Tablet Gamepad?

Garrett

Advanced Member
Can anyone recommend a good one? the only one I can find is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/iPega-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-IP117/dp/B00MUG3JPU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1428405467&sr=8-10&keywords=tablet+controller but it's been suggested that the build quality is not that great.

I know they only usally work with certain games & the pad's particularly the PS3 are a better solution, but I'd be using it primarily for emulation & I like the idea of it being a whole unit and able to be used in portrait mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! Just got mine today and i'm surprised about the quality. The look and feel is excellent. All controls feel great like on a good medium priced controller. Can just recommend it. :) will play around a little, need to find a good keymapper

I've used an iPega controller (not this one) with my Nexus 4 and the input lag was terrible. I've read comments claiming the same for this one with a variety of devices. I'd be hesitant to buy one until I can confirm that it doesn't have this problem, maybe see if someone can test it with a Windows laptop with bluetooth as a reasonable proxy for your device.

I've used an iPega controller (not this one) with my Nexus 4 and the input lag was terrible. I've read comments claiming the same for this one with a variety of devices. I'd be hesitant to buy one until I can confirm that it doesn't have this problem, maybe see if someone can test it with a Windows laptop with bluetooth as a reasonable proxy for your device.
Using some emulators I can find only a very small lag. but it's almost not noticeable on mine.

^ hardly noticeable = obnoxiously unacceptable to people on here

I fall into this category of people as well though. It's the same with any kinda audio/video sync delay in the 10's of milliseconds range.

It's funny, growing up with a pc with a no shit 5-10 min boot process, and 10-15fps in my retro emulators, and 30min to download a 5mb file it's funny how my standards have changed on what I will tolerate.

Yeah I bought an iPega one for my phone a while back and it was near impossible to get through any game that required reaction time.

I fall into this category of people as well though. It's the same with any kinda audio/video sync delay in the 10's of milliseconds range.

It's funny, growing up with a pc with a no shit 5-10 min boot process, and 10-15fps in my retro emulators, and 30min to download a 5mb file it's funny how my standards have changed on what I will tolerate.
Low fps has about nothing to do with input lag

Low fps has about nothing to do with input lag
bolded as you seem to have missed the point I was making

it's all about what we find acceptable, the thing it does share in common is how we will bend our own standards, as long as there is no other better option. Not specifically with how the 2 technologies interact with each other. But rather the their effect it has on end user experience and how our tolerance changes over time. I thought that was clear.

*intentionally irrational argument to reiterate my point*

--------------------------------------------------------------------

lets say you could play a dreamcast emulator on the pandora at I don't know, 10-15 fps, It's borderline playable, but by no means ideal. Then fast forward, you get a pyra and it can play the same emulator and it runs it at 40-45 fps, extremely playable, but not perfect. Fast forward even more, an upgrade comes out and you get a solid 60+fps in every game on the same emulator.

now questions....

Do you focus on the actual experience, or the experience compared to other options?

Does having better options disqualify, or lessen the experience of previous options back when no options existed?

Does having the best option available lessen your tolerance for lesser experiences on other options?

Now literally replace fps with input lag of whatever value in the example were more is less. Do your answers change.

Now change input lag with any metric such as bootup time, screen resolution, processor speed, storage space, emulator accuracy... anything.... same answers?

I think the asnwer is yes on that last one, because the metric doesn't matter when it comes to perception, only how that metric compares to others when comparing "reasonably capable" options.

that's the point.

But I don't hink this analogy is adequate. Input lag is a rather recent phenomenon that (mostly) didn't exist when games were directly accessing hardware that was directly wired to some I/O pins. Expecting similar or better response even with inherently high latency abstraction layers (e.g. a packet oriented network protocol) between display and controller is a pretty strong requirement (and the better solutions out there already seem quite close to what is physically possible).

I won't argue it's a strong requirement for some, myself included. I don't use bluetooth controllers or keyboards for this very reason. One of the main selling points on devices like the pandora with dedicated controllers vs one that can have one connected wirelessly.

the analogy is for the concept. But also as you stated, forward moving in generations doesn't have to mean forward progressing in all areas of technology. Introducing latency with a newer technology, but still allows for the same comparison.

The difference is only the tip of the hat belongs to the older generation. In addition, in our specific niche, comparing the system being emulated which is also older than the system being used to emulate it. How closely do they match up, which are acceptable tolerances away from the original system.

lets say you could play a dreamcast emulator on the pandora at I don't know, 10-15 fps, It's borderline playable, but by no means ideal. Then fast forward, you get a pyra and it can play the same emulator and it runs it at 40-45 fps, extremely playable, but not perfect. Fast forward even more, an upgrade comes out and you get a solid 60+fps in every game on the same emulator.
That's an interesting perspective.

For me personally, even back when I first started using emulators in the mid-90s I wouldn't bother if I couldn't emulate the system in real time. Maybe with some frameskip, but slowdowns in gameplay and music completely ruined the experience for me. The only exception I've ever made to this is with the old versions of Dolphin where the HLE audio emulation was so decoupled from the rest of the system emulation that music would be play at full speed regardless of how everything else was running. And even then I'd only tolerate some very limited and isolated areas of slowdown, with the vast majority of the gameplay still being the right speed.

I don't think I ever would have tolerated an awful lot of input lag either, but at least in this case it'd vary somewhat depending on the game. There were some games I netplayed over dialup with latency over 100s of ms that weren't too bad (like the Super Bomberman series)

That's an interesting perspective.

For me personally, even back when I first started using emulators in the mid-90s I wouldn't bother if I couldn't emulate the system in real time. Maybe with some frameskip, but slowdowns in gameplay and music completely ruined the experience for me. The only exception I've ever made to this is with the old versions of Dolphin where the HLE audio emulation was so decoupled from the rest of the system emulation that music would be play at full speed regardless of how everything else was running. And even then I'd only tolerate some very limited and isolated areas of slowdown, with the vast majority of the gameplay still being the right speed.

I don't think I ever would have tolerated an awful lot of input lag either, but at least in this case it'd vary somewhat depending on the game. There were some games I netplayed over dialup with latency over 100s of ms that weren't too bad (like the Super Bomberman series)
Yea, see mine is more along the lines of directive0's above, it's more about "see what I can do" than matching the experience to the original. Frameskips and disabled audio were frequent just to see what was possible.

The chase began for me, of improving the experience as technology increased. And eventually turned into what can be done with less (pc to mobile), then what can do the most with less the most accurate. The search for "good enough" I found was met a while ago for lots of systems even on mobile, and now has turned into which newer systems can be done as a "because it can" rather than having fond memories of playing those system's games. For me, that chase stopped with SNES, and that was accomplished well beyond "mostly accurate to the original" several years ago.

But the chase in me never has subsided for the older systems that are good enough, and now nitpicks the smallest of things for some unknown reason. I recognize it, as silly as it might be.

My tolerance for 8-16 bit errors is high, but I cannot abide 3d game errors like obvious z-fighting, texture errors, audio glitches and stuttering. I have to draw the line somewhere.

I won't play Mario 64 if Mario doesn't have his shadow. A man's gotta have standards.

Hi! Just got mine today and i'm surprised about the quality. The look and feel is excellent. All controls feel great like on a good medium priced controller. Can just recommend it. :) will play around a little, need to find a good keymapper
Have you or anyone else found a good keymapper that doesn't need Google's Play Store?

I want to get such a tablet controller for a while, but I sold my BT keyboard, because I didn't find any software outside of GP to change the language layout to the one that was actually written on the keys (German) and don't want something like this to happen again.

Back