Stinkin' Newbie Needs Your Help

Duddyroar

Website
www.vc-reviews.com
Ok. So I've ordered my GP32, should hopefully get it tomorrow, I've ordered a 128 SMC and that should be with me by the end of the week.

So what the hell do I do when they get here?

I'll be honest, I'm new to all this. I dabbled in the emu scene a little bit a couple of years ago and I've not really touched it since. Not a huge amount of this stuff makes any sense to me and I need a little advice on what to do when my lovely GP32 drops onto the doormat.

So what are the basic steps for setting the machine up? I know you have to go to Gamepark's site and register, but what's all this 'Flashing firmware' malarky? Why is it so risky (some people say it fries their machines - as you can imagine, this worries me)? Does the machine play video files as standard, or will I have to buy 'MoviePark' or whatever it's called? I know Wind Ups is a Windows style interface but is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Hi and welcome in the GP32 user family :)
The first thing you should do is registering your GP32 at the Gampark site. After that you can download the freelauncher software which is necessary to run all the applications. You should also download the PC Link software from Gameparks website. This software is used to transfer programs to your machine and to format your smc. As soon as you formatted your smc with the PC Link software you should install the freelauncher. When installing new software most programs (emus etc.) have to be put into the GPMM directory of your smc. Many emulators require you to create a specific directory for the roms. This can be easily done via the GP Link software. For further details about that please check the readme files for the specific emus. If I were you I wouldn't flash the firmware until you get used to the machine. There is an excellent multifirmware created by Mr. Spiv . I would highly recommend this firmware in case of upgrading later on. In case of flashing the firmware the most important thing is to use fresh batteries and do NOT touch the machine during the flashing process (which only takes a couple of seconds anyway). When the flashing is done and you get the message to reboot the machine better wait another couple of seconds before you restart the machine. Most of all failed flashes happen because the machine was powered of during flashing or the batteries were too low on power. Nevertheless there is always a small risk that something could go wrong during the flashing, resulting in an unusable machine :( Therefore think about it carefully and first try to get used to the machine. Hope that helped a little. Enjoy your new toy :D

I have really been in your shoes, so I will try to help you. First off there is a guide just for some of what you are looking for- GP32emu Just click on the Newbie help thing. It really is a pain in the you-know-what to set it up, or at least it was for me. Just remember a lot of the drivers that you download for it to plug it into the USB are .zip files, so unzip them using WinZip, and install them. Make sure you have fresh batteries too. About people "frying their machines", I know not of such things. Maybe they were using illegal program, so stick to the one on GamePark, and you should have no troubles.
About MoviePark, YES, GET IT! you will love it. It is the best for playing movies, and costs about $5, 4 euros, 7000 won, 650 yen, whereever you are.
About Windups, it is a great program, and has address book and e-book (text files only). It is great. I hope that answers some of your questions, and good luck! Just be paitient with the process.

Thanks for the link, that site looks great, should answer most of my questions. This firmware flashing thing still worries me, I don't like the idea of my machine being fried, I'd like to know a little bit more about the process before I attempt it. The site you gave me the link for says that there is a way of saving a GP32 that won't boot due to a bad flash, I'd like to know if this process is possible before I flash the thing. It also says that you don't have to flash the firmware, can anyone give me an opinion on this? I don't intend to mess around with the machine too much, I just want to play games, listen to MP3s and watch the odd video. I'm not going to be coding or writing programs for this thing.

Cheers! And keep the suggestions and hints coming!

Well, to be honest, if you are not going to be coding for the machine, and flashing the firmware does worry you, unless the original firmware in there really annoys you, then you are best sticking with it. As though the risk of frying your machine is very low (and, as you say, mr_spiv, with help from his JTAG cable, can now fix them), there is still a risk...
Some commercial games (so I hear) do not work that well with machines with non-original firmware too.
Other than that... have fun!

One gotcha that had me scratching my head for a while is the usb connector itself.

At the gp32 end there is a tactile, firm 'click' required for it connect properly. being all 'omg omg, this is a new toy' I was too woosey to force it in enough to click. Hence the PC didn't see the GP and drivers wouldn't install.

It's not nearly so bad now, so I'd guess being brand new caused it.

Oh and another thing, it should have that clear plastic protective stuff over the screen, leave it on! it'll protect the screen for a few months before it drives you insane enough to peel it off. Once you do you'll have a perfect virgin screen again. hmm maybe I'm a bit weird like that, but i've always done it to anything i own that has an LCD. Does anyone else do this?

Otherwise, you'll be fine. Invest in good rechargable batteries and remember that, despite the headphones, everyone else on the bus can hear cursing the last level of Turrican.

I just can't leave those screen protectors on. Firstly, they are way too reflective and bumpy for my liking, and two, they're just waaaaay to satifying to peel off (like peeling dry glue off your hands in school :D)

hehe

"...and remember that, despite the headphones, everyone else on the bus can hear cursing the last level of Turrican"

:lol:

"...they're just waaaaay to satifying to peel off"

That is so true. :D

As for flashing the firmware: The danger here isn't truly "frying" anything, but rather that the firmware is what allows the GP32 to boot up in the first place. So, if the flashing is interrupted or incomplete in any way, then your GP32 will not boot up, leaving you no way to fix it by reflashing either (you flash by running a program on the GP32). Mr. Spiv, the creator of the multi-fw, does have a JTAG cable now that can repair a failed flash, but that still requires sending it to him.

It really isn't that dangerous, but is NOT necessary. If you plan on developing a lot it is probably worth it. The other main reason (in my opinion) to use it is if you really like windups. Try Wind-Ups first by running it through free-launcher. If you decide that you like the app well enough that you really want to boot directly into it, then you can flash your firmware to do so. But especially at first, just play around and get used to your GP32!

Arutha posted on May 13 2003 said:
As for flashing the firmware: The danger here isn't truly "frying" anything, but rather that the firmware is what allows the GP32 to boot up in the first place. So, if the flashing is interrupted or incomplete in any way, then your GP32 will not boot up, leaving you no way to fix it by reflashing either (you flash by running a program on the GP32). Mr. Spiv, the creator of the multi-fw, does have a JTAG cable now that can repair a failed flash, but that still requires sending it to him.

It really isn't that dangerous, but is NOT necessary. If you plan on developing a lot it is probably worth it. The other main reason (in my opinion) to use it is if you really like windups. Try Wind-Ups first by running it through free-launcher. If you decide that you like the app well enough that you really want to boot directly into it, then you can flash your firmware to do so. But especially at first, just play around and get used to your GP32!
Or you could be like me, and have no choice but to flash the firmware if you want to get work done. I work on a Macintosh, and there's a glitch in the GP32's USB system that interferes with it connecting properly to OS X 10.2.x, which I'm running. Our friendly neighborhood Mr Spiv has fortunately included a patch in his latest multifirmware package, so I'd need to flash the firmware to ensure a proper connection. Technically, it's not absolutely necessary (I can just use a cardreader to transfer files back and forth), but I plan to do a bunch of testing with VirtualPC, so a connection is a must. :D

At any rate, I'm going to use an AC adapter for the flashing. Then I won't have any power problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt flash, and to be honest I see very little reason to. The freeware launcher works perfect for me. But if you really want windups, flashing isnt too hard. You just have to know what your doing in advance, thats why you should read about now, before you get your gamepark in the mail.

Try Wind-Ups first by running it through free-launcher.
Not sure exactly what else to tell you man, if you can't figure this out return your GP32 pronto!

I dont actually own a GP32(plan to soon)
but when you boot up the GP32 You will see the Three Choices:

MP3
GAME
PC-Link

MP3- Will take to you the MP3 Player(What else would it do :D )
Game-Go Here to launch the Free Launcher and to play Commercial Games

PC Link-links you up to your pc to transfer files

Duddyroar posted on May 13 2003 said:
Do you have to flash to get Windups, or can you access it using the original firmware? I'm not bothered about it booting directly to Windups.
You can use it without flashing. Copy it over and it'll show up in your programs list and run just like any other program. To be honest, I wouldn't worry about flashing your firmware for quite some time. I've had my gp32 for a few months now and haven't had a reason to do mine yet.

Arutha - I was trying to find out if Windups was fully accessable without flashing. I've read other posts where people seem to be hell bent on flashing the firmware to be able to boot Windups from the start, and I just wanted to know if this offered any other benefits, I can't believe that people would make all this fuss about flashing the firmware just to save themselves a few button presses when the machine starts. If it's a case of just selecting it like a normal program then I'd rather do that than risk wasting the machine itself.

It really isn't that dangerous, but is NOT necessary.  If you plan on developing a lot it is probably worth it.  The other main reason (in my opinion) to use it is if you really like windups.  Try Wind-Ups first by running it through free-launcher.  If you decide that you like the app well enough that you really want to boot directly into it, then you can flash your firmware to do so.  But especially at first, just play around and get used to your GP32!
Duddyroar - I know what you wanted, and I gave you the answer in a post BEFORE you asked the question in two different posts... that's what I was quoting... my response to your question before you even asked it (again, twice).

Check out the quote above (the complete second paragraph from the first post I wrote). I would say that telling you to "try it through freelauncher" and "If you... like the app well enough that you want to boot directly into it, then you can flash your firmware" seems clear to me. Sorry if I annoyed you by pointing out that you didn't bother reading posts very well. But if that's how you read things then we can be expecting to hear from you a lot on these boards with questions... most of the emus and tasks are explained well in readmes and faqs, but if you don't bother reading them you'll be here posting questions about why things won't work for you.

To everyone who hates flashing so much, but hasn't even done it: Stop whining about the dangers and how it isn't worth it... you don't even know what you're missing. Fine, you don't want to, so don't. But you're making a judgement that flashing is bad and you don't even know how much time it can save if you reboot frequently.

There, I've now vented my bad mood, so flame away! <_<

Back