MicroMart - Battle of the Handhelds

mattman

Still Fresh
  • PS Vita Vs Open Pandora

Was just reading an Article in [issue 1197] [23-29 February 2012] of Micro Mart [Page 68] Written by [David Hayward]

its soul purpose is to compare the Pandora and the Vita and it does it well.

ill just copy the first and finale paragraph.

First Paragraph

Of the many handheld devices that are being released this year, two have caught our eye. The open pandora project and the sony vita. Very Chalk and cheese but also the same in some respects. both have been released at the same time to an over eager public who liuke nothing better than to get there grubby mitts on the latest pocket-sized multimedia devices.......

finale paragraph

.....all we can do is support open projects like this in the hope that they one day manage to beat the corporate giant. or should we simply sit and wait for the big companies to determine what we do and where to go next? We think not, because there will always be a short-sighted david. with a length of knicker elastic, ready to match the wits with the Goliaths of the industry and hurl a stone between the eyes of global commerce. bring it on we say, but next time, make sure you catch that blessed boat.

well I am in Ireland and i pick it up weekly in the local tesco.

also there's a subscription thingy www.dennismags.co.uk/micromart

although for me for some reason its cheaper for me to buy every week rather than subscription.

I just put in a randomly mashed code. It wasn't accepted of course, but it did take me through to a normal order page.

[edit] Heh, change country to AU and it's 51 issues for £340.00. Pass!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the heads up MattMan, just picked this up, makes for interesting reading.

Nice quote from the article :

'As far as a multifunctional handheld computer goes, the Pandora is superb'

Reading the article carefully makes me wonder whether micro mart got hold of an actual Pandora (or indeed a Vita) for the purpose of this comparison. There are no mentions about what the gaming controls feel like, how long the battery lasts, general build quality etc.

It's interesting to note that one of the things they seem to like most about the Pandora is that it's Linux based, which is seen as a positive differentiation from the Android running masses.

My guess is that Micro Mart would be highly amenable to running future articles about the Pandora, when ED gets round to sending out Pandoras for review from tech sites & magazines then I'd certainly include them on the list.

Back