Questions From A Newbie...

fx2594

Still Fresh
Hello All. I've read so much about the GP32, that I finally purchased a FLU model last week. It's quite an amazing machine. I'm having a little trouble with a few of the emulators though, and I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help me.

For both fSMS32 & DrMD, my screen just goes black after I select a game. The emulator seems to boot fine, and my game list menu appears, but no game executes, and I've tried about 5 different ones for each. I have NesterGP, VCS32, & gpcolem and both run fine. Any suggestions?

Also, one generic question- Is there a way to check how much space is used on the Smart Media Card?

Lastly, are there any 'must have' games or applications that you would suggest for the GP32?

Thanks!

For both fSMS32 & DrMD, my screen just goes black after I select a game. The emulator seems to boot fine, and my game list menu appears, but no game executes, and I've tried about 5 different ones for each. I have NesterGP, VCS32, & gpcolem and both run fine. Any suggestions?

What games are you trying to run? Not every ROM runs in every emulaor.

Also, one generic question- Is there a way to check how much space is used on the Smart Media Card?

If you have a card reader, check it in windows ... or you can use the GPmanager (PClink software, what ever it's called) to see how much free space is left ....

Lastly, are there any 'must have' games or applications that you would suggest for the GP32?

Highly open to debate :lol:

Hmmm... I'm assuming your roms are located in gpmm/genesis? If so, thats quite odd. Are the roms your using zipped? (this shouldn't make a difference by the way, its just that if all the roms are zipped its faster for the emu). Are you trying to oc your gp's processor beyond its limits? Check to see if the emu is running at 133 and not any higher (I don't know how high your gp can oc to...).

Have you tried using fgen? It's Rlyeh's genesis emu, you'll most likely end up wanting both that and dr.md on your smc anyways. Try that emu (roms in genesis folder as well so it should be a rather painless process) to see if it even works. If not, then I'm pretty stumped. Are your batteries new/charged?

I know I'm asking a whole lot of questions and giving 50 reccomendations, but hopefully one will work : )
To check how much space each folder taked up using gpdrive, just put your mouse over the folder like you would in windows. If you want to see how much space is left on your smc, connect through pclink, go to files ---> properties. the amt. of spave left will be displayed on the bottom.

In terms of must have stuff, well your on the right track with dr.md. Instead of using Nester gp you may wanna give Yoyo's Little John a go. I think you'll find that its an excellent emu and most prefer it over nester gp. osnes .2 and .3 are great to keep on your gp as well (.2 works better with sound than .3). gpengine is the turbographics 16 emu (a must have, if only for Devil's Crush), and fgb32 for gameboy. In terms of apps, gpcinema (though I'm sure you already know this) and gpdrive if you avent already used it.

For ports, Doom is excellent, xrick is addictive as all hell, and Day Of The Tentacle on scumm plays great on the gp.

In terms of homebrew games, my faves are akanoid, drunken frogger/master, lacuna, numo, and gpfinal war.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the community :)

fx2594 posted on Dec 18 2004 at 04:40 AM said:
Hello All.  I've read so much about the GP32, that I finally purchased a FLU model last week.  It's quite an amazing machine.  I'm having a little trouble with a few of the emulators though, and I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help me.

For both fSMS32 & DrMD, my screen just goes black after I select a game.  The emulator seems to boot fine, and my game list menu appears, but no game executes, and I've tried about 5 different ones for each.  I have NesterGP, VCS32, & gpcolem and both run fine.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

That is strange. there is no reason off hand as to why they shouldn't work. My suggestion is to read the readme files again and make sure you have all of the directories named correctly and in all of the expected places. Also do a new scan directory in the emu itself to make sure it is finding everything ok. if that don't work test your romz in a pc emu to make sure they are good. It is something simple I am sure. The GP32 dir structure is laid out clean and simple and once you get the hang of it you will be able to do it with your eyes closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for your replies! I'm going to put all of your suggestions to the test.

A few of you mentioned that it's possible that the roms I'm using may not work on the emulator. Can you mention specific roms you have used with each emulator that you know work well so I can test using that?

Thanks Again!

Back