Streetfighter 3 On Gp2x

Draken posted on Oct 26 2006 at 12:21 PM said:
Awesome! :D

Speaking of which, did you manage to enter the official gp2x contest? (guess you entered with an unfinished Salvaria?)

Pretty much I didn't have it completely finished but I entered it anyway. I just didn't relize what an under taking it was making an RPG by yourself could be. It is very time consuming and takes a lot of effort to do everything coding,graphics,sound,story etc... but I am sticking withit and hopefully everyone will get to enjoy the full version soon.

I am going to try a racing game next after SFM and Salvaria are finished.

manhill posted on Oct 26 2006 at 02:36 PM said:
great! does this mean, i could use pictures of myself to create a character that looks like me ?!?!?!

Yes when I release the DevKit you can make what ever you like and it will be super easy to do just follow the on screen commands and it will tell you everything to do just enter in your choices. That is just what will take me some time making it so anyone with no coding at all can just click the basic commands and the program will generate everything for you then just drop it you game folder and play. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This is to good to be true! the first thing i ask in this forum after buying a gp2x was is porting mugen on the gp2x possible. OpenMugen is dead and it tooks to much ram, i think it needed 256 to work! Make a demo and if it work i donate for sure! The mugen engin wasn't perfect put when the characters were properly done it was great! The SVC ULTIMATE 2006 by Roberto bernardo was great! Even the guilty gear characters were acurate, and evil ryu and eviKen by Reu, Tenshin, KingTigre and The Dreamslayer http://www.reubenkee.com is so fun to play with and against! Don't worry about mugen compatibility, there mugen character extract if you can't find it pm me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYiyMuywNqA...ted&search=

evil ryu's charging hadouken is great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anXUpQiKCq8...ted&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zidbgMA4CJk

manhill posted on Oct 26 2006 at 06:36 PM said:
great! does this mean, i could use pictures of myself to create a character that looks like me ?!?!?!
yes there was openkombat on mugen, it was a mortal kombat clone with normal people who scan then self!

I am a big fan of the capcom and marvel vs series, will you include the ability to add super jumps, stages with high vertical scrolling (for super jumping) super specials (tag team specials) maybe?

wipeout2000 posted on Oct 26 2006 at 08:00 PM said:
I am a big fan of the capcom and marvel vs series, will you include the ability to add super jumps, stages with high vertical scrolling (for super jumping) super specials (tag team specials) maybe?

After I get the basics down I will add things like that one by one. I will make it so that each new item is appended on the end of the characters creation file so if the game engine read in a character and finds no data it will just read false for these ablilitys this will make all characters compatible with all the updates I make in the future that way if you create a character you can just reload it in the editor and add the extra ablitys to character as they become avalible without having to redo everything over and over again.

Ooh, nice work. If this is open source, it's just the sort of thing I would LOVE to screw around with, not to mention play. Seriously, keep up the good work. This is one of the nicest looking projects I've seen so far. :)

GP2X_Future_Coder posted on Oct 25 2006 at 09:48 PM said:
Shikaku posted on Oct 25 2006 at 03:41 PM said:
Just a quick question, this will be open source right? I want to make a new and very different game involving sprite loading like yours...

In any case, good luck on your project.

I will try and release the source if I can the core engine is part of a commercial program that I will be releasing to let you make any type of game for the gp2x without having to do any type of coding. So I don't know how I will do that yet because the source would have my program decryption files in it and that is how I protect my commercial apps. I just wanted to make something free and fun for everyone to play with :D
Please, note that commercial software is not incompatible with open sourcing...

If you release your game/engine under the GPL, anybody can modify it and redistribute his/her modification, but obligatory under the GPL. This means that, legally, one can't steal your code (and artwork).
On the other hand, as your are the copyright holder on your source code, you don't have to obey the licence, and can re-use your code in any way you want, even for closed source. Later, if somebody contribute with code, you just have to get his/her authorization to use his/her code in your closed source game.

The main drawback is that it's easier for bad people to use your work and violate the GPL, but they can still steal (part of) your work even without the source code, For instance, if you engine/runtime is free, it's easy for bad people to create new content, package it with your runtime and sell this package as a new game without due credit (and money sharing). In this case, it is probably not easier to protect your right on a closed source engine than with open source engine. The main advantage of open sourcing, it's easier for nice people to help you (and others) to get a better game/engine. Unless you plan to sell your engine/runtime to game developers.

Ranma13 posted on Oct 25 2006 at 09:15 PM said:
This is not anything against this project, but personally I feel like Mugen is a huge disgrace against the fighting game community. Combining different fighting systems into one game and attempting to make it all work together is simply not possible without losing a lot of the nuances of the individual systems that make each one unique. To the average player who likes to press a few buttons and watch his character unleash a flurry of moves, Mugen seems like an awesome engine, but to those of us who count frames and really try to learn the ins and outs, Mugen simply doesn't cut it.

I can only hope that this project will try to preserve the nuances of SF3.
Seconded.

@faugh: King of Fighters isn't a mishmash in the same vein of MUGEN, since the characters were all adapted for the same engine from the start.

AdamK posted on Oct 27 2006 at 08:36 PM said:
Ranma13 posted on Oct 25 2006 at 09:15 PM said:
This is not anything against this project, but personally I feel like Mugen is a huge disgrace against the fighting game community. Combining different fighting systems into one game and attempting to make it all work together is simply not possible without losing a lot of the nuances of the individual systems that make each one unique. To the average player who likes to press a few buttons and watch his character unleash a flurry of moves, Mugen seems like an awesome engine, but to those of us who count frames and really try to learn the ins and outs, Mugen simply doesn't cut it.

I can only hope that this project will try to preserve the nuances of SF3.
Seconded.

@faugh: King of Fighters isn't a mishmash in the same vein of MUGEN, since the characters were all adapted for the same engine from the start.

I guess I understand the way you guys feel since I really like well polished fighting games, but I feel that the real beauty lies in the way the user manipulates the engine. You can make a game with all capcom characters, all snk characters, or any kind of combination that you like. It doesn't have to be a crazy mismatch. If you're creative enough, you can edit characters so that they take the best aspects of each game (eg. snk vs. capcom). As far as smoothness goes, you can also control that as a user. If you don't want to create your own characters and stages, then you can't really complain. I feel that its better to give the user liberty to make the character as he likes instead of limiting to fit under one standard. This is one of the best ideas for those of us who will never get to play our favorite fighting games on gp2x, and thats why I am all for it.

Looks like MUGEN. If you can make it customizable just like MUGEN, I will praise you for your excellent work. Well if not, I will still praise you for the awesomeness of this program. Best of luck with the project.

Great news everyone I was able to stream the graphic data from the sd card so what does this mean? Well it now means that memory size is Irrelevant!!!! The graphic data for Ryu from street fighter 3 comes to a total of 36.8mb of data alone which would make it impossible to use in a program there would be no room for sound fx, music, or another character but thanks to my graphic streaming I only need a total of 50kb of memory to make Ryu stream on the GP2X so to have 2 characters on the screen the total memory usage is only about 100kb thats it no more restrictions due to memory size. But what is the draw back you ask to this task? It is very cpu intensive to do this but I am still able to reach 68fps with two characters streamed on the screen and also with Transparencies enabled. So that mean that 2 on 2 battles will be possible with no problem. :) This project will be pushed back a little to about the end of December because I am currently finishing up a game for the comunity contest then it will be straight work on SFM so everyone can enjoy it.

sf3gp2x_2.jpg

With upto 4 on screen characters

sf3gp2x_3.jpg

With Transparencies!

Thanks for new screenie!!!

I love street fighter games...portable sf2 was 1 of the main reasons I got a gp2x.

Any idea how big the download will be with all initial characters etc?

How close is it to the real sf3? Whats in and whats not?

Thanx

Thanks for new screenie!!!

I love street fighter games...portable sf2 was 1 of the main reasons I got a gp2x.

Any idea how big the download will be with all initial characters etc?

How close is it to the real sf3? Whats in and whats not?

Thanx

Well with compression I can get the 36.8mb ryu file down to about 1.52mb
So less than 2mb per character.

Back