Taking The Plunge...

Gruntfuggly

Mostly Harmless
Website
www.zaonce.com
Hello all - this is my first posting so please be gentle.

I've finally decided that a GP32 purchase needs to be done, but I have a few of questions.

1) What sort of percentage of GP32s are actually clockable up to 166Mhz?

2) Is the extra 25% speed really necessary? Does it make a huge difference?

3) Is there ever likely to be a BBC Micro emulator available? Is an emulator feasible?

Thanks in advance...

1) What sort of percentage of GP32s are actually clockable up to 166Mhz?

Most new GP32s are clockable up to 166MHz, and http://www.gbax.com even has "certified 166MHz GP32s".

2) Is the extra 25% speed really necessary? Does it make a huge difference?

Yes, when playing emulators that are really taxing the CPU like fGEN and OpenSNES9xGP. But for the smaller emulators like GPEngine, NES, and almost all games, a 166MHz clockable GP32 really isn't necessary.

3) Is there ever likely to be a BBC Micro emulator available? Is an emulator feasible?

If you can find open source code that could be ported, post it in the "Cool Ideas and Wishes" forum and maybe someone will take you up on the offer. Honestly, I don't remember the BBC Micro very well...was it a type of computer? If so, a virtual keyboard or the modded Ericcson Chatboard would be needed, which gets a little tricky.

Thanks for the info. I think I might take a chance and go for one of the Lik-Sang FLU's for 115 GBP.

I found an open source bbc emulator here:

http://www.modelb.bbcmicro.com/

Anyone got any ideas if a port is feasible?

You're right - it was a computer. It had some of the best arcade conversions I've ever seen. Acorn (who produced it) even had to change names, and alter the code because some of the games were too close to the arcade originals. It was also the first machine that Elite was written on.

I'll stick something on the "Cool Ideas and Wishes" forum...

if you live in the UK dont go for Lik Sang. you will be charged with a helluva hefty import tax (think it wasa near £30!) GBAX is the cheapest for us. apart from ebay of course

Personally, I'm like || this close to plunking down the cash for one.

Curious though, how many people have bought one from Lik-Sang since December that have the 166Mhz versions? (being in the U.S. it's looking like the cheaper choice but with out a garuntee like GBAX has I'm not sure.)

I'm also wondering, how many people have tried both versions and can feel the increase?

there is a fair increase in speed - for Snes and Genesis emulation it's the only way to get good speeds with sound with some games. Plus, you can up the framerate in GPCinema...

Welp I ordered it... unfortuntaly I didnt buy the garunteed 166mhz version from GBAX because it would have been close to 300 dollars after shipping and exchange rate calculation, So now I have to sit back and hope the one I get is one of the stronger ones.

BTW is there a specific way to find out your max Mhz?

Back