Symbian Going Open Source

benjymous

Website
grapefruitopia.com
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/02/symbian-operating-system-now-open-source-and-free/

Is there anything useful in there that we'd be able to reuse?

Anyone know how much of the old EPOC apps still exist in symbian? I'd like a new version of the old Psion PIM software :)

Symbian is one of those things -- they may be going open source, but no one wants to look at it. Some Funk never goes away :)

jeff

Laurencevde said:
hehe. Symbian became open-source as of today: http://developer.symbian.org/main/source/index.php

-that's what he said- :ph34r:

edit: sorry, I could not help myself. Your link is helpful

Last edited by a moderator:
borgqueenx said:
We can play the games and use the apps of it???
The OS is now open, not the 3rd-party applications.
Unless someone wanted to waste time making a WINE-like layer for Symbian on the Pandora.
Or unless Symbian is similar enough to not need one.
I'm really tired.

Symbian is pretty cool for a once proprietary OS. It has been able to do a lot of sophisticated things that other smartphone OS' haven't been able to in the past. It's not ideal, I'd rather Maemo. Its maturity has helped it with regards to stability, power management etc.

Symbian has a lot of applications available for it as well.

Nothing we'd really want to take from it though, different device category.

The Symbian kernel is much less horrible than it is usually made out to be. It also has a good telephony stack.

However, besides backwards compatibility I doubt it will be useful for much at all.

Bigun said:
You have no idea the look I had on my face until I saw the Symbian OS part. I was looking for something saying NSFW.

No, no, Symbian, not Sybian...

atari_eric said:
Bigun said:
You have no idea the look I had on my face until I saw the Symbian OS part. I was looking for something saying NSFW.

No, no, Symbian, not Sybian...

Ahahahahaahaha! damn, and I was hoping video reviews would be linked

Back