Suggestions for pissed off ebay loser?

TylerAW

I was just about to win an auction for a 1ghz Open Pandora unit that only had one thing wrong with it (a broken right trigger), it literally had seconds left and I kept refreshing it to make sure and after it finished it said I had been out bid (how?! It was like someone had programmed eBay to out bid me after it ended, how is that fair?!) I don't understand eBay anymore I guess...

Does anyone here have any suggestions for me? I wanted a 1ghz unit because everyone on this board keeps panning the older classic models which I guess I can still buy up on Dragon's site when they are in stock... but I don't want a model that fails to do common tasks (at least that's what many users make out the classic model to be).

I wanted one to basically emulate SNES and Sega Genesis games mainly (I really don't care about N64, sorry!) But I also wanted to do web browsing and to write my stories in a word processor like environment (I loved its keyboard when I did own one but that was so long ago I barely had time to test it).

So my only option at this time is to order a Classic Edition (by the way, if I order one with zero in stock, am I guaranteed to eventually get one?) I guess I just have anxiety about buying an 'inferior' model, at least everyone keeps telling me they are that way...

For your needs I really don't see much of a compelling reason to get the 1GHz model. Rebirth model may be more useful than a classic one since the extra memory will impede you less with web browsing.

As with any auction, bid what you are willing to pay.

Trying to get an item as cheap as possible (e.g. 1p more than someone else has bid) does mean you can lose out.

I have a classic. Browsing can be a bit painful sometimes, yes. But playing every emulator up to PSX works perfectly. Writing text ofc is fine, too. In case you find yourself in need of more power there's still the option to upgrade to geegahurtz.

@ebay: There's those "sniper" tools, right?

My introduction to "sniping" was in highschool, back around 1998/9. I actually had someone email me after an auction ended (this being years before eBay's privacy policy of hiding other bidders) to complain that I had bid too high, and that they had had to bid more than they wanted to in order to beat me.

Bid what you're willing to pay for it. If people are willing to go over your bid then that's their fault. I apply this to live auctions as well: I've taken a little bit of schadenfreude in getting ridiculously outbid at times knowing that they paid more than the item was actually worth. Yeah, you're going to get sniped, but even if you'd bid lower you'd've been sniped. You weren't going to win so take solace in the fact that you made someone else waste more money.

I have a classic. Browsing can be a bit painful sometimes, yes. But playing every emulator up to PSX works perfectly. Writing text ofc is fine, too. In case you find yourself in need of more power there's still the option to upgrade to geegahurtz.

@ebay: There's those "sniper" tools, right?
I had forgotten about the sniper tools and it is a shame you can't complain about them to eBay. Also I had forgottne about upgrades, not so bad to get an extra 256 MB of ram once I save up enough.. so maybe this wont be so bad. But the shipping would suck huh? I live in California lol.

And yes, their are sniping apps that will wait until the last second or two and them hammer the auction (ie: it gets funny when you have 2 or 5 or more snipers whacking away at the same auction :) -- its a very annoying problem, but its not every auction that does it, just the ones you really want bad :p

So yeah, you have to bid a bit honest .. you can't just bit $10 for a $200 item and coast until the end, since someone will snipe you.

jeff

Don't trust the refresh button of the browser.  I always use Ebay "Increase Max Bid" feature so it will automatically bid up for you until it reaches the Max Bid you put in.  That way you don't have to sit there for hours to monitor who's outwitting you :)  Like others said, you put in the max bid that you feel comfortable at spending.  Then go to bed and let ebay handles the bidding for you.  Somebody gotta lose and someboy gotta win so don't get upset bro :)

For browsing you can use a swap file. Browsing on my rebirth unit is quite fine, most sites are ok, some are a bit slow (to much java script stuff). Maybe link who lives in Canada has a CC left? ithic.com is his shop site, he is official pandora distributor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

My 1Ghz Pandora is still for sale if your interested?

See my advert in the classifieds

Back