Dm-crypt Gui For Pandora?

fatalerror said:
Is it possible for somebody to make an easy GUI for this in the Pandora-Menu (at release)?

Adding support for this is certainly possible, but I would not expect it at release. There are only so many devs with Pandora hardware, and there is a lot more to be done before release that takes priority.

Once the first batch is in the wild, somebody is bound to work up an encryption system for those so inclined. There are enough security-minded folks here that it is practically a given.

Last edited by a moderator:
<geeky> A GUI? Who'd want a GUI? :p </geeky>

Until someone releases a firmware which supports encryption, if the default kernel doesn't include dm-crypt support, you'll have to (reconfigure and) recompile it anyway, and I trust you'll be able to figure out dm-crypt without a GUI but with a little bit of googling if you got this far.

Why bother with gui? There's a very nice command-line interface. The only concern I have is that devs may cut out some features from the 2.6.26 kernel to make it smaller/faster. If to enable dm-crypt with XTS you'll have to build your own kernel then security will be a pain in the ass. If I get it correctly building a custom kernel is not easy since there are binary blobs (wi-fi and video drivers) that are not open source.
EDIT: @MilanC you've beaten me to it! :)

I'm with the rest of the crowd- a GUI is meaningless when you're perfectly capable of doing it in the CLI. If you want a GUI, write one in Python.

_VWV_ said:
Why bother with gui? There's a very nice command-line interface. The only concern I have is that devs may cut out some features from the 2.6.26 kernel to make it smaller/faster. If to enable dm-crypt with XTS you'll have to build your own kernel then security will be a pain in the ass. If I get it correctly building a custom kernel is not easy since there are binary blobs (wi-fi and video drivers) that are not open source.
EDIT: @MilanC you've beaten me to it! :)
that means no wifi cracking....

_VWV_ said:
have to build your own kernel then security will be a pain in the ass. If I get it correctly building a custom kernel is not easy since there are binary blobs (wi-fi and video drivers) that are not open source.
All kernel modules will be open source, so building a custom kernel should be as easy as on x86.

Just don't delete the binary blobs that some of those kernel modules will depend on, and you'll be fine.

Back