Tg16/pce Cd Emulation...or Updated Hugo?

i use temper for playing cd games for now. i'm having some trouble converting to ogg. some tracks convert fine while others don't and the bin to iso ogg.exe would just stall. it might just be my image wo i\ll try some ither isos.

FreddyBoubil said:
Well I suppose I'm unlucky since I can't manage to have these games running perfectly every time. I ever tried some different roms.

Maybe it's a firmware problem, which FW do you use on your Caanoo? I am on 1.6.0, the Roms are from the TOSEC roms.

Last edited by a moderator:
CKeichel said:
I tried Final Match Tennis at 533 MHz and it ran fine, Parodius ran to slow at 533 MHz, it ran fine at 760 MHz. I also noticed, that sometimes it still started to slow, as if the 760 MHz weren't applied. I was able to get the game running at 60 FPS then, when I opened the menu once and went to options, after returning to the game, it was fullspeed.

Temper has got a very good compatibility, but it's too slow... the code would require an "optimization"...
Hu-Go is less compatible and in some cases it suffers of graphics glitches, however the emulation speed is better (many games run at fullspeed with the Caanoo CPU set to 400 MHz).

Gab1975 said:
Temper has got a very good compatibility, but it's too slow... the code would require an "optimization"...
Hu-Go is less compatible and in some cases it suffers of graphics glitches, however the emulation speed is better (many games run at fullspeed with the Caanoo CPU set to 400 MHz).

Nothing's wrong with Temper's performance and it doesn't require optimation. It can usually run on a GP2X under 150MHz and a Wiz under 300MHz.. Caanoo shouldn't need much more than Wiz in the worst case. It's much faster than Hu-Go with CPU interpreter and video code (which take a bulk of the CPU time) written in optimized ARM ASM.. If this weren't the case I never would have released it because the whole motivation for its existence was that the Hu-Go port on GP2X wasn't fast enough.

The degredation has to be induced by Ginge or something else specific to it running on Caanoo.

CKeichel said:
FreddyBoubil said:
Well I suppose I'm unlucky since I can't manage to have these games running perfectly every time. I ever tried some different roms.

Maybe it's a firmware problem, which FW do you use on your Caanoo? I am on 1.6.0, the Roms are from the TOSEC roms.

The Caanoo was 1.5.0 when I bought it but I downgraded it to 1.0.6 because this fw is faster. I downloaded these roms a long time ago but they always worked perfectly on the devices I used for emulation (Xbox, Wiz and Xbox 360).

Yesterday evening I had something strange : I was playing Dragon's Curse for about an hour at full speed when the game suddenly became slow, sounds were in trouble, like FMT when I launch it.

Exophase said:
Nothing's wrong with Temper's performance and it doesn't require optimation. It can usually run on a GP2X under 150MHz and a Wiz under 300MHz.. Caanoo shouldn't need much more than Wiz in the worst case. It's much faster than Hu-Go with CPU interpreter and video code (which take a bulk of the CPU time) written in optimized ARM ASM.. If this weren't the case I never would have released it because the whole motivation for its existence was that the Hu-Go port on GP2X wasn't fast enough.

The degredation has to be induced by Ginge or something else specific to it running on Caanoo.

Yes, I didn't explain it well... I mean that Temper would require a code optimization for the Caanoo, a native Caanoo version would be very appreciated! :)

i will KILL for CD iso support...either Hugo or Temper!!
i wish i knew how to help out :(

rotation said:
i will KILL for CD iso support...either Hugo or Temper!!
i wish i knew how to help out :(

Why don't you simply use Temper for your ISOs?

Cd iso are not well supported in hu-go, even in the original version. I've read that the wii version was fine, but we can't compare wii hardware and caanoo hardware ;).

I've done a little hack on the psp version using a simple mp3 player to play audio tracks, but it wasn't accurate at all (music continue to play even when it should be finished etc ...).
On caanoo i would have to rewrite all this part, and it will be very slow since it's already slow without mp3 decoding (so it's gonna be worse with a mp3 or ogg thread player). Since temper is working fine using ginge caanoo, there is no reason for me to work on this feature in hu-go.

yeah pc engine on temper through ginge is pretty much perfect. i don't see any reason to port that to the caanoo anymore unless someone wants to add multiplayer capabilities.

Back