Streammygame Or Something Like That For Pandora ?

Me.... I'll wait for the miraculous OnLive. (seriously I believe in it ;) )

fischju2000 said:
He could use Dolphin and emulate GC games, many of which play perfectly, and do a custom control map. Or he could also hook his Gamecube up to a video capture card on his PC, open the stream in MPC or something, and stream that and use a wireless controller or something. The former would be much easier.

Streammygame isn't the same as regular VNC, it compresses the video server side and decompresses it client side, it uses more CPU power but the Pandora is only (relatively) 800x480. If there were a good port, I would use the service for some things.

Sounds very interesting, so with such a service one could play these games anywhere on a compatible 3g usb modem? Or would one be limited to their home or place of streaming?

HackModford said:
Me.... I'll wait for the miraculous OnLive. (seriously I believe in it ;) )

That's what I have been waiting for too.

Last edited by a moderator:
fearofshorts said:
From what I read in an article on one of the other threads, streammygame is actually a fake.
By doing the math, the writer showed us that for them to stream the quality of video they promised it would require (something like) an internet connection 10 times faster than any current technology and nearly millions of servers, many more than Google has.

You are thinking of OnLive. I use Streammygame on my local network, and it works absolutely flawlessly. If you use it on the internet, and both connection are high speed and solid, you can do pretty well.

I read that as "STEAMY my game"! Now I'll have to take a cold shower to cool off....

palmertech said:
fearofshorts said:
From what I read in an article on one of the other threads, streammygame is actually a fake.
By doing the math, the writer showed us that for them to stream the quality of video they promised it would require (something like) an internet connection 10 times faster than any current technology and nearly millions of servers, many more than Google has.

You are thinking of OnLive. I use Streammygame on my local network, and it works absolutely flawlessly. If you use it on the internet, and both connection are high speed and solid, you can do pretty well.

Oh! You're right. I got the two confused. Sorry!
OnLive is the one that promised to host the game on their servers and then stream it in HD, right?
Yeah, that's the fake one.

fearofshorts said:
palmertech said:
fearofshorts said:

Oh! You're right. I got the two confused. Sorry!
OnLive is the one that promised to host the game on their servers and then stream it in HD, right?
Yeah, that's the fake one.
Fake is a bit strong, you could say it's as much vapourware as Pandora. (As in it's not out yet, and how could they ever hope to produce it, it's just not viable) It's in beta at the moment and actually being used. Near the end of the thread that I gave the link to earlier, there was even a review by someone who got hold of a beta pass.
I'm not saying it will replace pc's and consoles, may not even work for all types of games.
It may never even get past beta for all we know, and being sceptical is fine, but calling it fake is a bit much.
Just my 2 cents.

Well for gamecube, I was talking about Dolphin, but you needs a strong PC.
But it will works !
With PS2 and Dreamcast too

Na-Noo said:
Fake is a bit strong, you could say it's as much vapourware as Pandora. (As in it's not out yet, and how could they ever hope to produce it, it's just not viable) It's in beta at the moment and actually being used. Near the end of the thread that I gave the link to earlier, there was even a review by someone who got hold of a beta pass.
I'm not saying it will replace pc's and consoles, may not even work for all types of games.
It may never even get past beta for all we know, and being sceptical is fine, but calling it fake is a bit much.
Just my 2 cents.
It might not be fake, but it's at the very least misleading. A couple of claims from their site include "OnLive connects you to game servers through the Internet, instantly sending your controller actions upstream and the results back downstream at blinding fast speeds" and "For HDTV resolution (720p60), OnLive needs 5 Mbps."
Let's run that through a little bit of logic. First, we're now expected to consider response times around minimum 20ms - and possibly as high as 250ms - as instant and blindingly fast. Before monitor lag, a modern nuisance I hope will go away with displayport OLEDs or something. Second, a 5Mbps video stream is expected to outperform DVD video in quality by over four times, using real-time encoding. DVDs use 6Mbps MPEG-2 video and get visible artifacts all the time for their 480i images. It's just not going to be very good.
Also, that 720p60 - which using ONLY a lossy YUV compression (they'll be doing more, of course) comes out to about 880Mbps - is expected to play fine on entry level PC hardware.

I'm not saying the service doesn't exist, but I do say they're trying to fire up entirely unreasonable expectations. Still, remote played games are possible, and some publishers will love onlive for offering a total control platform.

Just curious did you read the preview that I posted? (They where outside the catchment area)
I think it did a lot better than I was expecting.
I don't wont to come across as a sales rep for them, just saying calling it fake is a bit strong.
It did seem to work well for some games, and what people consider blazing fast/playable may very well vary. (Think their trying to aim for 80ms)
From what I remember they could be using h264 slicing, not some new tech like their saying, or maybe it's a modified codec. Either way, they've got it working to a point. So....... let's see what comes of it is my view.

Well, I think that this discussion, for the most part, is moot. There are no Linux clients for StreamMyGame or OnLive, and especially no Linux ARM clients.

Laurencevde's idea about using X over the network is a good one, but it only works for a 'server' running X-windows. If it works at a decent speed, it would give you access to quite a bit, especially if you're running a fast computer. You might even be able to get some decent Windows games running under Wine.

I think this is a solution that we might want to consider more.

There is a Linux client for Streammygame.

http://streammygame.com/smg/modules.php?name=OurSoftware

Just waiting for a Linux ARM client.

You see that ?

The World's first Linux Game Stream player enables you to receive game streams and play games remotely locally or over broadband from any StreamMyGame member on a Linux PC, Linux Device or PlayStation3.

Available for Ubuntu Linux, Yellow Dog Linux and many other Linux distributions.

Play high-end PC games on your low-end Linux PC, laptop, PS3 or mobile device. Watch videos you record on any device.

Download it NOW

Please Note : The free version of our player is limited to 640x480 for local streaming and 1024x768 for recording. Broadband streaming also includes and advert.

Once your a member you can subscribe here for Premium and Unlimited packages with HDTV and Feature Film resolutions.
The World's first Game Stream Web 2.0 Mashup. Our site is both a meeting place for gamers and a way to connect to them.

It includes many community features such as chat, forums, who-is-online, profiles, avatars, groups, private messages and more.

You use our website to access your games remotely and can form Groups with other gamers so you can play their games.

Register NOW its FREE

Want to increase your sites traffic or earn extra revenues?

Why not join our Affiliate Program here and grow your own websites and revenue streams.

Key Feature List
1 Secure Username, Password protection
2 Receives Streams from StreamMyGame Server
3 Displays Streams over Broadband
4 Displays Streams over LAN
5 Displays Broadcast (multicast streams)
6 Captures keyboard commands and sends them back to the Server
7 Full security including SSL and real-time decryption of video and audio
8 High quality video and audio streams and recorded files
9 Plays recorded videos of games
10 Includes Play, Pause and Stop
11 Change aspect ratio
12 Full screen and Windowed mode
13 Remotely switch your Servers audio output
14 Displays Frames Per Second of your game in video
15 Displays DirectX version of your game in video

Well, normally, the SMG (StreamMyGame) team is working on a ARM port !!!

ricky2ricky
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi ARM people

Yes we will make an ARM release.
Cant say when unfortunatly,
We will release V2 before christmas,
then we want to improve usability of the website,
then we want to improve NAT traversal (broadband routing),
then we will look at mobile ARM and Smartbooks.

SMG_Core

Maybe just be patient !

Well grasshoppir, you don't understand.

I'm not talking about streaming like OnLive, who stream games from them server, but StreamMyGame, who allow you to stream a game on your PC, to another device, if it's not enough powerfull.

But you need a strong PC !

For exemple, Pandora can't run X86 games and application, or haven't enough power to handle Gamecube and PS2 emulation.

If your PC can handle those, you can stream into your Pandora.

If you ask me, he was joking. You know, forbidden stuff you like to do just because your parents say it's dangerous and all. Something along those lines. People here tend to dismiss ideas often enough before even looking closer at the possibilites ;)

PunchOut said:
Well grasshoppir, you don't understand.

I'm not talking about streaming like OnLive, who stream games from them server, but StreamMyGame, who allow you to stream a game on your PC, to another device, if it's not enough powerfull.

But you need a strong PC !

For exemple, Pandora can't run X86 games and application, or haven't enough power to handle Gamecube and PS2 emulation.

If your PC can handle those, you can stream into your Pandora.
i still think it's stupid

EDIT: mali, no i was not joking. btw thanks for changing your disgusting avatar :)

grasshoppir said:
i still think it's stupid

EDIT: mali, no i was not joking. btw thanks for changing your disgusting avatar :)
Yeah, I thought it would be best to switch to something less offensive :)

I can see how someone can find it stupid, but personally I can see use for it. Playing less attention demanding games while lying on the couch would be nice. I don't see how it is dangerous, though.

Back