Question About The Pc Engine/turbografx 16 Emulator

zidane2006

Still Fresh
hello everyone,

thanks a lot for the speedy replies on my previous post. This other question that is something that has been stuck in my head for a long time but I need to know the answer...

for the PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 emulator, does it support Dracula X Rondo of Blood, or it does not support CD formats? Thanks a lot for the help!

-zidane2006

zidane2006 posted on Mar 6 2007 at 04:38 PM said:
hello everyone,

thanks a lot for the speedy replies on my previous post. This other question that is something that has been stuck in my head for a long time but I need to know the answer...

for the PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 emulator, does it support Dracula X Rondo of Blood, or it does not support CD formats? Thanks a lot for the help!

-zidane2006

Unfortunatly all of the PC-Engine emulators are rather incomplete. Gp2xengine is probably the most complete but unfortunatly it is very slow if you can't overclock to 275 MHz or more. If you can it is OK but don't expect very good battery life at that speed. It also has some sprite rendering issues. Unfortunatly all of the PC-engine emus appear abandoned and no new ones are known in development. I guess that system is not a priority with devs, too bad really :( There are many games that are better than Sega CD, especially the shooters and some RPGs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you DaveC. It is one of those little jewels of retro gaming that seems to go unnoticed at times. :( It is my favorite retro gaming system. There is nothing like a Turbo Grafx shooter. My Turbo Duo is setting right here beside me hooked up with Soldier Blade ready to play.

What about SquidgeNgine? I know that Squidge is hard at work on his Snes emulator. But we really need is workable PC-engine emulator. We all appreciate Squidges work; we need more coders like him.
Reesy has the Snes thing covered. Notaz has proven Sega CD emulation can run at full speed without needing any toc files. We do have one PCE emulator with its source code with it CPCE. Can't someone take a look at it? It's a shame to let it go waste, just my two cents. :unsure:

Dracula X runs fullspeed with full sound+music in GP2XEngine. It's absolutely brilliant.

It also runs in hu6280 extremely well, but without the music tracks.

And you do NOT have to overclock to 275+. I've never had to overclock past 266 at the absolute most for PC Engine, usually much lower (200-250).

nixeon4x posted on Mar 6 2007 at 08:31 PM said:
What about SquidgeNgine? I know that Squidge is hard at work on his Snes emulator. But we really need is workable PC-engine emulator. We all appreciate Squidges work; we need more coders like him.
Reesy has the Snes thing covered. Notaz has proven Sega CD emulation can run at full speed without needing any toc files. We do have one PCE emulator with its source code with it CPCE. Can't someone take a look at it? It's a shame to let it go waste, just my two cents. :unsure:

Well the poll was made and SquidgeNgine lost out to the "mystery" Tetris clone :ph34r:

I think CPCE had messed up music tracks and ran in 8-bit color.

GunPei2X posted on Mar 6 2007 at 09:01 PM said:
Dracula X runs fullspeed with full sound+music in GP2XEngine. It's absolutely brilliant.

And you do NOT have to overclock to 275+. I've never had to overclock past 266 at the absolute most for PC Engine, usually much lower (200-250).

I can only run at 240 MHz like alot of others too. GP2Xengine is too choppy at that speed. For those that can run at 266 you get lousy battery life.

HU6280 not only is missing the music tracks, but many of the normal game sounds and samples are missing, the noise channel gives out a buzz, and nothing is stereo.

I guess GP2XEngine is the best option at the moment if you can overclock high and run off of the mains.

sam fisher posted on Mar 7 2007 at 12:30 AM said:
Dave, Vobbo has improved the sound. He was going to send me a beta, but then vanished again :(

Edit: As I said before, his GP2x broke.

Well it looks like that is a dead project if his GP2X doesn't work. Maybe he will at least release the source ;)

craigix posted on Mar 7 2007 at 01:57 AM said:
He shows up on #gp2xdev sometimes, i'm sure he would send you the latest beta if you catch him there.

Did he buy it from GBAX or that defunct site?

Gamepark or the distributor could send him a new one as he building support for the system sales.

I think Vobbo deserves a donated gp2x for his pc-engine emulation efforts. Maybe you could work something out craigix? It would be great to get him started again.

xnopasaranx posted on Mar 7 2007 at 02:29 PM said:
I think Vobbo deserves a donated gp2x for his pc-engine emulation efforts. Maybe you could work something out craigix? It would be great to get him started again.

I donated some cash when he was still working on it. At the rate he was going I thought the sound problems would be fixed pretty quick. As soon as the payment left my paypal account all updates stopped and he vanished ;) What luck huh.

DaveC posted on Mar 7 2007 at 12:14 AM said:
Well the poll was made and SquidgeNgine lost out to the "mystery" Tetris clone :ph34r:
I'm sure it'll be better than that :rolleyes:.

GunPei2X posted on Mar 6 2007 at 09:01 PM said:

I agree with GunPei2X - Dracula X Rondo of Blood runs very well with GP2XEngine overclocked to 240MHz... I've been playing it for a while now, and except for some minor sound issues - like when the level music doesn't want to stop playing when the boss music starts, so you end up with two tracks running simultaneously - I've been very happy with the way the game runs... I wish I could say the same of games like Gate or Lords of Thunder, Super Darius II or Valis III, that definitely suffer from sprite rendering issues, and Y's Books I & II, which I haven't been able to get running at all.

It is a shame that PC Engine/Turbografx EMU has been apparently abandonned on the GP2X - it's my fave retro system too, and HU6280 and GP2Xengine are each so close to getting it right - the lion's share of the work's probably done, if only the source were available... :(

Orkie posted on Mar 7 2007 at 04:11 PM said:
DaveC posted on Mar 7 2007 at 12:14 AM said:
I'm sure it'll be better than that :rolleyes:.

I gues it is, if you happen to own his car :rolleyes:

For the rest of us, it won't even be as good as a tetris clone as it is not even GP2X related ;)

Back