a video of it because it was so good.

Back