Stripped down Pandora "light"?

xyta

What would you think about that idea?

For example, OP could leave out the Wifi/Bluetooth chip and the corresponding antenna parts. Additionally it might be possible to replace the Touchscreen by a compatible screen without touch capability. And perhaps theres a possibility to cut out the EXT connector and one of the SD slots, and covering these case openings by internal shields...

The aim is to be able to offer a kind of cost reduced "Pandora light" for people which do not need the full feature set.

Adding to what Blue Protoman said, my uneducated guess believes that it also wouldn't be that much cheaper. I've no doubt that a lot of the price is attributed to just getting it manufactured properly. Very likely since it's a limited production run product the individual cost of each unit is high. If Pandoras were produced in the tens of thousands or more, no doubt the price would drop to something more affordable.

Well it cost money to buy the LCD screens without touch screens.. and there is enough Touchscreen LCD screens already purchased to cover Batch 1 and 2 from what I'm told..Also these touch screen LCD screens are most likely not too much more expensive than the non-touch versions.. Also my guess is that no one would want the lite version of the pandora to have cases with gaping holes where sockets should be, so they would need to order cases without a SD slot and EXT connector. So my guess the SD and EXT connectors at most cost less than $4 combined.. is saving $4 dollars per unit worth spending $1000's of dollars for new cases and LCD screens?

I agree with what was said earlier... If they had the capability to mass produce these, yeah this would be a viable option.. but with that said if it could be mass produced that in it self would lower the price without having to strip features.

Last edited by a moderator:
my outsider thoughts are that if there were so many unforeseeable hold ups and issues with getting pandora full up and running there is a very little chance this would be easy or simple to do. I work in electronics and by no means do i know it all or want to come across like a know it all but the amount of testing that goes into swapping one for one, even the simplest components (inductors, capacitors ect) takes many tests and measurements. It is unfortunate how little standardization is actually in the industry when you get to complicated components. Swapping screens might sound pretty simple but it in reality is probably not. I would suggest for the foreseeable future if you or anyone is looking for a less then optimal Pandora on the cheap hang around the forums for a while people put them on sale every once in a while where the WI-FI is out or something like that. I think it will be a while before there is an option for a second model of Pandora because it really is a lot of work to take things out and test and make sure everything else still works as it should. In addition to any contract obligations with manufactures that must be purchased before they can move on.

Not a bad idea but probably not practical for this size operation, but again I don't know for sure and am not the final word on any of this because I don't work for or make the device.

You'd still have to spend a ton of money redesigning the board and the case. Or possibly the screen, if you're gonna remove half the case.

Adding variations to the production process is probably the last thing needed right now. I could only see such changes adding further complexy/increased cost, fair idea though.

lol, as soon as I clicked on that link I was pleasantly surprised.

beagleboard_bday_header3.gif

That is not good idea losing features and keyboard at end of the day it was minipc/games console in one,doing that pandora won't be good purchase and there will be no difference with other consoles,it will look the same and useless and i doubt it will sell well then caanoo maybe have chance to compete at the moment it doesn't.

The whole idea was a portable mini pc in a pocket,this topic is very silly indeed can't believe you guys are trying to kill originality of the pandora,i don't want to see this in pandora 2.

If a person can't afford it,don't buy it,just buy 3ds which is only £189.99 or less from online stores,which is very affordable for 3d gaming console,if it's not same league as pandora being more like a laptop than an normal games console,oh boy laptop in your pocket,how cool is that.

In my opnion pandora is one of the best invention of any portable games console with keyboard.

At the start they should have been 2 consoles one with keyboard and the other with no keyboard,no touch screen with bluetooth and 3.5 screen size,less cpu 400mhz and clock to 850mhz inc. which could have made it affordable console,but bearing in mind this should be just games console only.

A redesign of a awesome device to cripple it up which costs more money than its worth?

No thanks. :D

That's the only way to get cheaper pandora console or if that's going to cost more money then caanoo will be good choice,this system isn't to bad most majority emu's are same as pandora.

Except pandora has saturn and n64,if you don't play with these systems,caanoo is an excellent choice and is very cheap only £79.99 that is cheap for a new console.

Why are you bother with the costs you aren't going to pay for it,if openpandora has money they can invest into making a new games console.

I'm just stating my oppinion that is all.

OpenPandora went through a long development time as is already... and now that they finally have a good concept that works great (love my unit) people want it to get redesigned again?

Just makes no sense to me, especially when you consider how much the enduser might be able to save... give it an estimate... what? 100 bucks?

It will still be 400 bucks then. For those that want it the difference will be minimal...

It's like looking at those weird Kindle Bookreaders Amazon is selling... Oh yes, there is a 3g-less version for what... oh yes 30 bucks less. xD

I just think the money people would be able to save by crippling it wouldn't be worth it...

Besides there really isn't too much you could cut... touchscreen and bluetooth maybe... cause if you were to remove something critical like the Keyboard then honestly this wouldn't be a Pandora anymore at all...

Back