Temper Pc-engine/turbografx-16 Emulator V0.7

slaanesh said:
[...]
Dragonball Z. Great Graphics. What the hell do you do? I have no idea.
[...]
All games ripped from my own collection[...]
Hmm... interesting. You don't know what to do in a game of collection (which you mayb eown since ten years) ? :) :)

*SCNR*

Last edited by a moderator:
Duddyroar said:
I've tried and tried and the conversion program still crashes, how come it works for some people but not others?

This is a major problem as I can obviously play the emulator regardless, but I'd really like to fit a few more games on the SD card. :)
Wait for the next release and see if the one there works better. If it doesn't then we can try to diagnose it more specifically.

Creature XL said:
slaanesh said:
[...]
[...]
Hmm... interesting. You don't know what to do in a game of collection (which you mayb eown since ten years) ? :) :)

*SCNR*

I have a few Japanese text games which I have no idea what to do. Dragonball Z on the PC Engine was supposed to be a really good game so I bought it. I haven't figured it out. I have many PC Engine games and admittedly I haven't played some of them as much as others.

So if anyone know what to do, please let me know!

Duddyroar said:
I've tried and tried and the conversion program still crashes, how come it works for some people but not others?

This is a major problem as I can obviously play the emulator regardless, but I'd really like to fit a few more games on the SD card. :)
Okay, check your .cue files. If you use a text editor, they should have contents similar to this. This example is the first few tracks of "Steam Hearts":

CODE
FILE "STEAMHEARTS.BIN" BINARY
TRACK 01 AUDIO
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 MODE1/2352
PREGAP 00:03:00
INDEX 01 00:53:47
TRACK 03 AUDIO

Now make sure that the FILE "STEAMHEARTS.BIN" is correct and matches your actual .BIN!
I've found that if this is different (ie. you've renamed it) then the ogg extractor will crash in the manner you've described.

Also, i've still found that spaces in the file name cause problems. I just ripped "Star Parodia". With the space the ogg extractor died, without it was fine.
I realize that a shell will need to escape funny characters or needs quotes around names which have odd characters (inc. spaces), however try removing spaces from the name and make cure your .cue file is correct.

Duddyroar said:

Are you sure that your run your conversion on the cue file and not on the bin, because all conversion had worked for me except twice (crash of the converter) when i tried to convert using the bin instead of the cue (because of the auto complete dos command line of xp which choose the bin by default)

ex: bin_to_iso_ogg.exe Spriggan.bin Spriggan -----> Crash
bin_to_iso_ogg.exe Spriggan.cue Spriggan -----> OK

then these worked like a charm for me:

-Dragon Ball Z
-Download II
-Fantasy Star Soldier
-Forgotten Worlds
-Gate Of Thunder
-Image Fight 2
-Lord Of Thunder
-Nexzr
-Super Raiden
-Rayxanber III
-Sapphire
-Summer Carnival 92
-Shubibiman III
-Serei Senshi Spriggan

Bye

Herc. :ph34r:

slaanesh said:
Creature XL said:
slaanesh said:
[...]
[...]

*SCNR*

I have a few Japanese text games which I have no idea what to do. Dragonball Z on the PC Engine was supposed to be a really good game so I bought it. I haven't figured it out. I have many PC Engine games and admittedly I haven't played some of them as much as others.

Hi Slaanesh,

I`ve never played the game myself, So haven`t got a clue, But i did a quick search on google and found these.

http://superpope.planets.gamespy.com/dbzsh...mes/dbzduo.html

http://www.vgden.com/cdrom/reviews/drz.htm

Hope these helps.

Trooper

hercule18 said:
Duddyroar said:

Are you sure that your run your conversion on the cue file and not on the bin, because all conversion had worked for me except twice (crash of the converter) when i tried to convert using the bin instead of the cue (because of the auto complete dos command line of xp which choose the bin by default)

ex: bin_to_iso_ogg.exe Spriggan.bin Spriggan -----> Crash
bin_to_iso_ogg.exe Spriggan.cue Spriggan -----> OK

then these worked like a charm for me:

-Dragon Ball Z
-Download II
-Fantasy Star Soldier
-Forgotten Worlds
-Gate Of Thunder
-Image Fight 2
-Lord Of Thunder
-Nexzr
-Super Raiden
-Rayxanber III
-Sapphire
-Summer Carnival 92
-Shubibiman III
-Serei Senshi Spriggan

Bye

I'm pretty sure I'm not converting the bin, I'm typing in the command manually so surely there's no way XP could pick the bin over the cue, is there?

trooper said:
slaanesh said:
Creature XL said:
slaanesh said:
[...]
[...]

*SCNR*

Hi Slaanesh,

I`ve never played the game myself, So haven`t got a clue, But i did a quick search on google and found these.

http://superpope.planets.gamespy.com/dbzsh...mes/dbzduo.html

http://www.vgden.com/cdrom/reviews/drz.htm

Hope these helps.

Trooper

What I found by myself:

A = Attack
B = Block
Up/Down = Change Attack Type
Left/Right = move around the stage
A+B Charge Ki

Attack Type (bottom left):
Green = better to charge Ki
Red = Better to Attack
Black = ? may better to defend

What to do:

Usually charge your ki
then in attack mode
move around your apponent and attack him
until your yellow fierce cover his blue
then yu should be in a special menu
choose your special attack.

May be there easy way to fight because like this it take a loooooooooong time to kill your opponent (if you can)

Hope it helped, if you have more info share it.

Bye

Ps little video here :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heo2VdKgUA0

Thanks everyone for your Dragonball Z help!

And thanks Exophase for an amazingly good PCE emulator. It's like a portable version of MagicEngine. I hope you consider that high praise as MagicEngine has been *the* PCE emulator until now. And of course has been released as free (excepting donations of course).

I think if you are using Temper a lot and regular consider giving Exo a wee donation. Perhaps you would also accept PCE CDs? As in real original ones?

slaanesh said:
I think if you are using Temper a lot and regular consider giving Exo a wee donation. Perhaps you would also accept PCE CDs? As in real original ones?
Sorry, but I wouldn't actually have much use for them. I don't even have a real PCE-CD (although I might eventually break down and get one), and I have no interest in adding a real CD-ROM interface to the PC version of Temper.

Just wondering about one feature that may be pretty easy to implement.

When the maximum number of sprite pixels is reached on real PC Engine hardware, additional sprite pixels are no longer drawn. What this means on the display is that you get some flicker. (This limit is 256 sprite pixels on the real hardware).

Temper seems to emulate this "feature" quite well. :)

Any chance of an option in to just draw all sprites despite the actual hardware limitation?

slaanesh said:
Just wondering about one feature that may be pretty easy to implement.

When the maximum number of sprite pixels is reached on real PC Engine hardware, additional sprite pixels are no longer drawn. What this means on the display is that you get some flicker. (This limit is 256 sprite pixels on the real hardware).

Temper seems to emulate this "feature" quite well. :)

Any chance of an option in to just draw all sprites despite the actual hardware limitation?
Probably not going to do that, the internal structures are all centered around the limitation and I'd have to do things pretty differently.. and it'd take a lot more space.

I did add width scaling though >_> And an option to double the volume.

Screen width scaling is awesome! All those damn Irem games use the fat mode and you get a fair chunk of truncated graphics.

Will the scaling go both ways? Will regular screens go "full" screen as well?

slaanesh said:
Screen width scaling is awesome! All those damn Irem games use the fat mode and you get a fair chunk of truncated graphics.

Actually, that's the only way it goes (from 256 to 320). I'm not really interested in fixing up 341 to 320. A real TV wouldn't show an awful lot of that either. The important thing was adding centering, which I did.

centering is good enough for me, it's possible to play those irem games with no problem (i love R-type), shame that bypassing spirte limitation is not as easy :(, anyway awesome emu thank you very much.

I might reconsider the sprite delimiting option if someone sends me a good savestate illustrating where it could help.

Exophase said:
slaanesh said:

Actually, that's the only way it goes (from 256 to 320). I'm not really interested in fixing up 341 to 320. A real TV wouldn't show an awful lot of that either. The important thing was adding centering, which I did.

Is that using the smooth type like Picodrive or just the blocky scaling method? If smooth does it effect speed much?

Thanks again for the great work.

Back