Stppc For Caanoo

ainu

Still Fresh
Hello, there is Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection (STPPC) port for caanoo 30 logical games-in-one. There is gp2x-source based port.
Author of original game: Simon Tatham
Authors of puzzles code: Simon Tatham, Richard Boulton,
James Harvey, Mike Pinna, Jonas Kolker,
Dariusz Olszewski, Michael Schierl,
Lambros Lambrou, Bernd Schmidt, Chris Boyle.
Maze3D Puzzle: Edward Macnaghten.
GP2X/SDL Port, implementation of Mosco:
ledow (www.ledow.org.uk/gp2x)
Menu graphics/code: juanvvc
Recompiling from PC source, right-click touch and caanoo joystick binding: me=).

There are 3 alternate controls: by touchscreen (with pressing "Help I" button touchscreen will produce right click), by joystick-control mouse cursor, and simply by joystick. You may choose it in options, also you may choose difficulty of all games.
All games (but sudoku not yet) are playable.
stppc.png

You may download it here: http://dev.emulate.su/downloads/stppc-caanoo-29-11-2010.zip
Sorry for my poor English.

ainu said:
Hello, there is Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection (STPPC) port for caanoo 30 logical games-in-one. There is gp2x-source based port.
There are 3 alternate controls: by touchscreen (with pressing "Help I" button touchscreen will produce right click), by joystick-control mouse cursor, and simply by joystick. You may choose it in options, also you may choose difficulty of all games.
stppc.png

You may download it here: http://dev.emulate.su/downloads/stppc-caanoo-29-11-2010.zip

wow, that looks awesome :-o can't wait to try it!

Last edited by a moderator:
ainu said:
stppc.png

Thanks for not giving me credit for the code you based it on (that's *MY* code, by the way, and Simon Tatham's too), and for not providing your GPL source code (required if you used *anything* from my STPPC2x version which you did), and for removing the GPL and various license files from the distribution (which is actually illegal).

I won't kick up a fuss if you do those things for me, and just assume it was an oversight.

P.S. On the site that hosts my source for that project, you'll see the Dingoo A320 and GP2X Wiz versions - they were both done by other people and neither stripped out the credits / licenses. I actually *want* to host your version on there for, for completeness, so if you could correct the problem, I'll give you a download site alongsid all the other versions.

ledow said:
Thanks for not giving me credit for the code you based it on
Run the game and you will see "Ledow" label. I dont clear that from game. If you looking for sources, changed by me, you may ask for it.
If you mean, that I should can't use free GPL code, say that.
If you mean, than I should put credits file to distribution, say that. Now I re-upload archive with credits.txt file and license dir inside.
If you mean, than I should put sources into archive with binaries, say that.
If you mean, that I should store sources in your hosting, say that, and say why. Now I continue working for it.
If you mean, that I should write credits information in this post or in the site, say that.

P.S. Sorry If I do anything wrong, I newbie in world of linux and licenses. Just say, what I should do.

OK, thats CURRENT DIRTY on-work version or sources: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/626643/caanoo/stppc2x-v1.1-caanoo-changes-source.zip
With configured makefile and with compiled binary file.

ainu said:
ledow said:
Thanks for not giving me credit for the code you based it on
Run the game and you will see "Ledow" label. I dont clear that from game. If you looking for sources, changed by me, you may ask for it.
If you mean, that I should can't use free GPL code, say that.
If you mean, than I should put credits file to distribution, say that. Now I re-upload archive with credits.txt file and license dir inside.
If you mean, than I should put sources into archive with binaries, say that.
If you mean, that I should store sources in your hosting, say that, and say why. Now I continue working for it.
If you mean, that I should write credits information in this post or in the site, say that.

P.S. Sorry If I do anything wrong, I newbie in world of linux and licenses. Just say, what I should do.

Firstly, it's polite to just mention your sources (you even mention GP2X-sources but fail to mention where - STPPC is a multi-platform, hugely ported piece of software, it could be anything). It's not required but it's polite. I'd do it but you don't have to.

The "Ledow" label was on a graphic that, yes, you left in. I didn't really care if that page went missing so long as other things were there but juanvvc (who did the menu graphics) might.

You can use GPL code but it's illegal to then not distribute source of your modifications to everyone you distribute the program to. That's *not* just politeness, it's required if you use that code.

You can remove the credits file but that's incredibly rude, especially seeing as a lot of it is credit for other people and required credits for the MIT/BSD/LGPL licence that *some* parts of the program uses. Without suitable alternative credits, that's a licence breach. The licences themselves should ALWAYS be included because that's required in some cases - and would be a licence breach without. We're not just talking about my GPL here, we're talking about the underlying libraries (e.g. SDL) and programs it was based on (e.g. the original MIT STPPC code). That'll get you in trouble with *other* people if you do that.

You can put the sources where you like. I don't really mind, and there's no obligation to post them on a particular place - separate download, separate site, etc. are fine. But every time you distribute the program, you need to distribute AT MINIMUM a copy of the GPL that tells the user they have an opportunity to obtain the original source by either contacting you or downloading from a given address. Putting them in the binary is pretty harmless - they are quite small and can stay zipped, just so long as they are there and the licence files are clearly visible.

The offer of hosting was one of politeness and exposure - I was offering to list your port (and take some of the download burden / give you some free advertising) for you on the website where lots of other ports are. That's up to you if you want to do that, it was just an offer of help. Legally, there's nothing to stop me doing it anyway (your code is GPL), but I wouldn't host GPL binaries without accompanying source, or without your permission.

Credits info in this post would have been nice. Not required, but nice. On the site, would have been nice too. But I wouldn't really notice if you didn't, to be honest.

Basically I don't really care about anything but *your* legal obligations to publish source to anyone you give the program to, and to keep the licences and copyright notices attached therein intact. The credits.txt forms part of those copyright notices so it (or something substantially like it) are legally required. I noticed that you don't distribute the music, and that's good because I got special permission for that from the original musician. It's not just me that I'm thinking of here, I have to protect those people's work too.

Your work is excellent - I'm not doubting your abilities - I'm just saying that you *do* have to be careful to comply with the licenses. Just omitting license info is a pretty serious thing, especially when you had to deliberately remove it in some cases. I don't really care that much about the code - I have my own code, and I don't own a Caanoo, and it's only a game at the end of the day, but there are people whose code I used that might not be so nice, and legal "promises" that I've made to protect that code.

If you could just restore credits.txt, the license files, and distribute the source SOMEHOW, that's everyone happy. Anything else (credit, hosting a copy with me, including the source in the same download etc.) is entirely up to you. I'd just consider it polite.

P.S. If you'd told me you were working on this, I'd have helped you with any problems you had too.

ledow said:
Firstly, it's polite to just mention your sources (you even mention GP2X-sources but fail to mention where - STPPC is a multi-platform, hugely ported piece of software, it could be anything). It's not required but it's polite. I'd do it but you don't have to.
OK, I think, I done all of that. There are all credits in projects page (http://dev.emulate.su/projects/stppc, there are Russian), and there are my sources link in this thread and in projects page, and there are credits in this page, there are credits info file in sources archive and binary archive (available in old links).
Of course, you may share link to this post, to archive, to projects page, or your link archive, or you link binary, or your interpretation of binary everywhere you want. Its free.

Anyway, many thanks for this great program!

ledow said:
The "Ledow" label was on a graphic that, yes, you left in. I didn't really care if that page went missing so long as other things were there but juanvvc (who did the menu graphics) might.

I don't care if my name is shown in the menu or not. The hard work is on Simon and Ledow's sides. My contribution was so small that my name does not deserve to be listed with theirs. But I absolutely agree with every single point of Ledow's claims. I find especially rude to remove the credits and license files from the binary distribution. So rude and premeditated, that I can only imagine dubious reasons to do that.

Anyway, do not let that this miss-step undermine stpcc. This is a wonderful collection of games and I absolutely love it. Gamers, please, try stpcc. You'll enjoy it a lot.

You can use GPL code but it's illegal to then not distribute source of your modifications to everyone you distribute the program to. That's *not* just politeness, it's required if you use that code.

I believe this is wrong. The author only has to tell how anyone can obtain the modified source files, and it can also be by request. It does not have to be directly downloadable.

/Uni

u9i said:

I believe this is wrong. The author only has to tell how anyone can obtain the modified source files, and it can also be by request. It does not have to be directly downloadable.

/Uni

The words "upon request" should be in there, correct. But I do make that point elsewhere in the same post, I believe.

Yeah, you did... then you went back to "made public with the binary." But it doesn't matter. The important thing is ainu does seem to respect the GPL and seems to have corrected everything he did wrong (i haven't checked). Thumbs up for that. Also, i think everyone should make the source available for download when they release the binary. It is just much easier for everyone, as it requires more work to actually request it, and many might be put of by it.

ainu, thanks very much for porting this. And thank you to all the original authors as well. This is an awesome collection of great games. I have played this a lot on my GP2x, and i'm sure it will get a lot of attention on my Caanoo as well (once i get it back.)

/Uni

Back