Temper Pc-engine/turbografx-16 Emulator V0.55

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
A bug fix version, 0.56, has since been released, and this is what is linked to now.

Temper (Turbografx EMulator PEr Request) is a PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 emulator for GP2X.

Until it's on the archive you can download it here: http://exophase.devzero.co.uk/temper_v0.56.zip

This is a release to address some of the initial problems in the release last weekend, add some minor optimizations, and add bz2 support. I was going to add zip support, but this was just easier.

I'm going to hopefully focus on adding support for the CD-ROM components next. Wish me luck.

Let me know if I broke anything this time please.

Thanks Exophase. The sound on the high score table of Parasol Stars was messed up on the previous version but is fixed in this one. Also on Parasol Stars (in both the new and old versions of the emu) , the players score keeps having digits disappear, e.g. it may say '6 335' when your score is 61335. It doesn't impact on gameplay in anyway and is just a minor bug. I am using the US version of Parasol Stars.

it seems 133Mhz / 22050Khz should be enough for most of the games i tried :)

also ..
lower than 133Mhz emulator freeze in the configuration screen
F100 / firmware 2.1.1

bigthankyou

133 MHZ? That's so great :)
Thank you so much Exophase, best of luck with the CD-Rom components.
PS: Any plans on polishing the 2X version of Gpsp a little more? You know we are greedy :p

Great release Exophase, Everything runs great but it still crashes to a black screen
when I load a game sometimes, I Look forward to CD emulation. Thanks again for
all your work. :)

Great release Exophase, Everything runs great but it still crashes to a black screen
when I load a game sometimes, I Look forward to CD emulation. Thanks again for
all your work. :)

Edit: Kaizou Ningen Shubibiman freezes after a few seconds during the demo screen when it's loaded.
:huh:

Wow thanks for the update to this already great emu :)

oh yeah, and I wish you luck on the CD part :p

Bug:

It doesn't save my ROM path. It goes back to default after exiting emu.

Super Star Soldier will not work unless you set "patch idle loops" to "no". The problem is that I can't set that as a game specific option as it only lets you set that option after loading the game. But if I load the game it crashes before I can even get to the config.

What I tried was to set the idle loops option to "no" as global. Then I loaded the game and it worked. So then I went to the options and set it to "no" while in SuperStar Soldier and saved the config as game specific. Then I loaded a different game, set the global options to patch idle loops "yes" and saved. For some reason though if I go back into SSS again it won't work, it makes a sound for a second then crashes to a black screen again. It is like the global setting is overwriting the game specific setting. I would think that it would just save the global settings for games that do not already have a specific setting but maybe not the case? So as it is the only way to play SSS is to set patch idle loops to "no" for all games.

Maybe a way around this is to allow setting the game options while the game is highlighted in the file selector without having to load it first?

Hi,

Great Release concerning the sound but, SF2' still freezing the emu and Whereas it worked on Beta 0.5 Soldier Blade (or Super Star Soldier i don't remember) crash on 0.55

Bye

Herc. :ph34r:

Groan, Super Star Soldier must be rejecting the idle loop patching for it.

SF2' never worked and it probably never will, you're imagining things.

EDIT: Okay, I fixed the problem with Super Star Soldier, and it not loading the the previous ROM directory from the .cf2.

Now, what's this about it freezing at < 133MHz? It isn't happening to me. Can someone reproduce something?

Okay, I uploaded a bugfix version that fixes these things (except the < 133MHz freeze report, I have no idea what that's about). Let me know if I broke something else ;P

I absolutely love this emu!!! The only issues I've seen that haven't been reported are as follows:

-The savestates are named different from 0.5 to 0.55. 0.5 had the .pce.svs now just .svs

-The turbo buttons stop responding if up, down, left or right is held while the turbo button is held. Diagonals seem to work. This is on an F100 MK1.

I'll be trying the 0.56 after work tomorrow. Once again, outstanding work. Have gone all the way through Ninja Spirit and Neutopia. Working on Neutopia II now. :)

-Kensupen

Kensupen said:
I absolutely love this emu!!! The only issues I've seen that haven't been reported are as follows:

-The savestates are named different from 0.5 to 0.55. 0.5 had the .pce.svs now just .svs
Yeah, the first names were a mistake.

Kensupen said:
-The turbo buttons stop responding if up, down, left or right is held while the turbo button is held. Diagonals seem to work. This is on an F100 MK1.
Oops, I forgot to look into that. I'll have to save it for next version.. shouldn't be too major right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed the stereo sound is reversed, you can check it in soldier blade, change speeds on the left or right side of the screen

shinra said:
I noticed the stereo sound is reversed, you can check it in soldier blade, change speeds on the left or right side of the screen
I wonder if this means it's reversed on GP2X SDL vs PC SDL.

Hi,

I have just tried the 0.56, Super Star Soldier Work back (many thx!!)

Great Release concerning the sound but, SF2' still freezing the emu and Whereas it worked on Beta 0.5 Soldier Blade (or Super Star Soldier i don't remember) crash on 0.55

SF2' never worked and it probably never will, you're imagining things.

I was talking about SSS and not sf2. (sorry for my english) ;)

And i'm not imaging you are working for me, i'm very grateful of all what you have already done, but i just
feed back a noticed bug. ;)

Then I guess you already now it, but in Ninja Spirit not all the screen is showing.

Many thx for your work

And I already said it but Temper is at last for me the real successor (and even better) og Gp32 Gpengine.

Bye

Herc. :ph34r:

hercule18 said:
Then I guess you already now it, but in Ninja Spirit not all the screen is showing.
Ninja Spirit is one of those high res games along side Sidearms, R-Type, Mr Heli, Hero Tonma... there are probably others. All the Irem ports I believe used this 352x224 mode (or whatever it was).

I've also found that 1943 has an option to use this mode to create a thinner aspect ratio on the real PC-Engine hardware.

I assume Exophase will put a scaling option in at some stage to accommodate this?

Any details or ideas on how CD support will be added? ISO? CSO? or perhaps rips with MP3 for audio tracks?
I'm curious because I have about 60 real PC Engine CDs ready for ripping.

slaanesh said:
hercule18 said:
Any details or ideas on how CD support will be added? ISO? CSO? or perhaps rips with MP3 for audio tracks?
I'm curious because I have about 60 real PC Engine CDs ready for ripping.

Yeah I was wondering this as well. The whole TOC file/Iso/MP3 part I don't like. It's a major pain from what I've seen on the psp emus that use this. There's either lagging in the mp3 decoder they use or the tracks get out of order. Even if the Toc file and the mp3's are correct. I'm not sure how you'd be able to do it with just one big iso, bin, cue, cso or whatever. Does it have to be the toc/iso/mp3 format, or can it be just one big cd image file? Thanks again for this update! This version seems a lot better. I don't get as many black screens as I do with the first 0.5 release. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Back