Still Using Your Gp32 In 2012

Still using your GP32 in 2012?

• Yes, I still play with it.

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • No.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No, it's broken. I would if it was working.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
After a few years of non-activity I am in the mood to develop something again.
I never published my vAtari 2600 emulator outside of the Pandora Angst Competition so I'll do that first.

What sort of emulator would people be interested in for their GP32 - assuming people still use it?

Some suggestions, in order of my preference:

Atari 2600 (more improvements to my Atari 2600 emu, like Pitfall 2 compatibility and multiplayer using the RF module)
1943 (MAME Arcade game, single game "full speed" emulation, or perhaps some other MAME game that wasn't quite full speed on the GP32)
CPS1 emulator (using caching as per the PSP, may not work at all)
PC 8086
Atari 7800

Others?

Caanoo user here, if that counts, then it is a yes to the poll :)
As for possible other emulators, maybe old 8-bit computers like apple II and tandy color computer.

Anyway congrats on coming back in action, keep the fire burning.

Yeah, Wiz and Caanoo support always welcome around here :)

Hey slannesh, I still pull out the gp32 occasionally. IMO, a standalone 1942/1943 emu would be a great idea. There's a dev named Copper that wrote a bunch of these types of emus for the NDS. I can't seem to find his website but here's the emus on PDRoms, http://pdroms.de/files/system/emulators

If not that then I would pick the cps1 emu. Would cps2 be a slideshow on the GP32?

BTW, they're really missing you over at Dingoonity! :lol: Anyway you could recompile your Dingoo work for OpenDingux?

Hi Slaanesh, i not have a GP32 :( but i have a Dingoo A320 :D your emus are really impressive. Can you compile MAME and FBA (with a keymapper) for OpenDingux, please? Greetings from Argentina!

I am SO glad to see a developer express interest in something new for the GP32!

I still have two working GP32s (and one additional that should work but is currently in pieces, haha). It'd be awesome to have something new.

If you could pull off an 8086 PC emulator, I would frankly be shocked. :lol: But it would be pretty awesome.

7800 would be pretty awesome as well.

EDIT: Actually... As far as the 8086 thing goes, do you think you could do an emulator that specifically emulates the features of an IBM PCjr or Tandy 1000? PCjr is one of my favorite old computers. Mine is upgraded to 720k of RAM with an added IDE controller.

As I thought, the GP32 is probably a pretty limited "market" now, I bet there are only a few hundred active users left in the world despite selling 30K odd units.

The GP32 is fun to develop though can be a pain to debug! :)

The likes of the A320 - especially on a Linux is the opposite - very easy to develop on.
I would have thought that the native apps would be more appealing now than OpenDingux?
Faster startup, less over head, more memory available, etc?
I know MAME was ported to native Dingoo - perhaps native FBA would be cool too?

PC on the GP32 would be nice though without a chatboard a bit laborious to use. On second thoughts I'd probably give that a miss.

I might do MAME4ALL for OpenDingux first.

slaanesh said:
As I thought, the GP32 is probably a pretty limited "market" now, I bet there are only a few hundred active users left in the world despite selling 30K odd units.

The GP32 is fun to develop though can be a pain to debug! :)

The likes of the A320 - especially on a Linux is the opposite - very easy to develop on.
I would have thought that the native apps would be more appealing now than OpenDingux?
Faster startup, less over head, more memory available, etc?
I know MAME was ported to native Dingoo - perhaps native FBA would be cool too?

PC on the GP32 would be nice though without a chatboard a bit laborious to use. On second thoughts I'd probably give that a miss.

If you develop for OpenDingux,your works can be used too in the future handheld "GCW ZERO" which uses OD,and you make Dingoo A320 users hapyness! For the native OS we have a pack of great emus of lion_rms, called dingoones,dingoosmd and dingoosnes, but not a mame or fba. Anyway, remember in dingux and OD you can use 64mb, 128 etc. Of swap Memory. Native or OD, a new versión of FBA will be great, but remember a option for configure buttons please! And release the source code for the good of all the community! :) im looking forward for OD mame! Thanks slaanesh!

Last edited by a moderator:
GP32 Powa!
Anything for my GP32 will be welcomed!

The people from gp32spain were planning a programming contest for GP32, maybe you wanna participate!
http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?91214-Concurso-de-programaci%F3n-para-la-blanquita-que-nos-di%F3-nombre

Aiken

I wish I still have my GP32 but it's broken.
I tried today to relive some thing with geepee32 emul, but too slow and not working.
I really must get one.

But yeah, opendingux ports would be nice too. I have installed it in my dingoo now and there are very few stuff at the moment.

slaanesh said:

Very good new Slaanesh

Are you also interested in Open Pandora development?

Maybe you can try to add ASM cores in PanMame (Pandora Mame based on Mame 106):

http://mcobit.openpandora.org/

Thanks Slaanesh, anything for the olde GP32, would be great.

I emulate mainly Atari VCS2600 + 8 bit + ST.

More control over emulator settings and clock speeds would be nice, if possible.

My GP32, is my favourite device, with the GP2X, close behind.

I've been doing some debugging of DosBox, still a few issues here and there.
Also adding code for a soft keyboard for A320 users. Nanonote users can use the real keyboard!
I've also got to install OpenDingux to make sure that's okay with DosBox.

@Asteroid - have you tried my vAtari emulator for GP32? I better post that on my blog if you can't find the download.

I'd love to do some Pandora dev but at the moment I'm only using Mac OS X for dev and I don't have a VM (yet) to run Linux.
Let me know if there is a toolchain for Mac OS X.

slaanesh said:
Also adding code for a soft keyboard for A320 users. Nanonote users can use the real keyboard!

@Asteroid - have you tried my vAtari emulator for GP32? I better post that on my blog if you can't find the download.

I'd love to do some Pandora dev but at the moment I'm only using Mac OS X for dev and I don't have a VM (yet) to run Linux.

Is it possible that your dosbox improvements could be ported over to the Wiz?, Its a popular download.

Maybe you could port your Atari2600 emu to the GP2X as well, for better Pitfall 2 emulation, and further Mame4All improvements to the GP2X.

slaanesh said:

Dosbox!! Yeah!! Thanks for the update :)

Slaanesh, I love the Vatari emulator, you did for the PACC2010 competition.

We're lucky to still have you in our little fold.

wooowwwww so crazy. I probably look at this site maybe 1 or 2X a year and check to see if there's anything besides tumbleweeds, amazing to see there is still a little discussion about ol' GP32.

I still have and enjoy my FLU after all of these years - as an indie game dev it is still an invaluable resource to do reference checks for old games (they are always just "right there to pick up and play"). But of course two major impediments - 1, my joystick is prety worn and the diagonals are getting pretty close to useless, and 2 it's just really hard to still accept that frontlit screen at this point in time - especially with a bunch of crap smeared on the underside of the screen, so it's just fairly difficult to enjoy looking at it for more than a very brief session :( I would love to pick up BLU unit someday but damn hard to find, and at this point hard to justify not just spending the money on something more powerful.

But honestly - cheesy as it sounds, the feeling of holding a GP32 in one's hands, after all these years of so many devices, it's got a very unique and satisfying feeling never duplicated elsewhere. Kind of like holding an original GBA, it just "feels very satisfying" but in the case of both you'll always have those lighting issues (well yeah, like I said, I wanna BLU!)

Can't really say what else I'd like to see running on GP32 anymore, it's got a pretty solid stable of emus. More MAME is always nice, and I guess SNES emulation is pretty reasonable although it never felt really "right" unless you could OC. I'll vote for a more complete 2600 then, that would be very fitting and satisfying :)

Before I sign off, I want to mention how I miss the good old days when GP32 was really an exciting scene to be a part of, there really was nothing quite like it back in its day. You had to be pretty nerdy to have one, but (even for a game dev, or maybe especially then) one would get lots of looks ad ogles "ohhh what the hell is that!" Even on airlines, people would see me watching ripped vids on it (man, used to be such a pain in the ass to do that, but yes so gratifying! I remember I missed a flight because I was encoding a damn vid - dumbass) - and they'd say "oh great I need to buy one of these things." And of course a couple of years later, PSP came out, iOS devices, etc, and the world completely changed. Before that, I'd be hitting gp32x.de and gbaemu.com daily to see "What are people working on..?" good imes for sure, big thanks to all of those who worked hard to make it so exciting!

ralp99 said:
wooowwwww so crazy. I probably look at this site maybe 1 or 2X a year and check to see if there's anything besides tumbleweeds, amazing to see there is still a little discussion about ol' GP32.

I still have and enjoy my FLU after all of these years - as an indie game dev it is still an invaluable resource to do reference checks for old games (they are always just "right there to pick up and play"). But of course two major impediments - 1, my joystick is prety worn and the diagonals are getting pretty close to useless, and 2 it's just really hard to still accept that frontlit screen at this point in time - especially with a bunch of crap smeared on the underside of the screen, so it's just fairly difficult to enjoy looking at it for more than a very brief session :( I would love to pick up BLU unit someday but damn hard to find, and at this point hard to justify not just spending the money on something more powerful.

But honestly - cheesy as it sounds, the feeling of holding a GP32 in one's hands, after all these years of so many devices, it's got a very unique and satisfying feeling never duplicated elsewhere. Kind of like holding an original GBA, it just "feels very satisfying" but in the case of both you'll always have those lighting issues (well yeah, like I said, I wanna BLU!)

Can't really say what else I'd like to see running on GP32 anymore, it's got a pretty solid stable of emus. More MAME is always nice, and I guess SNES emulation is pretty reasonable although it never felt really "right" unless you could OC. I'll vote for a more complete 2600 then, that would be very fitting and satisfying :)

Before I sign off, I want to mention how I miss the good old days when GP32 was really an exciting scene to be a part of, there really was nothing quite like it back in its day. You had to be pretty nerdy to have one, but (even for a game dev, or maybe especially then) one would get lots of looks ad ogles "ohhh what the hell is that!" Even on airlines, people would see me watching ripped vids on it (man, used to be such a pain in the ass to do that, but yes so gratifying! I remember I missed a flight because I was encoding a damn vid - dumbass) - and they'd say "oh great I need to buy one of these things." And of course a couple of years later, PSP came out, iOS devices, etc, and the world completely changed. Before that, I'd be hitting gp32x.de and gbaemu.com daily to see "What are people working on..?" good imes for sure, big thanks to all of those who worked hard to make it so exciting!

I know man, I miss those days, too. :(

I remember I used to play my GP32 in school all the time (not during lectures or anything), and more than once I had someone ask me "Is that a PSP?" a couple of months before the PSP came out.

Back