Release Scary Gardener Tales 3D

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Scary Gardener Tales 3D, a wolf-like game.

preview3.png

This game is writen in Python, and use pygames and pyopengl to run.

You will need wxPython build 09 (or later) for it to run.

The keymap has been adapted.

Constrols are:

DPad : to move (left/right is strafe)

Right nub: look around (only left/right, no up/down in this game).

{R} : Fire

1-5 : Change Weapons

History log

==========

Build 03

-----------

• Fixed last level not showing properly
Build 02

-----------

• Forced right nub to be mouse move
Build 01

-----------

• Initial build
  • Adapted keymap to Pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
oooh... does that mean I can rip apart the PND and get Python OpenGL stuff to work...?

I found the control difficult to deal with.  The way it is right now is you walk with DPad, but look around with Left Nub.  If I want to walk and look around at the same time it is next to impossible.  I know I can change this via nub configuration, but would be nice if the game does this itself.  That is either using left nub for both walking, aiming and looking around or using Dpad for walking, right nub for looking around as well as aiming.

oooh... does that mean I can rip apart the PND and get Python OpenGL stuff to work...?
Sure :)

I found the control difficult to deal with.  The way it is right now is you walk with DPad, but look around with Left Nub.  If I want to walk and look around at the same time it is next to impossible.  I know I can change this via nub configuration, but would be nice if the game does this itself.  That is either using left nub for both walking, aiming and looking around or using Dpad for walking, right nub for looking around as well as aiming.
Oh yes, I forgot to switch Nubs in "FPS" mode (because I have setup my right nub has mouse move, I didn't notice). I'll update soon.

Fixed build on the repo, I have put the Nubs in FPS mode now at launch (and restored of course at quit).

Build 02

-----------

• Forced right nub to be mouse move

Thank you sir ptitSeb!

I have a pitchfork but couldn't find Craig anywhere.  Can you give a hint where his house is in the game?

Looks pretty nice.  I will give it a play if I have time next week.  Thanks a bunch.

I have setup my right nub has mouse move
Just curious, what method do you use for clicking?
Right shoulder to fire (hmmm, I'll update first post with the controls).
I meant for things like desktop use.  Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.
Ah ok,

I have juts inverted the function of both nubs compared to default settings: Left nub is mouse buttons and Right nub is mouse move. I prefer it that way.

Meh wxpython  was too big for a quick download. 

But this works fine on the desktop too. 

Very good game.

I cant finish it, i stuck in a level with most parts/walls/floors beeing plain black. 

hubkey -1 -1

hubkey -1 -1
finmap lake.lev
finmap park.lev
finmap circus.lev
finmap town.lev
ammo 0 1
ammo 1 93
ammo 2 17
ammo 3 146
ammo 4 2

hard 0
Meanwhile ill check if it runs on the desktop.

edit: The level runs fine on the desktop. 

on a rebirth/1ghz the level has almost no texture tho. 

hubkey -1 -1

hubkey -1 -1

finmap lake.lev

finmap park.lev

finmap circus.lev

finmap town.lev

ammo 0 1

ammo 1 93

ammo 2 17

ammo 3 146

ammo 4 2

hard 0
Meanwhile ill check if it runs on the desktop.

edit: The level runs fine on the desktop. 

on a rebirth/1ghz the level has almost no texture tho. 
Ok thanks, I'll take a look tomorrow. It's probably a glshim related issue.

So, I found the issue, and fixed it. That is for the good news. The bad news is, this issue was a too large array drawing, that I had to split inside glshim.

The game use a very simple rendering loop, drawing everything at each frame, without any kind of face removing algorithm. In last level, I wanted to draw an array a 137k vertex (more or less). It draws GL_QUAD, so thos have to be transformed as an indexed array of GL_TRIANGLES, but there were just too many quads, and, on GLES1.1, you only have unsigned short for index (that means, no more than 65536 index)... So I needed to split.

Still, drawing that many triangles, even if they are not visible, has an impact on performance. So even if the rendering is now good, the performances will not be stellar (but nothing I can do here, appart rewriting the engine, which I will not).

Build 03

-----------

• Fixed last level not showing properly

Back