Temper Pc-engine/turbografx-16 Emulator V0.7

DaveC said:
I found a minor bug. In the chip game Final Soldier on the title screen, the earth is jumping around a little on it's own. Also when you start the game there is this little window that comes up and itis flickering. The game seems to work fine though.
I know all about this, it's a VDC bug, and it defies the testing results I did. (the window is supposed to flicker though, it's flicker transparency).

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed Shadow of the Beast and Sidearms, but unfortunately the latter required a slowdown to the interpreter.. shouldn't be very major though. I hope to do some optimizations to try to compensate though (more idle loop checks are being done too)

Haven't tested Might & Magic 3 yet, will do so later.

Joobloo said:
I've tried getting DracX and Lords of Thunder to work on my F200, but they both crash. I see the Konami logo (with sound) for DracX, and then it goes black and doesn't respond. Lords of Thunder just goes black. I'm using the RIGG rips of these games which are iso/wav. They iso's are 2048. Anyone have luck on an F200?
I converted the wavs to oggs, and now it works! I think there might be an issue with reading uncompressed wavs on an F200. Anyone else try wavs on an F200?

Joobloo said:
Joobloo said:
I've tried getting DracX and Lords of Thunder to work on my F200, but they both crash. I see the Konami logo (with sound) for DracX, and then it goes black and doesn't respond. Lords of Thunder just goes black. I'm using the RIGG rips of these games which are iso/wav. They iso's are 2048. Anyone have luck on an F200?
I converted the wavs to oggs, and now it works! I think there might be an issue with reading uncompressed wavs on an F200. Anyone else try wavs on an F200?

A lot of people have tried it, although I'm not sure if 16bit 44.1KHz stereo ones have been tried recently. There might be something else weird about your WAVs though.

Wow what an awesome emulator now even more awesomer. :)

Games tested so far:

Dracula X. Fantastic. Seems to work like a charm. Trivia: German speech during the intro movie!
Cotton. Fun game. Works well.
Dragonball Z. Great Graphics. What the hell do you do? I have no idea.
Gradius II Goffer. Love the Gradius series and this one doesn't disappoint.
Spriggan. Compile shooter at it's best! Up there with Gunhed and Super Star Soldier for shooters.
Sylphia. Another great and rare Compile shooter. Works beautifully.
Gate of Thunder. Nice shooter. Like Lords of Thunder.
Steam Hearts. Doesn't work! Goes black straight away. Then nothing.

All games ripped from my own collection using WinCDR to bin/cue and then using the utility to convert audio to OGG. I tried the native bin/cue and iso/ogg for Steam Heart but it's a no-go. I checked the BRAM but it's fine.

If I telnet in, will I get debug messages to the console?
Or do you have a special debug build?

Ok, I've tried that OGG conversion utility several times with several different games now and the end result is always the same - it crashes out, prompting the usual 'Windows must close this program blah blah blah' error message.

Any ideas?

Also, not wanting to sound ungrateful (because I can assure you I'm not, this is a FANTASTIC emulator) but couldn't we have a more streamlined version of the OGG converter? Something like the ISO compressor that was developed for the PSP (and also works for Mega CD ISOs)?

As I said before, command line stuff feels like it's from the Dark Ages to me... :D

Duddyroar said:
Ok, I've tried that OGG conversion utility several times with several different games now and the end result is always the same - it crashes out, prompting the usual 'Windows must close this program blah blah blah' error message.

Any ideas?
Probably because the last one I posted is broken too :< Wait again for the next one, I guess.

Duddyroar said:
Also, not wanting to sound ungrateful (because I can assure you I'm not, this is a FANTASTIC emulator) but couldn't we have a more streamlined version of the OGG converter? Something like the ISO compressor that was developed for the PSP (and also works for Mega CD ISOs)?

As I said before, command line stuff feels like it's from the Dark Ages to me... :D
What could possibly be more streamlined than typing a single line command consisting of nothing more than input and output parameters? No offense, but I'm not writing a Windows GUI over something as trivial as this. A lot of utilities are still command line based, if you can't deal with it now then you should really learn because it isn't hard (but it crashing is another story, pretend it won't do that normally).

If someone else wants to write a frontend for it then that's up to them, but there's no way that I'm doing something like that.

Exo, I was going to change firmwares. Should I wait, so I can test the new release with fixed bram saving? Or do you already have other beta testers with the same issue?

BTW, I just got off of an 11 hour flight. I must have used Temper for over 5 hours. Thanks again for all your work!

grahf said:
Exo, I was going to change firmwares. Should I wait, so I can test the new release with fixed bram saving? Or do you already have other beta testers with the same issue?

BTW, I just got off of an 11 hour flight. I must have used Temper for over 5 hours. Thanks again for all your work!
You should wait (it'd be good if I could get you to beta test for me though).

Duddyroar said:
Exophase said:
Probably because the last one I posted is broken too :< Wait again for the next one, I guess.
But it's working for other people? I might be doing something wrong...

You are not alone DuddyRoar. I too have had no joy in getting this to work. When using the command prompt, the cue appears to load, & then does absolutely nothing for me. I get the message ...

" loading cue file game.cue
loaded bin file t3$ <00000000> "

the about a second or two later the prompt goes back to saying c:\ .... etc.

So far, I haven't managed to get any cd game working at all :(

This is the first time I've ever had trouble getting an emu to work on the GP2X :(

shiffy said:
Duddyroar said:
Exophase said:
But it's working for other people? I might be doing something wrong...

You are not alone DuddyRoar. I too have had no joy in getting this to work. When using the command prompt, the cue appears to load, & then does absolutely nothing for me. I get the message ...

" loading cue file game.cue
loaded bin file t3$ <00000000> "

the about a second or two later the prompt goes back to saying c:\ .... etc.

So far, I haven't managed to get any cd game working at all :(

This is the first time I've ever had trouble getting an emu to work on the GP2X :(

i was having the same problem till i found out you needed to rename that file that goes into the windows directory (check the thread), the program will also crash if i used a cue with a long name or symbols. some cues i tried had names like popful mail [scd2].cue or the like that id gotten off the net, so i tried renaming them something easier like popful.cue but that would also make it crash, it appears it doesnt change the name in the file (or something like that..) so i ended up starting fresh and making a rip using ultraiso which is the easiest program to use, just rip in bin/cue- sometimes it wants to put iso into the name which wont work.. anyway when i made a fresh rip and named it popful (no spaces in name) itll add in the bin & cue extensions..

also make sure when you start the cmd program from run you change the directory to the one your rips are in by typing "cd c:\pce\cd" thats where my games are. then when the directory changed type "bin_to_iso_ogg popful.cue popful" that last popful will be the name of the folder the files will be put in & it creates this folder & files will start with the "popful" prefix. dont use a generic folder name otherwise savestates will overwrite eachother when you save with new games.

sorry about the long post, hope this helps!

bin_to_iso_ogg.exe doesn't seem to like spaces or some funny characters? Either one of those.

Also, if you rename your bin and cue files you must also edit the cue file (it's just text) as this references the bin!

slaanesh said:
bin_to_iso_ogg.exe doesn't seem to like spaces or some funny characters? Either one of those.

Also, if you rename your bin and cue files you must also edit the cue file (it's just text) as this references the bin!
If you have spaces you have to put quotes around the name. This is standard for any shell program.

shiffy said:
Temper works just fine with the bin-cue, iso-wav, and iso-ogg images I have tested (and as many people have attested to.) exo was doing everyone a favor by including a bin2iso program. There are other tools and methods that can be employed if people are so inclined; cdrcue and winiso are some of those. People can also reference the tutorial section on nectstasy to get more familiar with PCE CD dumps. Unlike ROMS we are dealing with CD images and that causes inherently more work.

Thank you to bman, Exophase & Slaneesh and josh f. for all your tips and pointers. I'm now fully up & running with this emu. I think my problem was not editing the cue sheet after ripping the cd to bin/iso. (That is the only thing I have done differently now ... my initial cue sheet was referencing my windows drive. edited that and everything is now fine).

Had a quick test test of a couple of games. I have to say that I am extremely impressed. Especially by the fact that the arcade game "Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire" works flawlessly!!

shiffy said:
Thank you to bman, Exophase & Slaneesh and josh f. for all your tips and pointers. I'm now fully up & running with this emu. I think my problem was not editing the cue sheet after ripping the cd to bin/iso. (That is the only thing I have done differently now ... my initial cue sheet was referencing my windows drive. edited that and everything is now fine).
I actually put code in Temper to strip out those kinds of references, but the conversion program is still using older code (hence the updates.. but that was rather hastily done)

I've tested and they work flawless with iso+ogg+cue:

- Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire (you have to set the arcade cd in the options)
- Dracula X
- Beyond Shadowgate

Sound in my F100 is so low that is nearly useless, both for CD and non-CD games. I think that it is a real problem for this emulator. Apart from this, temper is a great application.

Thanks, Exophase!

I've tried and tried and the conversion program still crashes, how come it works for some people but not others?

This is a major problem as I can obviously play the emulator regardless, but I'd really like to fit a few more games on the SD card. :)

Back