Talk About GTA

I'm just passing on what other people told me about their farm owning relatives when I say I don't understand why guns are needed like you guys are ;p I agree guns aren't going to prevent a lot of things, but I can see how you'd want one if a large dangerous animal entered your property (the kind that can probably get over fences unless it's quite tall and sturdy). The crops protection part may not be as much of a real thing.

Does anyone think that outlawing Bomberman games and clones might have saved three lives in Boston this weekend?

D.

I'm just passing on what other people told me about their farm owning relatives when I say I don't understand why guns are needed like you guys are ;p I agree guns aren't going to prevent a lot of things, but I can see how you'd want one if a large dangerous animal entered your property (the kind that can probably get over fences unless it's quite tall and sturdy). The crops protection part may not be as much of a real thing.
In this country, gun-ownership is via a license and is restricted to hunting weapons only - and you're only allowed to fire them at a licensed firing range unless you have a license to hunt game.
The general consensus being that the only people who really should have any sort of firearm are farmers. Nobody else has any reason to own one - at all.

D.

Not even the people who enjoy a day at the range shooting holes in bits of paper?

Not even the people who enjoy a day at the range shooting holes in bits of paper?
I think the question there should be why they feel they need to fire high-powered rifles at anything, really - and although it's accepted as a sport of sorts, it is rigidly controlled so that sort of person doesn't go firing them off in their back-garden for example.
Archery seems to be much more socially acceptable here, though heavens knows why - bows are just as lethal as guns in the right hands.

D.

Only Valid reason I see is if you live in the great north like Rural Canada or Alaska dealing with Bears and such, Handguns often are not enough to stop them, you need something with a little more firepower. Also amazingly there are some people out in real rural areas that still need to hunt for food..

I used to be big into shooting when I turned 21 and could legally buy guns and used to go to the shooting range every week. It is fun to target practice, but I found little real use for them. I had a 9mm handgun and a semi-automatic shotgun, but I ended up selling them when I was 27 or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Archery seems to be much more socially acceptable here, though heavens knows why - bows are just as lethal as guns in the right hands.
You have a far lower shooting rate (1 arrow in 10 seconds is quite good), bows are obvious, if you carry one every sees it. It takes far more skill to to shoot a bow, a (normal) bow is far less lethal than a gun. So less people can shot slower and deal less damage with each shoot, have a far lower range, you can dodge an arrow at far distance and carrying and shooting a bow obvious. So a bow far less dangerous. I am talking about normal long bows not high tech composite bows. A good english long bow has a maximum distance around 500 meters (most likely less). A high tech bow around 1200 meters. A high tech bow used with your hands and foots to get more force: 1800 meters.

The speed of a hightech bow is 44 m/s, so you have 10 seconds to dodge in 500 meters. The speed of a hightech rifle is around 1200 m/s.

Can't tell about the others, but I never denied that guns have their uses in general - I have no problem with police officers, rangers maybe even some farmers (altough your "use case" sounds very odd) having guns as they are (to a certain extent) somewhat essential for their job. But no average Joe needs a gun.

archery  - fast shooting vid
Altough this can be as leathal as explosion proppeled projectiles, the "body count" still will be lower. The women in video stood still and was shooting at a non moving target, and had a rather large quiver that wasn't moving a lot to draw from.

I am impressed by the shooting skills of this women. Much better then people I know who do archery for sports in university. But it is still a lower fire rate then a gun.

I am impressed by the shooting skills of this women. Much better then people I know who do archery for sports in university. But it is still a lower fire rate then a gun.
not sure, lot of people's goal is precision, not speed... she looks really impressive but I haven't seen other archer trying to do that...

While marketing guns to kids is... disturbing... to say the least,  in a gun culture like they have in the states it doesn't really surprise me.  

When it comes right down to it though,  tragedies like this are clearly the fault of the parents.  The parents chose to let their 5 year old have a gun.  They also failed to supervise the use of that gun, and did not follow gun safety practices. 

According to the article the gun was left in a corner...  What the hell? Any time the parents were not instructing the child in the use of the gun or supervising them on occasions when child had a valid reason to be using it (eg while hunting or at a range) that gun should have been kept unloaded and it should have been kept locked up.

- Neelix

And in the vein of easy access to guns, 3D printers.

Previous 3D printed guns still required parts that needed to be purchased from a gun shop. They were regular parts that didn't need a license or anything like that, but it was still an extra step, a potential channel of tracking. This new design is 99.9% printed plastic, the only part they didn't print was the nail they are using for a firing pin. What are you going to do, start tracking everyone who buys a box of nails as potential terrorist?

edit: There was an update to the article with this interesting quote.

if criminals can print plastic firearms at home and bring those firearms through metal detectors with no one the wiser
Bullets still set off metal detectors, you twit. A plastic gun is worthless without something to fire.subedit: apparently I was mistaken. Bullets are made of copper and brass, no ferrous materials. Boo.

Oh yeah, and then there was this quote

You can print a lethal device
You could already print a lethal device. You can pick up a stick, sharpen it to a point, and THAT is a lethal device that will get through security. I actually have a set of wooden knives which are quite sharp: I use them to chop veggies. THIS is gun culture: it's not dangerous unless it's a firearm, take away your gun and you feel helpless. I assure you, people were dangerous long before we were able to fire bits of metal at hypersonic speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
A gun makes it easier to kill large numbers of people from a distance.

Handheld sharp pointy things force you to either outrun or ambush the victim.

Going to school and kill 20 or more people with a sharpened stick would be quite impressive. You have really bad luck if you meet the football team, or people are using tables / chairs to protect them. 3 people against one one is pretty hard to win.

Going to school with some guns and ammunition and shoot 20 people down is not so hard.

Going to school and kill 20 or more people with a sharpened stick would be quite impressive. You have really bad luck if you meet the football team, or people are using tables / chairs to protect them. 3 people against one one is pretty hard to win.

Going to school with some guns and ammunition and shoot 20 people down is not so hard.
It's good to see though that either way he won't let his school attendance suffer under his mental problems.

Back