Testing Quake Maps

Octavious

Programer Guru! ...in the making
Website
www.retroportables.4x2.net
well, I am starting to reproduce things in HL Blue Shit
and I am making them in a map I would like to test
I am making small stuff for now, but would like to test my scaling so I know if its right size
example, I dont want the trash can to be as big as a person, and I want to see how stuff looks
so...
How do I get a quake map from worldcraft 1.6 and go to GPquake so I can test them?
thx

~Octavious

ps no chatboard, but tell me both ways so I can use one when I get one

just copyit ti (where the pak is) /maps nad create a autoexec.cfg one dir down wit the line map "bspname without .bsp"

but you can also test it on pc quake, its the same

oh and i got frustratet with my doom map (first levelnormal doom) for quake, lighting is a real bitch for me, someone wants to complete it?

my version of PCQuake is messed up
whole screen is shifted righ ( from low res )
and I cant see the command to change resolution,
how test in normal quake tho?
put what where and then can the console be used?

And
so in gpquake, make folder gpmm/quake/id1/maps
put it in there titled??? sry, im confused, its early, no coffee yet
then run how? where do i get that autoexecute thing?

~Octavious

put pk1.pak in gpmm/quake/id1/
put your bsp (any name you want) in gpmm/quake/id1/maps
put your .wad(if you have one= in gpmm/quake/id1/
put a text file calld autoexec.cfgi in gpmm/quake/
in the autoexec cfg writethe line "map mapname" mapname is the filename of the bsp without .bsp

ok
thx
If I am using standard quake stuffs for textures and such, do I still need that WAD file?
if so, which particular one, or should I just mess around tryin a few

thx for the fast and clear description on what to do
now am I right that that will come up as a mod undeer the quake launcher?

~Octavious

you only need our own wad file when you have your own textures

no it wont show up as a mod theis way, but when you start quake it automatic loads your map, thats what the autoexec.cfg is used for

Octavious posted on Sep 29 2004 at 11:25 AM said:
...HL Blue Shit...

Lol thats some funny typo :D

I wish you good luck for making your map, can`t wait to see it. Are you making Half Life weapons too, (a tc perhaps)?

Last edited by a moderator:
AHH
Blue Shift
sry
I am trying to remake the weapons in Qme 3.1, but its dificult
Although I am getting there
I have got the trash can and microwave done and some other little doodads
however, they are all in quake textures for now
I am trying now to make a glass screen on the microwave
but its comin along
I have to have a map tho with all my stuff saved cause the nonregistered version wont use prefabs, or save them

~Octavious

it should be possible i think...
you can just convert the textures ;) so you have many things done, perhaps you can also convert the models? i dont know.. but i think you have to rebuild the maps.. cause you cant open compiled bsp maps i think and even if, it would be very illegal to release a HL for gp32 with most things stolen.. even if i would not care :D
hmm if we could get enough people for such a project together i would help. im not that good in worldcraft yet but i think i could help.

Hi, found this quake mod, which is compatible with HL maps.. :)
http://mods.moddb.com/254/
but cant find a download anywhere.. :(

maps wouldnt work, models dont work ( I tried already, less Im doing somethin wrong?? )
anyways, theres a lot of pollys in HL models compared to Quake models
remember
Quake can only run 500 polygons per screen

~Octavious

hmm i want to try to do some maps in HL style.. but for this i have to find textures.. since i want to make a bit more legal ;) i want to use just textures from the Half-life Demo... but i cant find it, i saw on file planet a HL Uplink demo and im downloading this now.. is this what im searching for? ( i remember that i played a demo which was around 200MB and with speach and everything) Thanks for any help bye

ok i think the demo is useable, but i cant find the textures in the pak0 file :( can anyone help me

okay... got a compiled HL map (from HL Uplink) back to *.map and then loaded in Worldcraft for quake ;) ... but its way to big, so you have to rezise it down... much work.. but i want to try to make the start of normal halflife for quake ... not that legal but i want to see what we can do with it..
now i have to get my halflife.wad back to a quake wad with wally.. much work to do... perhaps i have somethign ready at the end of the weekend..

EDIT:
so in now know how to get textures converted... quite easy :) prepare to see the first HL level on your gp32 soon...
one thing is just sad.. we now have just a basic port of the original quake.. but i would like to see a bit more advanced version... would like to see support for transparent textures, glass, sky (if they could port openquartz, the program, would be cool)

is here anyone who has some skills with milkshape.. would be nice to see HL Weapons and monsters.. downsized they should work, no?

hope we get this done.. portable Half-life.. argh that would be so cool ;)

EDIT:
got the gasworks multiplayer map working, not the whole thing but a part of it.
i now know that a 34mb wad with textures is too much for the quake engine .. have to find a way arround this problem. for the singleplayer demo map i will make a wad with just the textures this map needs so with this kind of trick the map should run.
wish me luck

Coyuld you tell me how to convert the textures wad from wad3 to wad 2?
( half life to Quake )
also, where do I get the bsp for my map?
im confused, tired, and gettin to the drunk partt

~Octavious

o ya, once ya get to a quake compatable wad, removing unecasary fuiles is easy
just use a wad explorer
an make sure that you save an origioal copy of the convertes wad foir wlater use
mmmmm alchol

Back