Stylus and touchscreen to emulate Mouse

stupot

Still Fresh
Please PLEASE dont do this its an awful solution in my opinion, control the mouse with the analog stick.

Controlling a pointer on screen with a stylus would be a nightmare, imagine playing say cannon fodder with that system, your hand would hide half the screen.

If your using it to select text again you cant see through your hand etc

Also teh pandora screen is not in a position to use a stylus on imagine holding the bottom section in just your left hand and the pushing on to the screen to move the cursor, the screen will move back it will all feel 'loose'.

The screen should be used for finger pressing on apps or buttons only (except for a drawing program etc obviously)

i wouldnt worry about that kind of thing ,im sure there will be the option for
both control systems.

paddy said:
both control systems.

I hope so but I just hope people who design apps etc dont rely on using stylus as the main control method, Its like openimng a diary and putting the bac cover flat on a desk and the holding the front cover and first few pages up at 90 degrees and then trying to write on the pages, the DS works perfect imagine if the screens were swapped.

stupot said:
paddy said:
both control systems.

I hope so but I just hope people who design apps etc dont rely on using stylus as the main control method, Its like openimng a diary and putting the bac cover flat on a desk and the holding the front cover and first few pages up at 90 degrees and then trying to write on the pages, the DS works perfect imagine if the screens were swapped.
My god.... the horror....... :|

There's really no good alternative to a mouse. With a touchscreen you have precision issues and the stylus gets in the way. Not to mention it's hard to hold the Pandora and operate controls with one hand while holding a stylus in the other. Moving a pointer with an analog joystick is always a pain.

The Pandora is a USB host and has bluetooth. Use a real mouse!

Considering that both keyboard layout possibilities have the left analog stick as the "mouse scroll" http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43762 I'm pretty sure the mouse will be controlled that way by default. But remember that the whole idea behind the pandora is for it to be "open" aka customizable, so you will be able to do pretty much whatever you want.... well, within reason...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryzure said:
stupot said:
paddy said:
both control systems.

My god.... the horror....... :|

Thanks for your response it added real value and in no way made you appear to be a douche.

Well I don't know about the OP but when I play a mouse intensive game on my PSP for a few hours I usually wind up in some form of pain that usually carries through to the next day. Stylus mouse control is - for me - a few thousand percent more comfortable than fighting the analog/digital controls for where my mouse pointer winds up.

MonkeyChops said:
Considering that both keyboard layout possibilities have the left analog stick as the "mouse scroll" http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43762 I'm pretty sure the mouse will be controlled that way by default. But remember that the whole idea behind the pandora is for it to be "open" aka customizable, so you will be able to do pretty much whatever you want.... well, within reason...

I hope your right, I just see a lot of "wow this will be great with a stylus" age of empires is one mentioned and I hope anyone who makes their own game allow that left stick as mouse to be an option.

Edit, Eniko I see what you mean but for me whilst it will work for some games the design means that rather than using the stylus flat im writing on a screen facing me that if I push on will fall over backwards unless im holding it down with my left hand,

I certainly dont want them to ONLY have stick support for mouse but also hope we dont ONLY have have stylus support for mouse.

What would have been real interesting would be a IBM style nipple! I'd of liked that on the bottom right corner.

Oh and someone else mentioned it and I think they are right I will be looking for a nice bluetooth mouse to use for mouse intensive games.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're not mutually exclusive; why woudl you think if someone adds a touchscreen congtrol that they would not also add another control, or god forbid make it configurable.

Your'e also horribly horribly wrong; touchscreen controls can be truly amazing for mouse. wtd are you thinking :) Some of us have done this before :)

jeff

skeezix said:
They're not mutually exclusive; why woudl you think if someone adds a touchscreen congtrol that they would not also add another control, or god forbid make it configurable.

Your'e also horribly horribly wrong; touchscreen controls can be truly amazing for mouse. wtd are you thinking :) Some of us have done this before :)

jeff

Never said they were however someone could easily decide when creating something "hey the stylus will work so no need to optomise or really work on getting the stick mouse control working that well as everyone will use stylus."

Im not horribly wrong as I never said touchscreens cpouldnt be truly amazing for mice!

What am i thinking? Im thinking i have used multiple touchscreen devices and the stylus isnt always the best option for mouse control just because its there.

Back