Release Stream2Chromecast

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Stream2Cast, a media streamer to Chromecast devices.

preview1.png

Stream2Chromecast casts audio and video files to a Chromecast device from Pandora. It can also transcode any unsupported files in real time and play them on the Chromecast. It is written in Python 2.7 and uses either ffmpeg for transcoding.
FFmpeg is embeded in the PND, but for pythn, it will use wxPython that need to be somewhere in your Pandora.

Stream2Chromecast is a command line only software (the comands are display at start).

History log
=========

Build 01
------------

• Initial build

Last edited:
Sweet! I had the ability to control my chromecast from within Android Gingerbread on my Pandora but I never boot that anymore. Also, all that did was send a youtube url to the chromecast afaik. I'll check this out tonight for sure! It would be awesome if streaming a video from the Pandora to my chromecast really works, how does it pair? Also, will it send youtube urls too?

These things live on the wifi network, so that's how they talk to each other I think. Myself, I use you-get to watch youtube videos these days, and that just passes a url to mplayer to actually play stuff, so I suspect this does the same (assuming youtube streams don't need transcoding for the google player). If I leave those paused for too long the stream expires, which kills the playback, but that's the only downside to not doing it in browser these days.

I tried it out and it kind of works... It doesn't seem to stream though, it looks like it uploads the entire file to the chromecast before it starts to play. It's fine for small files but large files made it crash/disconnect the chromecast. Also it took too long to be useful anyway even if it wouldn't crash.
What's weird that the program says you can command it with -pause etc. but it doesn't return to prompt when playing has started :p To enter a new command the playback has to be stopped with Ctrl-C.
And last, the URL player doesn't work at all, a couple of python errors show up. too bad :-/ A right-click, playback to chromecast would have been nice ;)
My guess development of this is in a too early stage still. Great that some one is working on it though

Edit: I just read this on the github page, it might explain why my youtube link didnt play ;)

To play a supported file from a URL. This plays the file directly from the remote address, so the file must be streamable and cannot be transcoded. This option will only play downloadable files, it will not stream internet radio stations.

stream2chromecast.py -playurl http://www.example.com/my_media.mp4

Last edited:
castnow was way better, but I don't know how difficult it would be to get node.js stuff working on Pandora.

Yeah, well, there is a "but"...

I do have node.js, but for now, I still cannot get an electron build that run... That's why I haven't packaged yet.

I'm probably one of the few using this... I stumbled upon this error

It happens when trying to send a file with the -transcode option

/mnt/utmp/stream2chromecast$ stream2chromecast.py -transcode /media/data/bommel.mkv

-----------------------------------------

Stream2Chromecast version:0.6.1

Copyright (C) 2014-2016 Pat Carter
GNU General Public License v3.0
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html

-----------------------------------------

searching the network for a Chromecast device
device name: eight bits chromecast
Playing: /media/data/bommel.mkv
ffprobe: error while loading shared libraries: libavdevice.so.57: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
my ip address: 192.168.1.4
URL & content-type: http://192.168.1.4:46782/media/data/bommel.mkv video/mp4
loading media...
192.168.1.10 - - [01/Aug/2017 18:51:22] "GET /media/data/bommel.mkv HTTP/1.1" 200 -
sending file
ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libavdevice.so.57: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
waiting for player to finish - press ctrl-c to stop...
done

Also what I find ackward is that there's all sorts of options to change volume and the lot but when playing, I don't get my command prompt back until I stop the video.

Anyway, playing a URL or local file w/o transcoding works great, transcoding does not.

I hope some day some one will make a nice GUI for this, or I learn enough to do it myself :)

Back