Release Sugar?

Looks like you should be able to run it just from ubuntu. Just load it as a session on that. if it's buggy then I think it would only need a little bit of work to get it really working.

player4 said:
Looks like you should be able to run it just from ubuntu. Just load it as a session on that. if it's buggy then I think it would only need a little bit of work to get it really working.

Ok ... I probably should have added "... Without installing a whole new operating system.".
When dealing with PC software that's usually a given. It's a bit worrying that I need to spell that out when dealing with the Pandora.

But seriously, I was more asking about if anyone had experience using it, and if there were any technical requirements I wasn't aware of that would kill it.

There is certainly no technical reason you couldn't use it, but there is no logical reason why you should, either.

The Sugar UI is generally considered to be the OLPC's biggest failing. It is basically different merely for the sake of being different, and is no more efficient or intuitive than any other simplified UI. The interface is extremely limited, as it is designed to be used by children on a device with a very limited feature set. Anybody who wants to port it to the Pandora is more than welcome to do so. Just don't expect it to be made the default UI.

Chip said:
Just don't [...] expect it to be made the default UI.
Oh, of course.

I absolutely wasn't suggesting that at all.

Angstrom has some quirks that can make putting new interfaces on it interesting. I know from experience that, with any standard Angstrom image, you really CAN'T put new interfaces on. You have to go and build a custom X11 image to do so (this was in my experience a while back, FWIW. I think even the "minimal X11" images had GPE that messed it up).

Another issue with Sugar is that (unless I'm mistaking with a different GUI) it uses Python, which eats CPU cycles like candy.

If you want a simple GUI, go EvilWM*!

http://www.6809.org.uk/evilwm/ (some code changes required for optimum usability)

Back