Stella For Gp2x

zansatsu posted on Feb 5 2006 at 11:56 PM said:
Oh thank god, I was about to start wailing like a madman.

It's been.... well it's been. lol
LOL - sorry about that - I hate it when people do that to me

You think I'd know better by now! :ph34r: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
remowilliams posted on Feb 6 2006 at 01:01 AM said:
zansatsu posted on Feb 5 2006 at 11:56 PM said:
Oh thank god, I was about to start wailing like a madman.

It's been.... well it's been. lol
LOL - sorry about that - I hate it when people do that to me

You think I'd know better by now! :ph34r: :lol:

You'd think I would too. lol

But thanks for showing that a clean install is always a good idea. ;)

One thing i notice is that after I exit and come back later it remembers the ROM that I played last. That is a big NO-NO writing to the card all of the time. It will cause the card to wear out (limited write cycles) and is dangerous because if you shut the unit off or the batteries die when writing it can corrupt the card.

Other than that it is great.

It still hangs in berzerk for me though. It is the same as before. I replaced the GPE and the PRO with the new ones.

DaveC posted on Feb 6 2006 at 12:10 AM said:
It still hangs in berzerk for me though. It is the same as before. I replaced the GPE and the PRO with the new ones.
Wipe out the whole directory you have stella in and try it again, that did it for me ;)

remowilliams posted on Feb 6 2006 at 05:22 AM said:
It still hangs in berzerk for me though.  It is the same as before.  I replaced the GPE and the PRO with the new ones.
Wipe out the whole directory you have stella in and try it again, that did it for me ;)

There is nothing in there except Stella.pro Stella.gpe and the ROMs. I need to delete all of the roms too? That doesn't make sense.

Are you SURE your works? Go into Berzerk and run around, mine still hangs after hitting a diagonal.

remowilliams posted on Feb 6 2006 at 01:22 AM said:

The 'state' directory should be fine to keep too.

Ok I seemed to get it to work now.

One thing though is I am having a hard time with selecting ROMs. It seems to want to jump 2 lines everytime I move the stick. I have to try to flick the stick super fast to get it to move only one space. That is kind of a pain. It is more of a game and takes more skill than many of the games themselves ;)

Is there a way to slow the selector down?

Also a scroll wrap would be nice so if I am on A and want to get to the ROMs around Z I could just press up to wrap and not have to wait awhile to get all of the way down to the bottom.

DaveC posted on Feb 6 2006 at 12:40 AM said:
One thing though is I am having a hard time with selecting ROMs. It seems to want to jump 2 lines everytime I move the stick. I have to try to flick the stick super fast to get it to move only one space.
Yeah, the selector single motion is a *wee* bit to quick. The menu items are the same way, you have to flick the stick - but I'm soo happy with it overall ATM that I didn't even mention it. :)

I've also noticed that every exit from stella seems to hang on me.

DaveC posted on Feb 6 2006 at 01:40 AM said:
Also a scroll wrap would be nice so if I am on A and want to get to the ROMs around Z I could just press up to wrap and not have to wait awhile to get all of the way down to the bottom.

The skipping item thing we thought we fixed, so we will examine that.

As for your 'wrap around' suggestion, as I have mentioned in a previous post, that is on the author's 'todo' list and he is working on it. Thanx for the suggestion, but please read your follow ups.

zansatsu posted on Feb 6 2006 at 05:45 AM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 6 2006 at 01:40 AM said:

The skipping item thing we thought we fixed, so we will examine that.

As for your 'wrap around' suggestion, as I have mentioned in a previous post, that is on the author's 'todo' list and he is working on it. Thanx for the suggestion, but please read your follow ups.

Sorry I didn't remember reading the wrap thing. Was the writing to the card all of the time talked about too? I can't seem to find the posts, sorry if it was mentioned. I think that is a bad idea though.

Thanks again for everything, it is pretty awesome.

DaveC posted on Feb 6 2006 at 01:56 AM said:
Was the writing to the card all of the time talked about too? I can't seem to find the posts, sorry if it was mentioned. I think that is a bad idea though.

This is the first time anyone has brought this to my attention (write life cycle). I will bring this to the attention of the author and we will see what kind of alternatives can be reached.

zansatsu posted on Feb 6 2006 at 06:04 AM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 6 2006 at 01:56 AM said:
Was the writing to the card all of the time talked about too? I can't seem to find the posts, sorry if it was mentioned.  I think that is a bad idea though.

This is the first time anyone has brought this to my attention (write life cycle). I will bring this to the attention of the author and we will see what kind of alternatives can be reached.

Yeah all flash memory has limited writes. It can also be corrupted easily if the batteries go out during a write. It is always best to limit card writes to as little as possible.

Is anyone else getting the freeze when trying to quit the emu?

OK. I'm creating a new thread for "Stella General Suggestions and Bug Reports".

I ask that everyone who posts, please follow these rules (I will repost them in that thread):
1. Please refrain from asking for help in getting your install working in that thread, that's what this thread is for.
2. Please make sure that you are not reporting a bug or making a suggestion for a feature that someone has made before. GP32X already has a hard time keeping us up and running without more of their bandwidth being eaten.
3. Before reporting a bug, please confirm with other users that it is happening to them as well, then give a detailed description of the behavior in question.
4. Please be patient. We know that sometimes programs say and do the darndest things, and while we may have the power to fix them, we don't always have the power to fix them immediately.

Thank you. :D

The Stella General Suggestion and Bug report thread is located here:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=25523

There is a shell script [thanx to remowilliams] that fixes the exit bug, posted to my website at:
http://zansatsu0.tripod.com/stella.html
Place it in the same directory as your 'stella.gpe' and be sure to run 'stellalaunch.gpe' instead of 'stella.gpe'. Future releases will incorporate this script (or a form of it). Be sure to 'Save Link as' or 'Save Page as' otherwise it will open the script in the window.

http://zansatsu0.tripod.com/stella.html
http://archive.gp2x.de/

Okie dokie. Revision 2 is up at my site and the gp2x archives. Warlords is fixed. We are still working on the item skip bug. You will now have three files in your main directory instead of just the previous two. Cheats were also disabled, the reason is two fold: without a keyboard, you can't use the cheat feature and disabling the cheats cuts down on writes to the SD. Thanks all.

Back