Release Temper (Split from other thread)

I also never had any audio issue with Temper 0.80. I completed all the Ys games and they sound perfectly for me.

Compatibility is indeed worse than 0.75 version. Some games show several graphic errors (Nexzr, Sapphire, Faussete Amour, F1 Circus: Pole to Win), other games have cutscenes-only problems (Mugen Senshi Valis), and there are also various random issues (Fantasy Star Soldier hangs at the end of the first level, Exile crash during battle scenes, Seirei Senshi Spriggan crash during ending scene).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your answer.

Well, for the audio problem, it's my fault. The problem was here because I used a save state that I did with the Wiz version. The weird thing is that it's was working well with Dracula X.

Thank you again for your emulator. It's really one of my favorite.

I also never had any audio issue with Temper 0.80. I completed all the Ys games and they sound perfectly for me.

Compatibility is indeed worse than 0.75 version. Some games show several graphic errors (Nexzr, Sapphire, Faussete Amour, F1 Circus: Pole to Win), other games have cutscenes-only problems (Mugen Senshi Valis), and there are also various random issues (Fantasy Star Soldier hangs at the end of the first level, Exile crash during battle scenes, Seirei Senshi Spriggan crash during ending scene).

I'll have to look into this sometime I guess :/ I might nag you for savestates at some point in the future.

This is going to be the first emu to hit my 1G unit when it arrives.

Star Parodier hangs after the first level (black screen), before displaying the end level picture. And the spacecraft selection screen is garbled. Game works fine with version 0.75 on Wiz(+Caanoo).

I have attached 2 save states. One just before and another just after the first end level boss.

Thanks for your great work. :)

temper_080_pandora_star_parodier_save_states.zip

Attachments

• temper_080_pandora_star_parodier_save_states.zip
    478.7 KB · Views: 148
Star Parodier hangs after the first level (black screen), before displaying the end level picture. And the spacecraft selection screen is garbled. Game works fine with version 0.75 on Wiz(+Caanoo).

I have attached 2 save states. One just before and another just after the first end level boss.

Thanks for your great work. :)

First off this game rocks !!

I also have the same issue after level one is completed ..

I don't need three people to all report the same bug :p (if the old version in GINGE plays it fine that's enough confirmation that it isn't a bad dump) Try some other games :(

As promised, Temper was the first emu to hit my Pandora. Great job. It was especially pleasing to hear all the PCM samples. I´ve been playing so many ports of Hugo on various platforms and those sounds have been conspicuously absent on all of them, so it´s great to have an emu where all the sample stuff plays.

Only problem I´ve been having is that I can´t seem to get any CDs to run. They´re in cue/bin/ogg format, and attempts to load them result in quit-to-desktop.

Also, it would be nice if it appeared in the emulators section of the menu, rather than games->other. :p

As promised, Temper was the first emu to hit my Pandora. Great job. It was especially pleasing to hear all the PCM samples. I´ve been playing so many ports of Hugo on various platforms and those sounds have been conspicuously absent on all of them, so it´s great to have an emu where all the sample stuff plays.

Only problem I´ve been having is that I can´t seem to get any CDs to run. They´re in cue/bin/ogg format, and attempts to load them result in quit-to-desktop.

Also, it would be nice if it appeared in the emulators section of the menu, rather than games->other. :p

For Cd games i reccomend to use iso/ogg format. You will save space on your SD card at the only price of some occasional slowdown. I suppose your problem is related to the cuesheet file. Check Cd section in Temper Readme for some useful infos.

For Cd games i reccomend to use iso/ogg format. You will save space on your SD card at the only price of some occasional slowdown. I suppose your problem is related to the cuesheet file. Check Cd section in Temper Readme for some useful infos.

Ooohh, that's what the mysterious "readme" file was in the documents menu. I never checked which pnd it belonged to. Thanks for the tip. Okay, time to go RTFM.

Alright, tried a different Super CD card, seems to work now. Wicked.

Seems to get the tracks mixed up with "Dungeon Explorer II", step out of the castle and hear the wondrous screech of a data file being played as audio. I had ripped that CD using ISO/WAV just to see if the OGG CUE files were my initial problem. However, "Gate of Thunder 4 in 1" and "Dragon Slayer", which I had ripped to BIN/OGG for my original testing now seem to behave perfectly, so I'll try OGGing Dungeon Explorer II.

Annoyingly, my old original Dracula X CD appears to have a small bit of damage that prevents it extracting. Grr.

Interestingly, in my random HuCard-trying, the original Dungeon Explorer would quit to desktop when you get to the player entry screen. I'll try another ROM dump of it. The only other HuCard dump I found a problem with was Batman, which had scrambled graphics. Everything else I tried thus far looks good. Wish I had the hardware to dump all my original HuCards.

This emu kicks serious butt. It's the best PC Engine emu I've seen. You, Mr. Exophase, are an artist of code.

Edit: Re-ripped my Dungeon Explorer II CD, encoded the audio in OGG. Working now. Not sure what happened last time. Tried a different dump of Dungeon Explorer 1, still quits to desktop on the player entry screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only other HuCard dump I found a problem with was Batman, which had scrambled graphics. Everything else I tried thus far looks good. Wish I had the hardware to dump all my original HuCards.

Okay, this is useful information.

Can everyone who was testing give me a report on what all is still broken with this update:

http://exophase.devzero.co.uk/temper.pnd

Thanks.

Tested some Cd games with the last Temper build, here the results:

Fantasy Star Soldier/Star Parodier: like Yoshi said, same as before

Nexzr: same as before, heavy gfx errors - unplayable

Mugen Senshi Valis: still black stripes during cutscenes

Exile: no longer crash in battle scenes but there are still some minor issues in the title screen

Faussete Amour: now works perfectly, no more gfx errors

Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire: now works perfectly, no more gfx errors

Dragon Slayer - The Legend of Heroes: there were some cutscenes problems, now all is perfect

Ys 4 - The Dawn of Ys: screen is still not perfectly centered so Adol and enemy HP bars are not entirely displayed

Super Formation Soccer 95 della Serie A: screen issues like Ys 4

Beyond Shadowgate: didnt tested much but i noticed a gfx error in the first scene (prison)

Super F1 Circus - Pole to Win: black screen after Nichibutsu logo, not working

Found also a non working hu-card game: F1 Circus (the first one, '91 and '92 editions work fine)

Dungeon Explorer 1 (HuCard) still exits to desktop on the player entry screen.

Batman now seems to be descrambled and working fine.

Another one for you: Neo Nectaris CD boots fine, but when you start a game, you just get a black screen, a little disk activity, then nothing.

Just a heads-up for PC Engine fans - I have found a way to start a game of Neo Nectaris. You can go to the password screen and type in the password for the first level: "SHEKEL". You'll miss the intro sequence, but can play the game from level 1 onward.

I only just discovered this thread, ive been using Mednafen until now, but will give this emulator a go tonight, the fact that is scales the width to the pandora screen is a big plus for me.

Tnx for the hard work Exophase.

Back